Afternoon Energy Slump

Options
Today, I seem to be especially tired - but totally hit a wall this afternoon. What do you do when this happens to you? Do you eat something (in the old days, I'd reach for a cookie or something sweet to get my buzz going) or get up and walk around? I need ideas for how to beat this feeling without eating junk food.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You're probably having a low blood glucose "crash." Fight these best by eating foods that don't cause a dip in your blood glucose, OR recognize it might be normal for you to get moments like these and plan a light meal for mid afternoon. I'm just starting my mid-PM snack right now! That way, I can make it to dinner without being FAMISHED and grumpy and eating ALL THE PASTA I can find.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Today, I seem to be especially tired - but totally hit a wall this afternoon. What do you do when this happens to you? Do you eat something (in the old days, I'd reach for a cookie or something sweet to get my buzz going) or get up and walk around? I need ideas for how to beat this feeling without eating junk food.

Coffee or energy drinks
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I agree with WBB55. Also, how much are you eating in general? You could be under eating....
  • Nncw12
    Nncw12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I crash around 2pm - 3pm. I've been trying to fight the urge to snack (sugary stuff). I've been getting up and walk around (sometimes the stairs) to get me going.
    i've been drinking crystal light "energy wild strawberry". i think it helps. I've also been eating a little bit later than usual, trying to eat around 12:30 - 1pm.
    maybe some of these tricks would work for you? good luck.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree with WBB55. Also, how much are you eating in general? You could be under eating....

I was thinking this same thing
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    If you have room for extra cals, I suggest you eat something. Caffeine is also a great option.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Play around with your personal meal timing. For me, I have the best energy all day since I stopped eating breakfast. I have protein coffee through the morning, and then eat a substantial 'lunch' around 1pm, which holds me through the rest of the day and my evening workout. Sometimes, I never get around to really eating that lunch, and just snack all the way from 1pm to the end of the day. Both ways have pretty similar caloric content, and high energy.

I just want to be clear that I am not suggesting that my eating schedule is optimal for you- just that you should be open to different options until you find what works best for you.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Ahh I remember those mid day slumps right after lunch. I would usually feel comatose. Glad I changed my meal timings to avoid this.
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have opened up my food diary...I totally welcome feedback on it - especially if anyone has any ideas on how I could be doing better. I try really hard to have healthy, low-cal snacks around and try to eat like 6 times per day. Unfortunately, my heart does not care for caffein so I must decline coffee and energy drinks ; )

I may be coming in a little under my calories (not much, though), but I think I'm doing well in other areas?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I have opened up my food diary...

The first ingredient in the Hot Pocket you ate today at lunch is unbleached enriched wheat flour. That's a very easily digestible starch and can cause blood glucose spikes and dips. Did you experience this lull yesterday after eating the brownberry? I think brownberry's number one ingredient is 100% whole grain wheat, which is a much more complex carb and less likely to cause blood glucose dips.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Coffee or some caffeinated beverage. When convenient, 15-minute power naps help me.
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Did you experience this lull yesterday after eating the brownberry? I think brownberry's number one ingredient is 100% whole grain wheat, which is a much more complex carb and less likely to cause blood glucose dips.
    [/quote]

As a matter of fact, I did not hit this lull yesterday. I actually don't know why I went reaching for the hot pocket (which was freezer burned for goodness sakes) when I had other very healthy options available...like baked salmon! That's interesting!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    green tea!

although I'm out today so just went and got a diet coke