IBS Help

Options
Hi,

Dealing with an IBS flare up and I don't know what to do to help my symptoms!! Any advice??

-Kim

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Bland foods, stay away from spicy or greasy foods, or a lot of complex fiber. Some people have a problem with diary, so you may want to stay away from that for a while if it bothers you. Soups are good for me when mine flares up.

ETA- taking a powder fiber like metamucil or Citracel is good for balancing out your system. Just don't eat a lot of fibrous veggies, especially if you haven't been used to eating a lot of them before.
  • Kimma34
    Kimma34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What can I do now to relieve symptoms? I'm in a lot of pain, with gas and bloating....................

-Kim
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The triggers for IBS can be different for everybody. When I have a flare up, I have to cut out most of my normal foods (especially fatty foods, meat, dairy and legumes) for about a week or so until things calm down. I eat mostly rice, lean chicken breast, papayas, bananas (which I normally hate but they are easy to digest), steamed and mashed carrots, beets, potatoes, balsamic vinegar and just a little bit of olive oil to get my fats in. I have trouble keeping my weight up during these flare-ups because eating makes me feel nauseated. (I'm already at goal weight and use MFP for maintenance and to make sure I get enough calories when I'm sick.) Good luck and remember it's a cycle, so it won't last forever! :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    Options
    Drink pharmaceutical grade peppermint tea (slightly more expensive and found at health food stores), try fennel tea as well.
  • Kimma34
    Options
    r u on meds for IBS?? I haven't been officially diagnosed.....................
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Tylenol for pain, gas medicine can help with the bloating. I figured out that I have a problem with wheat, so I stay away from it now and it has helped a lot. Warm showers can help in the meantime.
  • Kimma34
    Options
    How long will this last? I don't want to go the whole weekend...............UGH!!! Thanks!!
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have heard that some patients that have been diagnosed with IBS or Crones, actually have been mis-diagnosed..and actually are having gluten issues of some sort..stay away from wheat and other souces of gluten, to see if maybe this is what is causing your IBS symptoms....google CELIAC on the internet for more information....it is worth looking into:

as for gas and bloating, try peppermint, tea or drops..peppermint.candy might help too

also, it's just possible you have a case of gastritis, which is an inflamation of the stomach...if you keep having stomach issues, I'd suggest you see your DR about it...

....hope you feel better...:smile
  • jenilla1
    Options
    I have been officially diagnosed, and have seen about 4 different doctors for it, but I do not take IBS meds. Very few meds are totally effective for IBS treatment and they usually come with nasty side effects. I use diet and exercise to control stress and keep my flare ups to a minimum. My IBS comes with nausea and vomiting, as well as the usual symptoms. I have to be VERY careful with the foods I eat or I trigger easily - especially with fatty foods. My IBS forces me to eat healthy food and that helps keep me slim. I guess it's the only good side effect. :wink:
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I always find relief from eating black licorice.....my personal dose is about 5 or 6 jelly beans. I know it sounds looney but it works for me within 30 to 45 minutes!

What have you got to lose for trying?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    try going gluten free. it's really not that hard, and you'll feel a million times better.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    I always find relief from eating black licorice.....

Anise (the flavoring in black licorice) was used in ancient times as a treatment for digestive problems. I hadn't thought of that before. Thanks for the idea. I will try it! :drinker:

Edited - to fix grammar error!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I read an article about this today. Google diet for Crohn's disease and you'll find some resources for IBS as well. (mayo clinic for one) Meantime, some heat on your abdomen may be soothing.
  • MadameMoustache
    MadameMoustache Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'll go with what others said:peppermint tea. Try some good quality stuff (organic and/or pharmaceutical grade), maybe go for herbal tea since caffeine can be harsh on the digestive system.
    I discovered that wheat based products were creating digestive distress, bloating and gas for me.
    Maybe try to cut down on those products (you may want to replace it with gluten-free products) and see how it is going.
    Also : if you are consuming artificial sweeteners, cut it down, it can induce digestive discomfort also.
    Fresh foods. I found out that eating plain raw veggies helps me.
    And cut down on fizzy drinks (water, sodas ...).
    You can also lay down with a hot pocket on your stomach (water, grains like "magic bag")

Hope it gets better.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i'm going on a week with terrible IBS...started Align 3 day ago, first 2 days I was fine, today, bad gas pains.....but gonna keep up the Align probiotics, takes a week to kick in but worth it I guess , and its hard being Paleo to eat a bland diet, ie bread, rice potatos, can;t eat any of those, so frustrating
  • trumpeteramu
    trumpeteramu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have IBS, Lactose Intolerance, and Acid reflux combined. The best advice I can give to you is to remember what you eat and see what reaction you have to the different foods. For me, it is difficult, if not impossible, to eat foods with too much citric acid (aka oranges/orange juice, graapefruit/grapefruit juice, lemon juice with too much pulp, jelly beans, and foods with too much fat in it). I am on Protonix, Lomotil, and Dairy relief pills. Feel free to add me if you want