Too Fat to Ice Skate?

Options
I used to love ice skating as a kid but am I too fat to skate now?? I worry that I might fall and injure myself since I've got so much more.. "mass" now. Any big skaters out there?

Replies

• bids55
    bids55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    :smile: No such thing as too fat to ice skate! Go on out and have some fun
  • 91MoreRep91
    Options
    Why would Ice Skating be any different than walking or running? Get that "I'm too fat" *kitten* outta your head and kick some *kitten*!! :)
  • fraggles1805
    fraggles1805 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did it at 260lbs, was the biggest wuss. Could skate as a kid and figured I would just glide back onto the ice but never let go of the side. I wasn't overly worried as I figured I had more padding if I fell :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, I vote no, you're not 'too fat'. But as for injuries....I've never been a good skater. Went out with my kids and did GREAT. Didn't fall once. Yay me. Thought I found another good form of exercise. Went out by myself one night, fell, split my chin open. Down to the bone. Awesome. I was fine, but I kind of shied away from it now.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I went ice skating last winter, when I weighed 357 pounds. The only issue I noticed was the top of the skates kind of dug into my calves, right where the muscle curves toward my ankle. It made my legs really sore, and I had to stop every few minutes.

Other than that, it was just like ice skating when I was 160 pounds. Balancing is really good for your core, and it's great exercise for your legs.

Have fun!
  • segooey
    segooey Posts: 24
    Options
    If you're worried about hurting yourself from falling, you might want to consider playing ice hockey. You'll be covered in pads, so injury risk is minor.

If there is a rink near you, check if they have an instructional league. You can get used gear on the cheap from places like Play It Again Sports or ask around, people always have extra stuff. Get some properly fitted skates, last year's models sell for cheap, and viola, you'll be burning calories like no other. In hockey, if you're not falling down, you're not trying hard enough. Put on some pads and go fall down!
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    more fat is more cushioning, go for it!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Go for it!
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Skating is wonderful exercise. I have really slimmed down from it. I used to skate as a child as well, and recently went back to it. Never regretted it a moment!
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Well I am excited and definitely going to go for it! I'll just have to skip practicing my triple axles, I guess. :P
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    why would you be any more prone to getting hurt than you are walking etc? go skate. go be active. Motivate yourself to be more active every day then this question won't be a question any more.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Do you have strong ankles? How long can you stand on one foot? Can you stand on one foot, lean forward with your arms stretched out and stand back up again? (Slowly, please!)

Those questions are much more important than what size you are. My partner is much stronger, more fit than I, and has a low BMI, but we don't ice skate for this reason.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I skate at 300#.
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You can do it! No such thing as too fat to do something! You may tire out quicker, but take plenty of rest breaks and keep on. It's an excellent form of exercise!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do you have strong ankles? How long can you stand on one foot? Can you stand on one foot, lean forward with your arms stretched out and stand back up again? (Slowly, please!)

Those questions are much more important than what size you are. My partner is much stronger, more fit than I, and has a low BMI, but we don't ice skate for this reason.

That's a good point. I have excellent balance and posture, whereas some of my thin friends trip over thin air. :)