kind of disgusting, but i need advice

Options
2»

Replies

• nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Add me to the chorus of "get it out" I had mine taken out about five years ago. The surgery wasn't a walk in the park and I had "discomfort" for a week or so. But on the upside, no more lying on the floor feeling as is there was a dagger in my back and an elephant standing on my chest.

(Also, I got to a stage where my liver function test was showing my liver was being compromised - you don't want that)
  • sartu
    sartu Posts: 15
    Options
    Dr. Tim Brantley has a book out called THE CURE... he has a gallbladder cleanse recipe you can take a look at and see if you can follow it. The book is awesome and may possibly enlighten you more about refined and processed foods.
  • sartu
    sartu Posts: 15
    Options
    actually I just realized the above recipe is the same.. but the book is still awesome...
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Whether to count the calories after vomiting: Obviously you've lost some of the calories but how many??? I guess it would depend on whether you feel your stomach completely emptied all that you had eaten at the previous meal. If you vomit into a container you can measure the amount or weigh it and compare to your intake. I'm wondering whether you feel like eating something after the vomiting??? If this is happening to you infrequently then I'd say it's not much of an issue whether you subtact calories or not.

I had gall bladder disease and didn't know what was wrong for a long time. The strange pain I had under my right shoulder blade disappeared after my surgery as well as my "indigestion" problems. The surgeon said my gall bladder was nearly in shreds and could have burst. FYI the incidence of cancer of the gall bladder increases in people with gall stones.

You need a diet low in fat (no more than 20%) and small meals. You can delay the surgery as long as possilbe but if the "attacks" get more frequent, you need to honestly assess your chances of having a real emergency that requires immedeate surgery....never the best case.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've never regretted having mine out. I've hardly had any indigestion since and no all night stomach aches. I had two large stones about the size of my thumbs. I had an unusual recovery and had to be kept in the hospital 2 nights. Any issues I have now that are related to its removal, I had when it wasn't working right.

It's a non-essential organ. I'd recommend getting rid of it. Life post gallbladder removal is exponentially better...at least for me it is.
  • Biggoal50
    Biggoal50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents based upon my experience: Obviously, your experience will be different and you should make decisions based upon your health.
    I had my gallbladder out yesterday at 11:00 am! Yesterday was tough and I was in a lot of pain, but today I'm already feeling better. I had occasional gallbladder pain for one year. Last October, I started having attacks every couple of weeks. By November I was having attacks 2- 3 times a week. I wish I would have pressed the issue sooner. By the time I really needed the surgery, I had difficulty scheduling it with Christmas and Thanksgiving and the New Year and Dr.s taking time off. It took me over two months to get in! I'm so excited to be able to eat again without worry. Although I was eating less than 10% fat a day (usually about 13-20 fat grams a day) I still had excruciating attacks. I spent 8 hours on Christmas Day in the ER! So anyway, I had the surgery yesterday and already I have more discomfort than pain. Good luck whatever you decide. As for what to log? On days I had attacks I usually just stopped logging at all. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions about the surgery.
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    Definitely get the gallbladder out. My husband waited far too long and to make a long story shorter, the gallbladder went gangrenous, caused numerous bile flow issues, he had another surgery, pancreatitis occured. He was in the hospital on a feeding tube for 6 weeks with a 17cm pseudocyst on his pancreas and has had a great deal of pain since, along with over 10 ERCPs. If he would have had the gallbladder removed when he first had problems, so much pain and time spent would have been saved.

This, I had emergency gall bladder removal last year. The surgery itself wasn't bad at all and the couple days in the hospital on pain meds sucked but wasn't too bad. The ERCP is the worst thing I've ever experienced in my entire life. I am very resistant to the "twilight" sedation meds and pain meds they use, but I couldn't complain because they have a garden hose down your throat. I had stones in my liver and pancreas as well as a gallbladder that had just about died. I made to the ER in time, mainly because my roommate at the time was an EMT. He came home from work, saw me and put me in his car. The second ERCP wasn't as bad because the doctors were aware of my resistance to the sedation meds, and it was shorter because it was only to remove the stents from the first one

After ward the only thing I had to change was the amount of animal fats I eat. Every once in a while I'll allow myself some bacon and even then I can usually handle at long as I've been sticking to my diet. I've also almost completely eliminated red meat, except for those cheat days I allow myself every couple of weeks and get a cheeseburger or something.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, I would continue to track it as if your body did not reject it. Some of the nutrients were consumed.
    I would just make sure that everything I consumed was wholesome and healthy. Remember to drink plenty of water.
    Look at the vomit and try to imagine the portion size in a liquified form. (sounds gross but this is what we do with patients who vomit their meals)

good luck.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well if it's happening less than once/month, it's not going to make any difference to your overall progress.

I would suggest just make your best estimate and move on.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My surgery was emergency, btw.

ERCP????
  • melissarosamond
    Options
    Any reason for not wanting GB removed? The problem lies in the fact of ANY kind of fat in your food, even the good kind, and that makes you throw up because the GB cannot break it down. Had the same issue, GB removed at 24 and was a wise decision. On the good side, usually happens when you have lost weight and changed eating habits so much your body cannot cope!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    you will have your gallbladder removed when the time comes for you to make that choice. I put off having mine taken out, and it took a gallbladder infection and crazy whole-body itching to make me see sense. I didn't feel like waiting until I developed pancreatitis.

But being in the UK - once I had made the decision to agree to surgery I had to start from the bottom of the waiting list again, so another 18 weeks of painful attacks. Not fun.

Carry on as you are for now, but never say never.
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    My surgery was emergency, btw.

ERCP????

I forget the actual name, but it's doctor talk for tie you face down to the bed and shove a garden hose into your pancreas through your mouth while you are awake.

