does your heart rate really matter when working out?

Options
I hope this doesn't seem like a stupid question, because I really just don't know.

According to the elliptical HR sensor I often get and stay to 195 for a while. Is this good/optimal for burning fat?
Also, a healthy resting heart rate is generally between 60-80 right? Because I checked mine today on a monitor we have at home (I know it's accurate, bought it for my dad after his stroke) and it said it was 110. I hadn't been doing anything really beforehand that should have gotten it that high. And it's not the first time, when I went to give blood a few days ago it was 113. What's up with this? I've not overweight it shouldn't be like this should it? And I'm only 18.

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How much caffeine do you take in on the average day? Try depriving yourself for half a day or so then take a resting heart rate. If it is still high then you should probably consult a doctor about it if it truly concerns you.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    barely any, I don't drink coffee, pop or tea with caffeine.
  • sherrymccall
    sherrymccall Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and my resting heart rate is always around 100 to 110. It's fine. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It is most certainly not a stupid question and I'm glad you asked. The answer is NO. no, No, NO.

Pay no attention to the heart rate the machine is telling you. Pay no attention the insipid heart rate zone posters or signs around the cardio machines. Pay no attention to anyone that tells you that you have to get a HRM just so you can work out at a gym. And anyone that tells you that you need to keep your heart rate under an imaginary number so you can burn a higher percentage of fat....well, just thank them for their input and politely walk away. But don't pay any attention to them either.

Just work out. Do the best you can do and each time set a goal for yourself to do more. Keep at it until you can go for a certain time or distance goal that you set for yourself. Then to do more work within that same time or distance. Your heart rate will have no bearing on you getting into shape.

There are specific reasons and situations where a HRM could benefit someone. But general fitness is not one of them.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that high blood pressure has a minimum age or weight. I recommend consulting a doctor just to be on the safe side, especially since your dad has had a stroke.
  • dandandee
    Options
    DavPul : thanks! very informative answer, that's good to know! I was wondering whether I should get a monitor for at the gym, but I'll take your word for it that I should just work out and do the best I can. Glad to know I won't have to worry about that! :D

FitnSassy : it's not my blood pressure, my blood pressure is at the optimal rate if not a tad low. It's my pulse that's on the higher side. Anyways, I've got an appointment with my doc soon for a general check up so I'll ask about it then, just to be safe.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    if your resting heart rate is around 110 that is something you should have checked out.
  • ksfischer
    ksfischer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    OP coming from an EMT your resting heart rate of 100-110 would be concerning to me. Is there any history of heart disease in your family? Do you ever feel your heart flutter? I would consult with your Primary Doctor and have him make sure everything is ok.

I did look up some quick info for you on a resting heart rate of over 100 and I got this via webmd -

Myth #2: A fast pulse means you’re stressed out.

Stress can spike your resting heart rate, sometimes nudging it to beat more than 100 times per minute, a condition called tachycardia. But smoking or consuming lots of caffeine can also do the trick. So can dehydration, fever, anemia, and thyroid disease.

In the absence of an obvious cause, anyone who experiences tachycardia at rest should consult a doctor. Even heart rates in the upper range of normal may signal a health issue. "If you don’t have a good explanation for a [resting heart] rate above 85, that should dictate a search for something else," Tomaselli says. "Most of the time, tachycardia is caused by an abnormal heart rhythm," says Joseph E. Marine, MD, associate professor of cardiology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore.
  • disdatdude
    Options
    Looks like the consensus is go to the doctor.

Go to the doctor :sick:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It is most certainly not a stupid question and I'm glad you asked. The answer is NO. no, No, NO.

Pay no attention to the heart rate the machine is telling you. Pay no attention the insipid heart rate zone posters or signs around the cardio machines. Pay no attention to anyone that tells you that you have to get a HRM just so you can work out at a gym. And anyone that tells you that you need to keep your heart rate under an imaginary number so you can burn a higher percentage of fat....well, just thank them for their input and politely walk away. But don't pay any attention to them either.

Just work out. Do the best you can do and each time set a goal for yourself to do more. Keep at it until you can go for a certain time or distance goal that you set for yourself. Then to do more work within that same time or distance. Your heart rate will have no bearing on you getting into shape.

There are specific reasons and situations where a HRM could benefit someone. But general fitness is not one of them.

