Has anyone tried the P90X home workouts?

Options
If so, how was it?

I'm considering starting an at home workout routine to mix it up in between my neighborhood jogs. I just got laid off from my job on monday and it's starting to seem silly to pay for a gym that I have to go out of my way to go to.

so, what do you think of P90X? I saw the infomercial, and like most infomercials, it was pretty convincing but I wanted to get some real feedback on it.

Thanks in advance for your two cents!

Erika

Replies

• SamanthaSpade831
    Options
    I've heard that P90X is less intense than Insanity and is more recommended.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    It's great! I haven't finished - just started, but I'm going it very much!
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options

You can't really compare P90X and Insanity. Insanity is just intense cardio, P90X is weights, with some regular cardio on off days.

I started P90X about a month ago, because I had to quit the gym too. It is ok - pretty much all isolation moves so it seems a bit tedious, if that isn't your thing... how many bicep curls can one person really do :wink:

I bought a cheap adjustable weight set and a resistance tube, all for about $30. If the weights aren't heavy enough, do the weights and add the band. So, the positive part, which I was worried about, is that it is quite cheap to get sufficient equipment for :smile:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

The cardio is less intense, but it is overall a better balanced program. Still definitly not a beginners one....
    Go take a look at the P90X game Changers group - lots of people doing it and checking in daily...I love it,
  • Chrisw047
    Options
    I've done P90X, P90X2 and Insanity. All 3 are great programs and very different from each other. P90X mixes everything up into 1 program. You get your weight training, cardio, plyometrics and even yoga. Keep in mind these are all extreme programs so they are not for everyone. Insanity is not more intense then P90X, just very different. Insanity is pure cardio and plyometrics with some recovery videos.P90X is everything rolled into 1 program it is very difficult. I would recommend it to athletes. If someone just wants to get into and stay in shape I would recommend one of the other beachbody programs. Hope this helps..
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the difficulty claims of P90X. I went from sitting on my @$$ for about 900 days straight to doing my best at P90X and actually SEEING results after just 30 days.

But the difference between P90X and Insanity seems accurate, though I haven't tried Insanity. If it is in fact cardio & Plyo, then it's gonna burn fat for sure. P90X on the other hand, includes weight training (and yoga, and Kenpo, and Plyo), and I think that if you do your best, it's a great bet.

But they're expensive. So, if it's a question about additional accoutrements, you're gonna need NOTHING for Insanity except the DVD's and space. For P90X, you need some weights (which I hope you already have), bands (optional), and a pullup bar (or a place to put the bands to get the ceiling to floor angle you get with pull-ups).

Depends on your goals. I want to try Insanity, but if I had to choose all over again, I'd go P90X. It's the real deal, plus Tony's dialogue is hilarious (in a stupid way... really it's just endearing).
  • s_forlini
    Options
    How commited are you to completing it? P90X is a 6 day per week program and 1 rest day, for 90 days. Each day requires about an hour with the cooldown, except the yoga which goes up to 90 minutes. It is definitely a well rounded program with weights, cardio, and yoga. A great plan, its as challenging as you want it to be as you can adjust the level intensity to your liking with either heavier weights or quicker tempo. I've recommended it to a lot of people. It does require some equipment. A yoga mat, a pull-up bar, and I would recommend dumbbells instead of bands (if you have the $ for them).

As Chrisw047 mentioned, it isn't for everyone. There is actually a "fit test" that will help you determine if you are physically able to do the program. Seeing as you run and already go to a gym, I assume you are athletic or active enough for it.
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Forlini is right--the fitness test can be found online at Beachbody.com

See if you can do that, and assess whether you're up for the full schedule of workouts.

It's awesome, I must say.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I finished P90X and I enjoyed the program. I lost 15 lbs and quite a few inches. I got stronger and more flexible. Great program. Now I am working on Insanity. Way more intense cardio. If you want to burn fat, its probably the way to go, if you can push yourself. I really think almost anyone can do it, because at first you may only last 10 seconds per exercise and that's ok, because next time you may add a second or 2 and as long as you are sweating you are burning calories. That goes for P90X too. "Do your best, forget the rest."
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's a good program. 6 days/week of exercise plus diet. Works on pretty mush everything; strength, cardio, flexibility, abs, plyometrics, etc.
  • Edgerl12
    Options
    I am considering doing it starting march first im doin the gym and adkins diet so wish me luck thanks in advance
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good program- I did it for about 1.5 months at home, following the workout schedule exactly, and I lost 8 lbs! I think the reason why it's successful is that you are working out for about an hour 6 days a week! They're challenging workouts, but not impossible. The tough thing (just like any workout program)- if you don't follow the schedule and eat healthy, you won't see the results you want.