A snack that won't cost a bazillion calories?

Options
I'm looking for a snack that I can have between lunch and dinner that isn't a bunch of calories per serving. And it'd be a plus if the ingredients weren't too pricey. I get lots of good ideas online, but most of those ingredients I would never normally purchase at the store.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I usually carry almonds and dried cranberries with me for the bus ride home, (the 4:00 starvation cycle) though if you're at home I'd recommend popcorn! light, cheap, high in fiber and delicious (so long as you pop it at home and don't by the bagged stuff)
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Lettuce rollup with sliced turkey and cheese
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for a snack or meal?

My afternoon snacks are usually edamame, greek yogurt, apple with almond butter, cuties, grapes, string cheese, or some veggies.

Keep it simple!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    half a pb sandwich on whole wheat and natural almonds are my favorites that keep me full
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat fruit & veggies at that time. However, today, I had Laughing Cow Cheese and 1 serving of Wheat Thins.
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Pickles if you like them. At 4 calories per spear, you can have several!
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    LIte Baby Bell cheese and 4 or 5 Blue Diamond Nut-thins (any flavour).
  • toto_smile
    toto_smile Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow these are great ideas. Thanks! (: I'm a snacker so I needed a few options to keep me going throughout the day while I sit at my desk.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    baby carrots and hummus, approx. 100 cals per serving. About $3-4 total and will last you about 5 days.

whatever greek yogurt is on sale

1/2 cup quick oats, add in whatever you want (I add cinnamon and raisins)

a piece of fruit

pretzels dipped in light laughing cow cheese (about 145 cals for 1oz of pretzels and 1 wedge of cheese)
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've heard that trail mix is one of the best afternoon snacks. Healthy, and has a great mix of fat, carbs, sugars to give you another boost of energy to finish your day.
    I used to buy a big bag, then pre-package measured amounts so I don't overdo it.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Microwave popcorn. I don't use the commercial microwave popcorn bags, I coat a couple of tablespoons of popcorn in a little bit of oil and then place the kernels in a brown lunch bag with the fold side down. Microwave on high, making sure you don't burn the kernels. For about a 100 calories, it's a great snack and the fiber really keeps my hunger at bay!
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt. I have one every day around 2:30-3:30, it's about $0.90 and 140 cals (depending on the brand). Super easy and yummy :) I also sometimes do an apple with some almonds (If I just eat the apple alone it makes me hungrier but if I pair it with nuts it holds me to dinner).
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt. I have one every day around 2:30-3:30, it's about $0.90 and 140 cals (depending on the brand). Super easy and yummy :) I also sometimes do an apple with some almonds (If I just eat the apple alone it makes me hungrier but if I pair it with nuts it holds me to dinner).

Oh, I had not thought to do an apple WITH almonds.. that is a great idea! I also do the greek yogurt but some of my clients don't have refrigerators..
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup lowfat (1%) cottage cheese and 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes = 100 calories. sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper. eat it by itself or add 7 reduced fat triscuit crackers (+120 calories) = 220 calories

cucumber and carrots with hummus (2 oz. classic hummus = 150 calories)

small apple (60 cal) and laughing cow (light creamy swiss or light garlic and herb) wedge (35 cal) = 95 calories very portable, because the wedge does not have to be refrigerated.

wendy's chili (small, no crackers) = 210 calories and i think it's only 99 cents. sometimes on tuesdays, my wendy's has BOGOF chili. get a few and put them in the freezer.

that chili is also good on a baked potato (plain) and it makes a complete meal for 480 calories. the potato is also on the 99 cent menu, if i'm not mistaken. well, i might be wrong. the other day i got them both and the total came to $3.19.

happy snacking!
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Microwave popcorn. I don't use the commercial microwave popcorn bags, I coat a couple of tablespoons of popcorn in a little bit of oil and then place the kernels in a brown lunch bag with the fold side down. Microwave on high, making sure you don't burn the kernels. For about a 100 calories, it's a great snack and the fiber really keeps my hunger at bay!

I do the same thing but with no oil. Once it is done popping I spray some non stick cooking spray and add a little salt. Probably the lowest calorie, non-artificially sweetened, filling, snack possible.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My favorites from being at work is a 100 calorie pack of almonds or a Special K protein meal bar (170 calories, 10g. of protein)

Keeps me moving between meals at the office.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Snack_choices.jpg
  • glittersupernova
    glittersupernova Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hmm, the kind of healthy snacks I enjoy include:

--apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon (no sugar)

--whole wheat crackers or a mini salad topped with hummus

--cucumber slices topped with a little bit of low-fat tuna salad and fresh dill

--low fat/fat-free yogurt with berries and/or low fat granola

--fruit salad