Listen to this man. Your resting heart rate seems a little high overall but it could simply be a genetic thing. If your doctor okays you then I wouldn't sweat it.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I second talking to your doctor about the resting HR being so high.

At least rule out any major problems.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Definitely have it looked at is my advise. I am a big fan of HRM's and I am not going to tell you to get one or you wont lose weight. Everyone is different. I happen to like them as I have learned a lot about my body and I know my resting heart rate inside out and check is all the time. Mine is typically in the high 30's or low 40's which is very low compared to most. Normally people who dont work out or exercise much will be in the 80's and 90's, but yours seems a bit on the high side. There is no downside to speaking with a doctor about it so I would suggest that route. Good luck!
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and many times those machines are in need of calibrations. However I find that on exercise equipment if I am even slightly doing over a casual stroll pace I am getting into the 160+ zones. I don't feel uncomfortable and to me it seems right where I should be, slightly difficult to hold a conversation. Trust your body, listen to how you feel to know when you might need to take it down a notch, or even up a notch.

That being said...... To anyone/everyone if you feel like something is wrong with your heart by all means go to the doctor.... I used to get random moments where my heart would take off. I dealt with it for about 3 years. I went early on to the doctors (we only have military care facilities available to us overseas here) and they wanted me to go to mental health and wrote me off as having anxiety. I would get these spells all the time where I could hardly breathe, my heart was racing out of no where for no reason, I would get light headed, my arms would start to feel numb, and either I would either faint, or have to wait anywhere from a minute to an hour for it to stop. I was always exhausted everyday. One day at work was just walking down the hallway and all of a sudden I felt like I was dying, like everything they tell you a heart attack feels like but worse...called my husband and he took me to the er, took 30 minutes to get there he dropped me off at the front I stumbled in and couldn't even manage to talk because I could hardly breathe. They tossed me right onto a hospital bed and for another almost hour monitored me and kept trying to make me do different things (valve salva techniques) while my heart was registering 220bpm and well above the whole time I was laying there..... They explained they were probably going to have to stop my heart and restart it, which scared the living *kitten* out of me even more then I already was. Luckily I finally came out of it right before they went that route. I was then explained that I had something called PSVT and that I had been hazardously dismissed in my previous concerns at the medical facility. It was explained to me that at any point when I had such an episode my heart could just give out, stop, from the strain. And unless someone was there and able to restart my heart well that would be lights out. Much less that my heart was taking serious risks of damage from the load it was under. It is a disorder where your heart goes into tachycardia due to basically having an extra electrical feedback circuit. the circuit is supposed to make a closed circle but somewhere in mine it had a jumper so out of the blue my heart would send extra signals to beat and send me out of rhythm and racing. For 2 & 1/2 years I had this type of thing happen atleast every other week and sometimes every few days, with no clue just thought I was out of shape (5'2'' 160lbs) and maybe I was just stressed. I had a very active case of this disorder. But I also had two small children and a husband who had been deployed twice in those 2 & 1/2 years and we live overseas with no family around and.... That was a scary realization when I finally learned what was going on. It was correctable with surgery. Finally was able to go have my surgery several months later last November. I could tell the difference immediately. I didn't feel like I needed sleep 3-4 hours into my day anymore within the first week. Made me feel capable again. If you think you don't feel right see your physician and make sure to keep details of the issue so you can get proper care.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Normal heart rates are about 60-100. When I was heavier. I had a really high resting HRM, now it's gone down to 78-80. But you might want to consult with a doctor just in case.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is about 70-80. I was told that during low level activity to shoot for 140-150, and during intense activity 160-170 never to exceed 190.
  • dandandee
    Options
    thanks for all the informative answers everyone, I'll definitely get it checked out just to make sure it's not a symptom of something more serious.
    good to know though that 195 is nothing bad when working out. thanks again :)
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and my resting heart rate is always around 100 to 110. It's fine. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with you.

110? That seems a bit excessive. My Rest rate is around 75, which is normal.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Once you've ruled out that anything is wrong health-wise with your heart, as I see from your posts that you're doing, then the rule of thumb that I've heard is that you want to do your general cardio at a rate that you would just barely start to have trouble carrying on a conversation based on your breathing rate.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    For losing weight it doesn't matter.

For building fitness it makes a huge difference. Different exercise intensities cause different physiological adaptations in the body.

It all depends on what your goals are.