Replies

• iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed this, it was funny!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Relax people, it was written when I was in school and working multiple retail jobs. It's just a joke....that many retail people obviously identify with. Don't take it personally.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

7) Take your stuff out of the basket!! Don't just plop it on the counter and proceed to pick your nose!
    Does this one really make cashier's mad? I do it at the grocery store all the time, but they never say anything to me.

So do I (not the nose picking part!). I never realized taking from the hand basket to scan was so much more difficult than picking it up from the counter or conveyor belt.

It's not more difficult but it takes longer to reach in and over when if on the belt they can slide over the scanner. Cashiers have quotas to meet on items per minute and it affects their pay scale and promotions!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Some of this made me LOL because it's so true and so frustrating... some of it made me wince because honey... wow... you just made yourself sound bad. But mostly I laughed.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    wwww.notalwaysright.com

My favorite funny website!!
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Remember, stay in school, kids.

Some people paid their way through school by being a cashier (myself through high school, and then multiple other jobs for college). Its pretty shortsighted to assume that if someone is a cashier, they must have dropped out of school.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that I absolutely do not mind people who talk on their cell phone while at my checkout!

One time this guy starts yelling: SHUT UP! I'm talking here! And it took me a minute to realize he meant the person ON THE PHONE. He then smiled sweetly at me and chatted me up.

But mostly I like not having to commence with the stupid small talk. I don't mind just putting their items through and sending them along. So long as they don't make me wait for payment and everything goes smoothly I don't mind the cell phone talkers at all!
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

15) When a new cashier opens a till and says "I can help the next person in line" that doesn't mean the last person...wait your turn!! People have been waiting longer then you, just because you're faster doesn't mean you deserve to be served first.

THIS ^^^

and please, hang up your phone- as someone else said. That is SO rude!!!
  • WolfChylde
    WolfChylde Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love the people who are like :stay in school kids" or some other derogatory remark. It's a tough job market and you don't know everyone's situation.

Seriously though, yes yes and yes. treat your cashier kindly, they go through a lot of hell. Especially those who work in retail. Everyone expects you to treat them like a special snowflake.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    I love the people who are like :stay in school kids" or some other derogatory remark. It's a tough job market and you don't know everyone's situation.

Seriously though, yes yes and yes. treat your cashier kindly, they go through a lot of hell. Especially those who work in retail. Everyone expects you to treat them like a special snowflake.

^^QFT
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Some people paid their way through school by being a cashier (myself through high school, and then multiple other jobs for college). Its pretty shortsighted to assume that if someone is a cashier, they must have dropped out of school.
    I did not interpret this as a jab at the OP. I saw it more as "Unless you want to have to deal with this kind of crap all of your adult life, improve your chances of avoiding it by continuing your education". That would, in fact, be a true statement. Sure, it's a tough job market, but a degree will improve your chances of not having to work as a cashier and deal with the kinds of things the OP listed.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm not a cashier- but I have a general transaction complaint to make.

STOP PAYING FOR THINGS WITH PERSONAL CHECKS!!
    It's super annoying for everyone involved. Get a check card like a person who lives in the 21st century.
    I know every once in a while there are extenuating circumstances that are forgivable, and it's expected if your 80+y/o but everybody else needs to get with the program.

Thank you, that is all.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm not a cashier- but I have a general transaction complaint to make.

STOP PAYING FOR THINGS WITH PERSONAL CHECKS!!
    It's super annoying for everyone involved. Get a check card like a person who lives in the 21st century.
    I know every once in a while there are extenuating circumstances that are forgivable, and it's expected if your 80+y/o but everybody else needs to get with the program.

Thank you, that is all.

My grandmother does this still. She doesn't even fill it out before she gets in line. SO SLOW.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

so, hot coffee just spurted out of my nose and onto my key board. i blame you.
  • aekimz23
    aekimz23 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This list is way too over-the top. It's your job, you do get paid. I've been a cashier before too, did I love the customers who made my job a hell of a lot harder than it needed to be? Honestly, no, I didn't, but there's a reason you're there and it's to deal with these people. The only customers I would ever complain about at the end of the day are the ones who are deliberately rude and give me an attitude. The only inconvenience I hated were the fully capable customers who would stand there and stare at the screen as I ring up the items in their huge order, and force me to actually stop scanning the items and start bagging, and then walk around the till and put each and every bag in their cart for them, not helping whatsoever. I don't care if I have to bag an order or not, but the least you can do is realize that you simply have too much stuff, the screens not going anywhere, get to bagging or in the very LEAST, put the bags in your own cart.

3) If you are a member of the place you're shopping at, I shouldn't have to ask for the card...get it out and ready for me...do you know how many times a day i say "are you a worklife rewards member"...you try it.
    Is this menial? Yes. Is it the customer's fault that's a part of your job description? No. I always have the card out, but I'm not gonna shove it in the cashier's hand, so I wait for them to ask. Doesn't mean I'm not ready.

9) I don't make the prices!!! If you get it cheaper somewhere else, by all means go there!!
    You're the person who's there when the price scans. Who do you think they're gonna bring this up to, the manager? You're there to provide customer service, say, "I'm sorry ma'am/sir, would you like me to take the item off the order?" If it goes into a further stink, alert them to talk about it with your manager, it's not like you can change the price.

10) I don't order the products either. If we're out of stock, sucks to be you.
    A simple, "I'm sorry," goes a long way.

13) If you're in a huge line, and you hear me ask each and every damn person for their membership card, get yours ready. While you're at it, get your method of payment ready because you're holding up the line while you dig around for change.
    I keep my method of payment in my pockets until I'm good and ready to use it. Why? Because I'm too busy bagging my own order to pull it out, therefore helping you with your job, nobody ever complains about THAT holding the line up.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a position that does not put you in contact with the public?
    love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My heart pumps peanut butter for you! Be thankful you have a job! Sheesh!
  • GonnaBSkinnee
    GonnaBSkinnee Posts: 10 Member
    Options

YUP!! :wink:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You should probably add:

Don't talk on the phone while I am ringing you up!

Seriously, that's just so rude!
    Sorry, can't co-sign on this! As long as I'm attentive, moving promptly, and not loud, I don't think I necessarily get off of the phone. It's not like I'm ordering food or something. I say my hello/thank you/goodbye and pay for my stuff without issue, so what's it to you if I'm on the phone?
    But then again, my phone calls are usually succinct. I'm the sorta person who had a 100 min/month plan for years and barely used half of it. I have 300m/mo now, but only because that the minimum allotment with unlimited text/data plan ($35/mo).

This is seriously the minority. I wait on 3-400 people a day (more when the economy doesn't suck) and maybe two or three can do a transaction without getting distracted by the conversation. Even if it's just looking out the window, listening to what the other person is saying or rooting for loose change in your pocket/purse and I'm standing there asking you if you need anything else while waiting for a response. It holds up the line.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    You must be great in bed.

LMAO!