New Military Wife

Options
Hi everyone. I am really happy to have discovered MFP, and I am really excited to utilize this new weight-loss tool to help me reach my goals.

I've struggled with my weight since high school, suffering from a mild eating disorder and then a rapid weight gain of 40lbs my senior year. Although I lost most of the extra 40lbs, suffering such a drastic weight loss then gain at such an impressionable insecure age has negatively affected my body image and the way I think about food ever since.

I have recently gone through some big life changes as I am a newlywed and a new military wife! Before moving to our current base (which is in the middle of nowhere) I had a very busy life in a big city as a Graduate Student and retail assistant manager. I had a really active social life and lived in a metropolitan area that provided me with plenty of exercise opportunities.

Since moving to this new middle of nowhere town I have gained 7 lbs in the past 3 months! I've always promised myself I would not go beyond my current weight and I know I am gaining because of the lack of activity in my new environment.

So with that said I'd really appreciate your support and advice on how to keep from falling into a small town rut and stay positive and active in a new environment.
I'd like to lose 15 lbs total, so here's to setting goals and achieving greatness!

Replies

• minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So now that you have moved to a new place you have the oppourtunity to explore the area on foot, which I beleive is the best way to see a new place. You can go out and find out what people like about their small town. Get active and run, walk, bike, rollerblade whatever you do just get out there and view the town and see what makes that town special. When I first moved across country by myself I was in the slump of not wanting to be there, but then I picked up running and noticed how amazing the town I live in really is. Of course I moved from the metro too and adjusting to a small town was hard and I still love the city more, but I have more appreciation for my town.

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Hello and welcome!!! I am also a Military Wife! I understand how you feel. Just a few suggestions.....Most military bases have a free gym for us to utilize and if you really want to lose it, DVDs are a life saver! Go to Collagevideo.com and you can get reviews and watch clips to find the ones that are right for you! You could also buy a piece of workout equipment for your home or find a buddy to walk with. Also, I agree with the above poster, nothing beats running! Good luck and the best advice I've ever been given about life as a military spouse is that every place is what you make it, so make the best of it! : )
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I also am a military wife, although not so new. My husband is an E-7 Sargaent First Class in the Guards. I am curious where your middle of no where is. There are other wives out there go find them! Welcome to this community on MFP its great!
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    Hi! Military wife here too! Fort Eustis, VA! My husband is an instructor, E-6. Nice to meet you! :)

A few suggestions....go on post. Most installations have a free gym available for you to use. Also, there is usually an outdoor track of some sort you can use to run/walk.

Also, try exploring your town a little bit. Find a park that might have a trail you can walk or hike....you could also look up hiking trails online in your area.

If you have a Wii....try the EA sports active...it will at least keep you from being sedentary.

One more idea...my husband a lot of times has independent PT and sometimes I'll go with him. Now, of course, if your husband has supervised PT or no PT at all...that wouldn't be an option.
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I agree with the advice to use the gym on base. Not only will you get exercise, you'll also meet other military spouses who are interested in exercising and probably make some new friends. It is easy to be bored and eat too much when you are new to an area.
  • jmatecki
    jmatecki Posts: 32
    Options
    Military wife here also....welcome! I know the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere -- I grew up on a farm near a couple small towns so i know that feeling. Then moved to minot, ND!!! I hated yet loved it. I love it b/c i was only 3 hrs from family but hated it there b/c hubby was never home. But like the others say you need to make the best of your situation. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm not new to the military (12 years being associated with military -- married for 10 of those years and WHAT A JOURNEY! LOL) Great to have you here and look forward to getting to know you.
  • irishgal3
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also a military wife. Moved from a big city to a small town where you really can't walk to anything from anywhere. Being that you're a newlywed I'm assuming you don't have any kids. Why not get some exercise in by adopting a dog? When we lived in an apartment we had to walk our dog at least 2x a day and for a good bit of time. I know it's not so easy to take on another life form, but not only can a pet help with getting out and doing some exercise, but it can also help you adjust to your new home.

If pets are out of the question, I agree with the other wives' postings about the installation's gym. Our post gym is free and it holds workout classes for a small fee. I also got myself involved with the town by finding a soccer league. It's something I've always loved to play and it helped me get to know a bunch of people.

Good luck with your goals and adapting to your new life as a military wife!
  • Яaquel
    Яaquel Posts: 90
    Options
    hi and welcome =] military wife also haha ((Marines)) anyways welcome, I love this site and so will you!!!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    HI :flowerforyou: Oh yes the drastic change from a "normal" busy city to emptyness... :laugh: I am an army wife as well. We moved from Austin TX to KENTUCKY! Needless to say I hate it here and sometimes people don't understand what I mean when I say I miss living in a "real" city :tongue: Anyway, I've lived here for just under two years now. Some of the things I have done and still do are: bought a puppy now a year and a half old, walk the dog on a nature trail I have to drive to only 5mins away but it's worth it because it's pretty and 5 miles long, go to the gym on post 4-5 days a week and do short workouts at home.

This is the first post I've been at with my husband he was prior service before we married and went back. I've found with this post it took me a while to find the "right" gym. The first few I went to really seemed geared toward soldiers. Finally I found the one that most of the family memebers go to, or so it seems :laugh: It's nicer than some of the others and I enjoy it. So my on base gym advice is to check them all out if there's more than one to find the one you feel good at.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    Welcome

I'm also an Army wife. Been married to the military for 16 years. I have to admit I'm curious to where your middle of nowhere is. We are also in the middle of no where, not even at a Ft. but a small National Guard/Reserves Camp (We are active duty) We have no military facilities at all.

Like some said before every place you go is what you make it. Sometime it's harder then others (I'm still having trouble adjusting here, one of just 3 wives here) but you still have to make the best of it.

Your at the beginning of what can be a very beautiful journery through life (hard and stressful at times, but what way of life isn't)
  • FitqueenT
    FitqueenT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Army wife here...welcome to mfp. I joined the site last week and love it so far. I don't know where you're at but here @ Bragg, they offer free aerobic classes and the gym are open to everyone . Call around and see if your post offers anything like that.

Good luck with everything!!!
  • sweetykins222
    Options
    hey i am also a military wife and the best way but like the others said the gyms on base are free and just walking to stores that are close by will help ya
  • minus15go
    minus15go Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for all the supportive comments! "Middle of nowhere" is Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo TX. I know there are worse locations, but it's an adjustment having always lived in Florida with a beach and a big city less than 30 min away! San Angelo is about 4 hours from any big city's so it's quite a trek.

I am definitely trying to make the most out of my time here though and get used to the whole military lifestyle. My husband was prior service before we met also, so he is much more used to this than I am! It's hard to be confident when your life seems to revolve around someone else's but if I can set some personal goals and stay focused I think it will make the adjustment process a whole lot easier.

Thanks again for all the support :)
  • Home6
    Home6 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've found with this post it took me a while to find the "right" gym. The first few I went to really seemed geared toward soldiers.

LOL, I almost STOPPED going to the gym after the first several days, because it seems like the only folks there in the morning are Marines and Army Rangers! I am very self-conscious, and finally just had to focus on the TV's or shut my eyes while on the treadmill.

To the original poster, welcome both to MFP and to the military wife family!