Having a horrible time getting my calories in

Options
Hello all! I have been eating healthier and randomly exercising for 2 weeks now and the biggest problem I have found is that I have a really hard time getting my minimum calories in. Here's the short background:

Until 2 weeks ago, I only ate once a day which was typically the drive thru on my way to my mid night shift job. I sit in a dispatch center for 10 hours then would come home and sleep for 4-6 hours. I did not exercise. Ever. Period. I was seldom actually hungry. On my days off, I might eat 2 meals. I feel like I'm eating tons and stay pretty full the entire day but will find that I'm short on calories by the end of the day. I enjoy healthy foods. I have even begun to enjoy cooking again. I guess what my question is what do you do when you are not hungry but you know you NEED to eat. I am only trying to lose 1 pound per week because for me, I feel that is the best way to keep it off in the long run. I don't want to eat something with a high calorie number but is not a healthy choice, just to get my numbers in because I'm afraid I will start eating what is quick and easy and not so much of the healthy.
Thanks in advance! =)

Replies

• dar8600
    dar8600 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi;

I am a firm believer in the eat 5 small meals a day plan. My diet is open so you can peek at it if you need any ideas. I have learned that you have to eat to lose weight and for a while I was at the low end of the intake while working out 2x a day. I plateaued and had to eat a bunch more to start losing again. I am up to 2060 a day and dropping weight but I also am running 4x a week and doing the Combat program 6x a week. If you can fit some exercise into your schedule you will be more inclined to eat which is a good thing. Always eat breakfast, and spread the next 4 meals throughout the day. I also don't eat after 7pm but that's just me and I am kind of weird..lol

Good luck and i hope this helps!!!

Take care, Dan
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    Try fitting in healthy calorie-dense items like avocados [250 cal per - Hass variety], nuts [1oz of dry roasted, unsalted almonds is 122 cal] or fish [1/2 filet of Atlantic salmon is 281 cal].
  • mrsricta
    Options
    I also agree that you can fit in some healthy higher calorie choices. Nuts are a great choice if you like them, particularly almonds which offer a lot of nutritional benefits! The best snacks/meals are the ones that are high in protein, maybe try some greek yogurt, peanut butter, protein shakes, etc.