who wears a knee brace while running?

Options
I had been having knee pain while running, MRI showed tendonitis and mild arthritis so Dr encouraged me to strengthen my quads and said I could also wear a knee brace while running. I bought one at target, one size fits all. I'm not sure exactly how it's fitting tho. If I don't have it tight it seems to slide, but when I tighten it, it almost feels like it make my leg numb. Am I doing something wrong? It's velcro.

Replies

• westgre
    westgre Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Where exactly in your knee is the pain? Did he say which tendon was inflamed?
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I used to. I had one that was not velcro and I would pull it on. Not bad but not really supportive. Had another one with velcro tabs on the side. Better but not great. Then there comes the one with velcro and long straps that you wrapped around. It would take half a minute to adjust it perfect but it was the best one I had. Maybe you need to return that one and get a different style. Shop different places as well for different designs/brands.
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Dr didn't tell me which tendon, does that make a difference on knee braces?
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The slide-on Tensor brand fabric with open knee hole ones work wonders for me.
    But yes, it can depend on what exactly is wrong with your knee.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I play squash with knee braces, had issues with my knees ever since I was a teen, apparently I grew too fast (Doctors, hey).
    My braces are pull ons with padding on either side of the knee cap, they fit really well, but they were properly fitted for me, so not a one size fits all thing.
    I would try different ones, because the right ones can make all the difference when it is a bit tough to get motivated - I wouldn't get myself off the sofa and play if I added "but then my knees will hurt a lot" to the cons side of the argument. (I argue with myself a lot. I should probably have that looked at.)
    Hope you find a pair that's right for you!
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My friend does, she was born with weak knees. She also takes supplements for her knees.