what to expect? (:

Options
Hi! So I'm really trying to get serious about being healthier, and i was wondering what one may expect.(weight wise) So here are the goals:
1200 calories
About 40-50 mins of exercise 6-7days a week
Junk food only once every week
And losing around 35-40 lbs.
Are these unrealistic? Id just like some input please ! Thanx comments appreciated ((:!

Replies

• eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    Eat more: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Set realistic expectations for yourself, and you'll do just fine. :)
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    1200 calories
    Is this the goal MFP set for you?
    About 40-50 mins of exercise 6-7days a week
    30 a day five days a week would be sufficient. Make sure you're keeping your body fueled for that much exercise.
    And losing around 35-40 lbs.
    Over the span of a few months, yes. Don't expect it to be any quicker.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Set realistic goals, eat well and you can become as healthy as...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQrrV0TfjOr5jTe8RVhhiOYpXXgEJsqCub1WH01eJK4hWk4_mJaw
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    More or less realistic, I think. Just make sure that you consider the exercise and NET 1200 calories. If you exercise, you burn additional calories so you need to eat additional calories to compensate. If you exercise vigorously for an hour every day and only consume 1200 calories, you aren't giving your body enough fuel to do the exercise and stay healthy.

No food is inherently "good" or "bad" Don't restrict yourself to some arbitrary limit on food type. of course, if you eat nothing but chocolate, you aren't going to be well nourished or very full, but if you want a square of dark chocolate 3X a week...then you need to find a way to fit that into your lifestyle and eat things that are nutritious at the same time or you will PROBABLY have a hard time sticking to the restrictions for the rest of your life. Being flexible makes it a lot easier to stick to any program IMHO.

Good luck to you on your journey to become fit and healthy!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Those are great goals, but I think you might need to work up to that. If you have been eating poorly and doing no exercise and all of a sudden are eating exercising like a professional athlete you might struggle.

Maybe set yourself up the first week to work out 3-5 times for 1/2 an hour. And believe me it is really hard to stay under on your calories the first few days as you learn which items fill you up vs those that have a lot of calories compared to satisfaction etc.

The 1200 calories as a base is probably what MFP set for you, but if you are going to work out that much you will need to be sure to eat at least 1/2 to 2/3 of your exercise calories.

As for the junk food - everyone is different. For some people junk food is a trigger for junk food so have to limit themselves to once a week or even never or whatever. Other people do better with a 'little taste' more regularly. You have to decide which works best for you (and expect to have to adjust). The real trick with junk food (or whatever your vise is - chocoloate for me) is to still stick to your calories for the day - so that could mean no snacks during the day so you have the extra calories for that big dinner, or it can mean an extra workout, but as long as you at least start with the goal of that (I say 'start' and 'goal' because it will be hard the first few times) you'll be on the right track.

I found this gal had a good attitude... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wendybird5/view/how-i-lost-80-pounds-and-counting-475153

You can do this!!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You can start slowly and be just as successful. Just make sure that the changes aren't overwhelming you. One change at a time, one pound at a time. Otherwise you'll get frustrated and drop out entirely.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Set realistic goals, eat well and you can become as healthy as...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQrrV0TfjOr5jTe8RVhhiOYpXXgEJsqCub1WH01eJK4hWk4_mJaw

OMG...Uploading to my picts for motivation..lmao! Thank you for posting this!
  • sorrow8me
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I've learned more its going to help me a lot! ^.^
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What is the rationale behind your calorie goal? Why is daily calorie intake even one of your goals?
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It's kinda hard to know whether or not those are realistic goals without knowing where you're starting from. If, for example, you're 5'4" and weigh less than 140 pounds, those are not realistic or even healthy goals. If you are 5'9" and weigh more than 200, that's a different story. So do take those things into consideration.

Best of luck to you on your quest for the healthy life!
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's kinda hard to know whether or not those are realistic goals without knowing where you're starting from.

Agreed.

Also, I don't think I could eat "junk food" only once a week. Maybe our definitions are different though? If you have to limit that much, it's not really realistic in the real world I don't think. Maybe to start out, cut back on "junk food"?
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    What to expect? Expect weeks with no losses, expect days where you feel like giving up. You need to be strong! This is a lifestyle change. Research the forums on a realistic calorie goal!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    What to expect.....it will be so so worth it
    Good luck :)