it seems that i have to join a gym anyway

Options
hey , its been a week on MFP and i planned to have exercise 5 times a week for 60 minutes but i actually didnt. i just did it twice and i dont seem to be doing it in the future , cauze iam a working mother and really busy. but mu husband promised me to babysit our daughter if i joined a gym.
its going to be exausting , do you think i should??!!

Replies

• MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think you should! It sounds exhausting but once you get started you won't see it that way. My boyfriend and I last year joined a gym and because we spent the money on it we were more prompted to go 3x a week. After the first 2 weeks is was like a drug. I'd be sitting at work.. "Gah, I can't wait to get to the gym and see how long I can stay on the elliptical today." It was great. I eventually got laid off and had to cancel our membership. I so think you should do it. Get a buddy, it will be fun and it will work wonders for you. Not to mention, babysitter for 2 hours at a time? Chyea!! Go!!!:drinker:
  • redtulips
    redtulips Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanx Soon2besmith 10 for yuor reply. i will start checking the gyms in my area.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Definitely! I have a pretty busy schedule as well. I watch my nephew from 6AM-5PM every day of the week followed by night classes that end around 8:30. I have to wake up at 4:30AM to go to the gym, and it is so worth it!! As crazy as it sounds, exerting that energy in the morning gives me more energy throughout the day.
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with gyms when choosing. Many of them will be full of beautiful people and have lots of shinny expensive equipment sitting around. Just because they look nice doesn't mean it is a good gym. After all you are not paying them to have a pretty place and all the latest equipment, you are paying them to help you get a good workout. You want a gym that has some cardio equipment and some free weights but more importantly some people who really care about fitness (not appearance) and will take the time to give you good advice. Good luck in your gym search.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You will find that working out regularly gives you more energy. I am very much like Soon2be . I gave up caffeine a year and a half ago and exercise is my drug of choice. It wakes me up in the morning better than caffeine and gives me the buzz I need. Besides that, it is a great stress reliever.

I do agree with summersmi...make sure you are careful with the gym you pick. Make sure it is well maintained and equiped the way you want it. Don't fall for promises of things they will do in the future.
  • mdb120776
    mdb120776 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was in a position like that as well and I dreaded to go wondering when I was going to have time. After about a month going, I was excited when I got the chance. Now after going for six months I feel bad and disappointed in myself if I don't go.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Like most moms, we feel guilty taking time away from our families to do something for ourselves, BUT exercise is not just about us...overall the long run it will benefit everyone if we practice a healthly lifestyle, not to mention the great example you will be setting for your children.

Make the time and take the time. Sometimes it will be extremely hard, but it will be sooo worth it.

God bless.
  • SweetCharity
    Options
    Have you thought about doing workout videos at home? I used to be a gym rat, but now I love the freedom doing a workout program gives me. I can workout whenever I feel like in whatever I feel like. I workout in my underwear often at times that my gym is already closed.
  • redtulips
    redtulips Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i have a workout video that i never used since i got married cauze i always found an excuse to not use it like cooking , cleaning , hanging out with friends and now i am always busy with my 14 months daughter.
    so it seems that i have to be out of the house and in the gym to do any wourkout, we have to admit it life is sometimes overwhelming.
  • nikkolatwell
    Options
    I can understand your lack of motivation. My son is 2 next week and I am a working mom. It is really hard to come home want to collapse and do nothing but instead get your butt going and go to the gym.

I am our family's sole provider, my husband was laid off over a year ago and is now back in college. My MIL takes care of my son during the day, so it is just him and her. My motivation comes from getting my son some kid time. He goes to our gyms daycare while I take cycling class. Class is an hour and he spends a total of 75 minutes with the kids playing and interacting.

I dont know your family situation but this has been a great motivator for me not only do I need to workout but my son needs the socal interaction so even if I dont want to go I look at him and know he needs to play.

Lastly I would so recommend spin/cycling classes. I have found my grove and I am loving class, it kills me but I know I am working hard and burning calories. I dont have a HRM but I ask around and most people fit and fat burn between 600 and 1000 calories in the hour class, I estimate 750 (I like to count low incase I was lazy).

I would not be afraid of the thin fit people, yes they can be intemidating but this is not high school you deserve to be healthy for you and for your family. Maybe get your husband involoved, mine play basketball while I spin : )

Best of luck, feel free to add me if you want a new friend.

Good Luck on your journey be strong.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely worth it. We all got here by putting other people and things before taking care of ourselves. Working out at home has a place in your routine, but by going somewhere else to work out, you're creating a new routine for yourself that makes time for you. That is so, so important. I am a busy student, and I live in a dorm room with two roommates. I've come to value my gym time as "me time," where I can think in peace and get a little perspective on things.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You will find that going to the gym,oddly enough, gives you a break from your everyday life. The one that has made you fearful of joining a gym. But once you get started, you wont want to stop, its a break away from the norm, albeit a very painful yet rewarding break.
    It is a vacation , doesnt seem like a fun one during sometimes, but when your done and driving home, you feel the benefits of it, you are pumped, full of life, happy to have acheived a new goal or record, eager to tell your signiifcant other...you are now a proud gym member....proud of your accomplishments, proud of your progress.