Proper form for ab exercises???

Options
I always end up with a sore back after crunches...reverse crunches..bicycle crunches..etc...does anyone have any advice on proper form to ensure that I am actually working the ab muscles and not straining my back?

Replies

• jsthangnarnd
    Options
    I do 150 crunches, 100 bicycles every morning. I have noticed that if I don't have my knees bent so that the small of my back is flat on the floor when doing the crunches my back will hurt. Also, when doing the bicycle, if I pull on my neck or head when doing crossovers, that will cause pain as well.

Hope this helps,
    J
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    I've always been told if you feel the strain in your back, to place a rolled up towel, small pillow, or your hands under the small of your back. I use a small rolled up towel or a throw pillow. It helps a lot.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    You may have weak back muscles which I think is somewhat common when we focus on crunches. I mostly work my core by doing plank exercises. I feel like they are even more beneficial than crunches because they work the abdominals and the lower back muscles at the same time. The lower back is just as important as the abdominals because these muscles create part of the "girdle" effect that cinches in your waist.

Try switching up your core routine to doing plank hold, plank jacks, mountain climbers, side plank, plank oblique twists, etc. I think you can google these exercises to find videos of them if they don't sound familiar.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I agree with jsthangnarnd and fiendiish. Also, what I always hear trainers (Tony Horton and Jillian Michaels) say is to stare at something on the ceiling, keep your chin up, and focus on pulling your belly botton toward the floor.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I just read an article the other day that said exercises like crunches and the like are extremely bad for your spine and they also encouraged switching to plank like holds. I'm tempted to suggest the same. I know when I do crunches my neck KILLS me and I know I'm doing something wrong but even with a trainer there to guide me through I still ended up with a sore neck. So I'm switching to plank moves. Besides, they're harder so I feel more accomplished when I do them. :)
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    You may have weak back muscles which I think is somewhat common when we focus on crunches. I mostly work my core by doing plank exercises. I feel like they are even more beneficial than crunches because they work the abdominals and the lower back muscles at the same time. The lower back is just as important as the abdominals because these muscles create part of the "girdle" effect that cinches in your waist.

Try switching up your core routine to doing plank hold, plank jacks, mountain climbers, side plank, plank oblique twists, etc. I think you can google these exercises to find videos of them if they don't sound familiar.

I hate planks... :/
    I do them...but I hate every minute of it. LOL.

Just wanted to say that real quick.
  • questionablemethods
    Options

I hate planks... :/
    I do them...but I hate every minute of it. LOL.

Just wanted to say that real quick.

Haha! Me too! But I realized that the moves I hate the most are probably also the ones I need to do the most!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

I agree completely with this! :) Not all ad moves need to be done ling down either. You can do standing crunches which eliminate the pressure on your neck and back. Other that that when you are doing the moves make sure to keep your chin lifted and your eyes on the ceiling. Focus on squeezing your navel in and your ribs to your hips. HTH
  • jschneider
    jschneider Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions....I looked up the plank exercises...they look gruelling...but I am sure they will be beneficial :)
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Here's one that I just did for the first time in my workout today. I used a kitchen towel on the floor to help me slide. I did 5 sets of 20 reps. Ouch, but also great for the shoulders!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1cHX3l0G68