I had to have stents put into the ducts of my pancreas and liver, and then have them removed 2 months later because I had stones that made their way up into both
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law waited too long to get her gall bladder out and she is still recovering after 3 years. She dropped about 60 pounds because she was unable to eat anything. The doctor told her after 6 months that she should be able to eat normally, but as I said, that was 3 years ago and she still can't eat more than 10 items...shrimp with no oils or butters or salts, salad, pasta with no sauce...etc. Anything else will make her throw up.

If she had gotten it out sooner, it wouldn't have been as serious and she would probably be fine now. I'd get it out to be safe.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    People die from ignoring gallbladder problems. You should speak to a doctor. They would only recommend the surgery if you need it.
  • suiteblooms
    Options
    This thread has taken a turn for unsolicited advice about a condition of health, rather than answering the question about how many calories should be counted when a meal is lost to vomiting. It seems to me that if your body is rejecting the food that you have eaten, and you are vomiting up the contents of your stomach, then not much of your food would have made it further into the digestive tract. To me, It would seem that if the loss occurs within an hour of eating, then you would likely have lost around 90% of the calories consumed. At that point, I would wait a while and then try eating something light. Don't worry as much about counting calories on days when this occurs. Remember that your body is not a calculator, and that while it is advisable to count calories for weight loss...(I've done it with wonderful results) you need to pay attention to the cues you are getting from your body.

And since it's been brought up, I may as well weigh in on the surgery / no surgery debate. I am of the opionion that Doctors and Surgeons are wonderful - to some extent. They removed my father's Spleen when it burst in an accident, and they repaired my shattered Tibia. Without a competent surgeon, my father would have died, and I would never have walked again. I am very grateful for the work that they did. That being said, surgery always has risks. Mistakes can be made, infections can be contracted etc. Additionally, the human body has a Gall Bladder for a reason. It serves a purpose. It has a function. To me, it seems that it would be beneficial to make every effort to repair your body rather than cutting it apart. The oil pull cleanse doesn't sound 1) expensive 2) risky 3) intrusive. It sounds like 2 days of doing something that will be uncomfortable... dare i say making that a lousy week. And yes, you may vomit. But it's worth a try. Doing so doesn't mean that you can't have surgery if your condition worsens. And if it helps, I once did a Liver cleanse that might make drinking olive oil seem a bit easier. The cleanse was 7 days long. Day 1 press 1 clove of garlic and press a 1 x 1" piece of ginger. Combine into 8 oz of grape juice. Drink. (On day 1 I gagged.) Day 2 increased to 2 cloves of garlic + the other ingredients. I was instructed to increase the garlic by 1 clove every day until Day 7. This day was 7 cloves of Garlic, a 1 x 1" piece of Ginger and 8 oz of grape juice. By day 6 I was throwing up. I couldn't do day 7. To this day the smell of ginger makes me gag. PS. I'm glad I did it. PPS. Use a straw. PPPS. Rent a bunch of movies that will make you happy & paint your toe nails on the day of the cleanse. Might as well get something out of it.

Best wishes
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This thread has taken a turn for unsolicited advice about a condition of health, rather than answering the question about how many calories should be counted when a meal is lost to vomiting. It seems to me that if your body is rejecting the food that you have eaten, and you are vomiting up the contents of your stomach, then not much of your food would have made it further into the digestive tract. To me, It would seem that if the loss occurs within an hour of eating, then you would likely have lost around 90% of the calories consumed. At that point, I would wait a while and then try eating something light. Don't worry as much about counting calories on days when this occurs. Remember that your body is not a calculator, and that while it is advisable to count calories for weight loss...(I've done it with wonderful results) you need to pay attention to the cues you are getting from your body.

And since it's been brought up, I may as well weigh in on the surgery / no surgery debate. I am of the opionion that Doctors and Surgeons are wonderful - to some extent. They removed my father's Spleen when it burst in an accident, and they repaired my shattered Tibia. Without a competent surgeon, my father would have died, and I would never have walked again. I am very grateful for the work that they did. That being said, surgery always has risks. Mistakes can be made, infections can be contracted etc. Additionally, the human body has a Gall Bladder for a reason. It serves a purpose. It has a function. To me, it seems that it would be beneficial to make every effort to repair your body rather than cutting it apart. The oil pull cleanse doesn't sound 1) expensive 2) risky 3) intrusive. It sounds like 2 days of doing something that will be uncomfortable... dare i say making that a lousy week. And yes, you may vomit. But it's worth a try. Doing so doesn't mean that you can't have surgery if your condition worsens. And if it helps, I once did a Liver cleanse that might make drinking olive oil seem a bit easier. The cleanse was 7 days long. Day 1 press 1 clove of garlic and press a 1 x 1" piece of ginger. Combine into 8 oz of grape juice. Drink. (On day 1 I gagged.) Day 2 increased to 2 cloves of garlic + the other ingredients. I was instructed to increase the garlic by 1 clove every day until Day 7. This day was 7 cloves of Garlic, a 1 x 1" piece of Ginger and 8 oz of grape juice. By day 6 I was throwing up. I couldn't do day 7. To this day the smell of ginger makes me gag. PS. I'm glad I did it. PPS. Use a straw. PPPS. Rent a bunch of movies that will make you happy & paint your toe nails on the day of the cleanse. Might as well get something out of it.

Best wishes

thank you for answering the question instead of giving me horror stories. i listened to my doctor at the time, and with him, made the decision to see how things go. i still stick by that decision. 1 bad day every 4-6 weeks (or a lot less as is often the case) isn't enough of a reason for me to rip out part of my body. if it gets worse, i'll reconsider...