Weigh in

Options
Does it get you down when you gain weight on your weigh in day?

I've been working out all week and have ended up gaining 3 pounds since my last weigh in and I kinda just don't care... Is that normal?

edit - I should say I dont care about the 3 pounds because I feel like I already am starting to look better and feel better about how I look. Those 3 pounds dont mean that I've gained 3 pounds of fat and look worse.

Replies

• ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Yes its depressing when you dont see the scale moving. I used to weigh every 2-3 days.. too frustrating, then I moved to once a week, STILL kinda frustrating.. So now I weigh in once a month, problem solved, the scale is always moving down :happy:
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Im upset that its gone up, but as the same time I know it just because of the workouts. So I dont know how to feel about it really. Maybe I should just do the record it once a month thing.
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    the 3 lbs is prob muscle mass from all the workouts. i think your doing great. the thing is to keep it up. maybe weigh in every other week if that makes you feel like your getting more progress
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Many years ago a Dr told me that if you weigh morning and night and if the weight is more than 2lbs difference at night you're not losing. This works for me and really keeps me on track. I have 90 lbs to lose so that might change later.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do feel a little bummed out, but I don't let it get to me. I mean, we fluctuate so much during the day so if it's just a couple pounds (1-3), I don't let it eat at me too much. At the end of the day, if you're making progress by feeling better and building good habits, the rest will come! :D
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Does it get you down when you gain weight on your weigh in day?

I've been working out all week and have ended up gaining 3 pounds since my last weigh in and I kinda just don't care... Is that normal?

edit - I should say I dont care about the 3 pounds because I feel like I already am starting to look better and feel better about how I look. Those 3 pounds dont mean that I've gained 3 pounds of fat and look worse.

It used to get me down. At the beginning I weighed in only every 2 weeks or so because I thought that would prevent those situations and I didn't want to get discouraged. The first month (about 2 months in) that I had no change, I weighed in the next week too with no change. I didn't own a scale, I was going to a relative's to do it. So I bought a scale and switched to daily weigh-ins and every time I hit a new low, whenever that happens to occur, I update MFP. Turns out the typical culprits are high-sodium days and switching up workouts or going more intense which makes me extremely sore. Both situations cause water retention.
    What I discovered from daily weighing that has really given me peace of mind: For 10-14 days a month, I don't lose. I maintain or show a small gain from my last lowest weight, every single day. Worse if the above situations occur too. But then after that (it tracks to my monthly cycle), I will lose all the weight I was losing all along - like, 1 pound every 2 to 3 days until I hit my 5-8 lbs/month. I would never have known this without daily weigh-ins. It did explain the first little 'plateau' I thought I was on that I described above.

Anyway, weighing daily has been a really interesting thing - but the scale and how you feel about it can affect your motivation, so I'm not saying it's for everybody. I really love to see how different things affect the number and I like tracking the trends over time. And like you said, who cares anyway? I take pics and measurements too and I check how my clothes fit. The scale is just one tool of many to track the changes.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Remember you are in it for the long haul...what is important is the pattern of weight loss over 3 or 6 months, or a year. A week here or there of weight gain is no big deal in the big picture .
  • CombatGirl93
    CombatGirl93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    oooh yes I'm in the same boat also.

It makes me quite afraid of stepping on the scales. I've been eating well and i always make time to work out! My theory is that I'm building muscle, hence the weight gain! But you never know! I've got a weigh-in tomorrow morning, wish me luck! :bigsmile: