Low Carb vs Low Fat

Options
So, I've read a couple of things arguing which diet method is the best. Obviously, cutting back on both is good, but does anyone know if one is more effective than the other?

I've been trying to prioritize low carb more than low fat, and I think it's working pretty well.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    funny, I just happened to be reading this earlier:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/comparing-the-diets-part-2.html

Fats are essential, carbs are not. I would never go low fat again in my life. I tried back around when I was 20 and had severe hormonal issues leading to ridiculous amounts of cystic acne all over my face, back and chest.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i have to say - -and i am by no stretch of the imagination a low-carb'er whatsoever, but low carb works (for me) to lose weight. but i try to limit my "low carb" eating to just cutting breads and pastas. fruits and veggies i eat in abundance.
  • lvigue
    lvigue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Low carb for sure- refined sugars, etc. are way harder to burn than fat and stick around way longer. If you are exercising, it is so much more efficient to have fat to burn than carbs. Low fat foods also seem to always substitute the fat with more carbs or other non-healthy things, so low-fat really does nothing.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a high fats and lower carb person. I feel better than I ever did! I don't mean no-carb, I mean carbs from natural foods - vegetables!! Fruit borderlines on too much sugar for me....but FATS are where it is at! Fats satiate and give sustained energy. Carbs might be good for a "burst" but not for the long haul...

Good luck with your decision!! :smile:
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    What underwater77 said. Every time I have wanted to lose weight, cutting carbs means that I could get my stomach full and not be hungry. I don't go out of my way to eat fat, but I don't worry about it calorie wise when I eat. I feel fuller when I have some fat with my vegetables.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I would personally go lower carb - but not necessarily lower fat - "fat free" is one of the biggest swear words in my book - and there is no way I would buy a product with "fat free" on the label..... I used to get sucked into that fallacy - never again!!

Also notice the "lower carb" - I dont believe low carb is all that special or beneficial either...

In the end it is calories in, calories burned..... I have lost weight on low fat, lower carb, high fat, higher carb, high sodium, lower sodium - there is no magic bullet - other than eating a calorie deficit
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Anything that leads you to eat less calories...

However, there are two issues with low fat:
    - your body needs fats. It can't use that stuff it has stored to lubricate itself, it can only convert that fat to energy.
    -low fat food products replace the fats with sugars, and often do not have less calories. You might even look at the label and see that the low fat version has the same sugar, the realize that the serving size is smaller, so the % sugar has gone up quite a bit. Sugar will make most people crave more sugar. (This argument is void if you make your own)

As for low carb, your body can make energy out of fats and proteins, as long as you are getting your nutrients in, but most can't stick with it long term. Also, it is hard to get all of your nutrients, since you would be avoiding grains fruits and some vegetables.

The middle ground is high protein. This will result in lower carbs than most Americans consume, but not actually be a low carb diet, as you can still fit in grains and fruits.

The low carb and high protein have in common ( not Mormon, silly spellcheck) that you are avoiding the sugars and simple carbs that can make you crave more.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So, I've read a couple of things arguing which diet method is the best. Obviously, cutting back on both is good, but does anyone know if one is more effective than the other?

I've been trying to prioritize low carb more than low fat, and I think it's working pretty well.

What do you guys think?

Wrong approach. Get SUFFICIENT protein, SUFFICIENT fat, then fill in the rest however you like, including all carbs.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I think it was the American Heart Association that said fat was making us fat. So food manufacturers starting making low/no fat foods. It didn't work because they substituted the fats with higher carbs....and THAT made us fat instead.

I don't watch my fats although I don't go out of my way to eat them, I do have to eat low carb because I have T2, but I have always lost weight by lowering my carb intake.
  • kbarton26
    kbarton26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Watch the youtube video "Sugar: The Bitter Truth". It's an hour and a half long but so worth it.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    I prefer low carb but everyone's body is different. I tried low fat and I felt hungry ALL THE TIME. Once I cut out the carbs I stopped feeling bloated and sluggish as well. I know most of the sluggishness was due to the amount of carbs I would eat, but since I'm terrible at just having a little I cut them out completely for a bit. Been doing keto and it is working wonders. I'm sure I'll work carbs back in eventually but I'm glad to have broken my carb addiction. I usually stay under 20g net carbs a day which means I don't count veggie carbs.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

What do you guys think?

Wrong approach. Get SUFFICIENT protein, SUFFICIENT fat, then fill in the rest however you like, including all carbs.

Correct! Low fat is unhealthy. Low carb shows no proven Metabolic Advantage. The approach above is simple, healthy and doesn't involve low anything.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Watch the youtube video "Sugar: The Bitter Truth". It's an hour and a half long but so worth it.

Watching this is far more worthwhile and it is shorter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Get enough protein, get enough fats and use the rest based on adherence, personal preference and gym performance.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

Watching this is far more worthwhile and it is shorter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I

This is even more worth wile and even shorter.
    http://youtu.be/xmM5MeXyZII
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Get enough protein, get enough fats and use the rest based on adherence, personal preference and gym performance.

Absolutely
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ What he said.

^ And what she said.
  • JamesHardiman
    Options
    Low fat was a silly mistake perpetrated in the middle of the last century and now difficult to get out of (nationally). Human beings don't need carbs (we can manufacture them from proteins if necessary in a process called gluconeogenesis -- Google it).

Think of the Inuit and other native peoples living in the arctic. They live almost exclusively on fat, with some protein. No fruit and veg or grain up there!

Some people can get away with eating carbs, but if your waist measurement is the same as or bigger than your hip measurement, chances are you aren't one of them!

As for gym performance: it will get you healthy, but it won't get you slim!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Low fat was a silly mistake perpetrated in the middle of the last century and now difficult to get out of (nationally). Human beings don't need carbs (we can manufacture them from proteins if necessary in a process called gluconeogenesis -- Google it).

Think of the Inuit and other native peoples living in the arctic. They live almost exclusively on fat, with some protein. No fruit and veg or grain up there!

Some people can get away with eating carbs, but if your waist measurement is the same as or bigger than your hip measurement, chances are you aren't one of them!

As for gym performance: it will get you healthy, but it won't get you slim!

Gym performance will help with body composition. Plus, it will help with specific goals - there is more to exercise than getting slim.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Low carb, becuase fats are essential, however I think the whole low fat thing was more aimed at saturated fats than other healthy fats. I try to keep my saturated fats to a minimum and eat poly and mono unsaturated fats. Also, I should point out that I think the low carb also has to do with refined flours and sugars, not neccessarily carbs from fruits and vegetables.