How effective is Zumba?

Options
I'm considering getting Zumba Fitness for the Xbox Kinect but how effective is it? I've never done Zumba before.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    It's a fun way to do some exercise....is that what you mean? If you do anything, you're lapping the people on the couch....typing on their computers....:noway:
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I heard good things about it. I have Zumba on my PS3 and I feel like it is doing something for me. It gets my heart rate up. I also am not a morning person and never exercised in the morning before but I do now that I have Zumba!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    ..not beig snarky....I have Zumba DVDs and I like them. Try it, you can burn several hundred calories in a hour session. It is fun.
  • dnhardy
    dnhardy Posts: 59
    Options
    Before I started on here, I lost about 15 lbs doing Zumba on my Kinect 5-6 days a week. It was a great starting point. Its also really good for days you don't feel like a "real" workout. Like someone said above, at least you're moving.
  • toothfairy79
    toothfairy79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba on my Wii and let me tell you, it is the best.. you don't feel like you exercise because it is so much fun!!! you will love it.. and it makes your heart pumps No doubt about it:)
  • SamanthaSpade831
    Options
    Thank you all! I'll have to get it. I'm mostly looking for calories burned without getting bored. It seems like it will be fun!
  • lindseym18
    Options
    I love Zumba! I have the dvd set, and when I don't feel like exercising, I just pop in the 20 minute dvd in. It goes by super fast, and I think it's really fun! It gets me moving, and I always try to imagine myself like I'm performing in front of an audience. That definitely motivates me to push myself even further. I love it because I don't feel like I'm exercising!
  • Valarie73
    Valarie73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Zumba in class is far better, but the Zumba games can be a good workout too. Just know that the games tend to overestimate how much you actually burned. I wear a HRM when I do Zumba Wii and I burn consistently 100 or more calories LESS than what it claims I burned.

That being said, it is fun exercise, and makes for a great way to burn some calories when you can't, or don't feel like getting out to the gym or class.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Dancing is one of my favorite forms of exercise. It's so much fun and gets my heart rate way up, but it doesn't feel like "work". I love "Just Dance" and "Zumba". I go to the gym too, because I like feeling like a beast, but those are definitely my go-to exercises.
  • 91MoreRep91
    Options
    Zumba is as effective as you make it.. Make it a point to finish drenched in sweat :) I do have to say a class is the best way to go cause there are some psychos in there that get you super pumped and ya go that much harder. Have fun!