Any Starting Exercise Recommendations for 300lb User?

Options
2»

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i do a 6-mile walk as many days a week as time and weather permit. it makes a difference. because of your weight at over 300 lbs, you can burn a decent amount of calories if you can go out for long walks like that.

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    C25K

You can start out with walking and build up gradually. Congratulations on your progress so far!

It is never to early to start with weight lifting either. Even if it is only body weight exercises in the beginning that is okay. The more strength exercises you do, the more muscle you will help preserve as you lose weight.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have bad knees and feet. I started with a stationary bike. My workouts began to get easier and before I knew it I was able to start walking longer distances without too much pain. When the pounds begin to come off you will notice that your joints are not as painful or the pain may just disappear!

Welcome and good luck.
  • LouMonoLou
    Options
    When i started the whole dieting thing,the first cardio exercise i did was walking! You know 30 minutes a day,you choose the pace.
    I was almost 250 lbs and i thought i had bad knees. The fact is,the more lbs you lose the more freedom you're gonna feel!

Trust me,weight holds us back! So,push hard and then harder and we're gonna break the chains:D
    And as @2essie mentioned,try Leslie Sansone's program "walk the pounds away" when you don;t feel like going out to workout or when the weather is bad.

And i started going to the gym! I use the machines and i lift weights. I started with 1 kilo weights (2.2 lbs) and now I lift 3kg (6.6 lbs) :)
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Like they say, start small. Go for a walk. Park further away from the doors at stores. Stairs instead of escalators / elevators. Once walking a mile or so is comfortable walk faster. Then walk farther. Ease into jogging intervals. But most of all losing weight will alleviate those knee and ankle problems. I thought I had 'bad knees' at 300 lbs. Now I can run 10 miles. Just remember to take it slow. Baby steps.

(going uphills is lower impact on your knees also)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    To be str8 up! Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds," would be a great start for you because I'm doing it myself. Right now, I'm walking to " Walk Away the Pounds for Abs," believe me! It really works if you dedicate yourself with your whole heart and your body will reap the benefits if you just believe in yourself....Leslie Sansone is my blessing and I'm going to continue using her workouts....

I previewed this for my mom, to see if she'd get bored. It looks like a great program. Patterns change every few bars - there's some marching, side to side, front/back movements, kicks. If you're currently sedentary it should totally get your heart rate up, and help establish better coordination, in case that's a problem now. There are 20, 30 and 40 minute workouts available on Youtube (don't know how legal they are, but they're there). Also, I thought the instructor presented well, offered encouraging (vs patronizing) patter and used good cues. AND, indoors!
  • amcoltlghgirl
    Options
    I say do yoga. It has worked for me and my mother. She is almost 300 lbs and she loves to do yoga. It relaxes you; you build strength; it tones muscles; and you do lose weight. I know this because I have only done yoga as an exercise and have already lost three pounds. I just started doing it but trust me it works!!
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Walking, swimming, the elliptical is great, and my favorite :noway: the evil stairs.
  • Hollthulhu
    Hollthulhu Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow! All these helpful comments. Thank you EVERYONE! This makes me really happy I joined this community, as everyone seems so helpful.

Reading over the comments, there's so much support and recommendations. I keep noticing the Leslie Sansone and C25K be mentioned, so I am definitely looking into them.

Some have asked if I have a game console, and I do in-fact have a Wii. I will look into finding a used Wii-Fit, it wouldn't hurt to add it to my game collection.

It's also nice to see people relate to my troubles and give encouragement. I worry the most about my right knee, as it goes out on me sometimes or just gets in horrid pain. I noticed on C25K's site about strength training for your knee muscles, so I am going to look into this also.

Thanks again all, and I'll keep checking back for any more tips and encouragement! Going to try using my profile to post little updates to keep me motivated! :)
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I started at 602lb in 2010 and I started by walking. I walked and yes, at first it sucked, it felt like I was dying, and I hated it, but I made myself do it every day. I eventually got a gym membership and started doing treadmill work daily. It gets easier. Just have to make it a habit and keep pushing yourself. I've still got about 210lbs to go to get to my goal but slow and steady keeps it off :)
  • mbellot05
    mbellot05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think all the above advice is great. It is pretty much a matter of being able to do some other sort of additional physical activity. Walking is really good, as is stairs if the joints can take it. I am well over 300 lbs. now, and when I work out I usually walk with my wife, and I throw in some jogs (they feel like sprints) near the end. Also, I enjoy weight training, but I think for me bodyweight exercises are the best because they are more challenging. You have to engage a different suite of muscles than just doing shoulder presses and the like.

Another tip is to be sure to log your exercise. It is really encouraging to see what you can and have done previously, and gives you a benchmark on your progress. Lastly, I work at an office so I try twice an hour to have an excuse to walk around (getting water, picking up prints). It is not really exercise per se, but sitting for eight hours a day is a recipe for death.

Best of luck
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Walking is great, but if you don't feel like going outside, I like doing Just Dance on the Wii. If you don't have one of those, maybe find a fast paced/upbeat dance type workout video or even try Zumba. It's taken me years to find workout DVDs that I actually like. I've tried belly dancing ones, strip tease ones, pilates, Jillian Michaels, etc. Most are boring to me, but I do like the dance based workouts and stuff that keeps moving. You can even use youtube to find all kinds of stuff.
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Play some music and dance. It's worked for some people.
    Yes dancing is fun!! try just dance for the wii..
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know that the Biggest Loser tv show makes a workout DVD. I've seen it in Wal-mart. I've never done it but I would assume that since the show has plenty of 300 lb people on it that it should be good for heavier people. It's pretty cheap, give it a try.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chair aerobics? I get videos off of Spark People and Fitness Blender whenever my knees are bothering me or I have blisters on my feet.

A lot of these involve seated marching, which can be hard with a belly, but the seated leg lifts will help build the muscles around your knees and you can always swing your arms around, adding light weights as you get stronger.
  • BossReyes
    BossReyes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    start walking, do something

You build into running. Walk 1/4 mile for a week, 1/2 mile for a week, 1 mile. Build progress.

This thread inspired myself to start a blog post. :)
    http://www.450tofit.com/do-something-just-do-it/