Grocery Shopping Grumble

Options
When I was at the store last night I really wanted some yogurt, but I had to wonder: why do all the good flavors have to be the "light" version? They are all made with aspartame which gives me a headache. The same goes for canned fruits. Any of of the "light" are made with sucralose. Simply put, the thought of eating something with sucralose makes me cringe.

I know that eating the regular yogurt, fruit, or anything for that matter is fine, but it still kind of stinks.

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I really hate plain yogurt, but I have started mixing it with chocolate protein powder and its good. Really, really good. About the same calories as flavored when all said and done. Only need about a tablespoon to mix all the way through.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I really hate plain yogurt, but I have started mixing it with chocolate protein powder and its good. Really, really good. About the same calories as flavored when all said and done. Only need about a tablespoon to mix all the way through.

That is a really good idea. I've got to try this!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    For yogurts, I don't know what you expect, people who buy those instead of mixing fruit with plain yogurt are looking for the extra sugar to mask the yogurt's tartness.

For canned fruits, look for "packed in light syrup" as these usually don't have any sugar added.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I was at the store last night I really wanted some yogurt, but I had to wonder: why do all the good flavors have to be the "light" version? They are all made with aspartame which gives me a headache. The same goes for canned fruits. Any of of the "light" are made with sucralose. Simply put, the thought of eating something with sucralose makes me cringe.

I know that eating the regular yogurt, fruit, or anything for that matter is fine, but it still kind of stinks.

I KNOW!! Orange Creme, Red Velvet Cake,ect. They are all light!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I mix 6-8 oz of plain fat free greek yogurt with frozen (or fresh if in season/on sale) berries, chopped walnuts, tsp of honey and maybe some high fiber/protein cereal if I need more carbs. See my diary entry for today, Meal #2. Yummy!