I don't know what to do?

Options
I work third shift, and I go to school during the day. What little time i have in between I am either sleeping,studying, or spending time with my son. I might average 4 hours a day of sleep...=\ I am restarting and restarting all the time I feel like a total loser. I need to do this, but I also need to do what I am doing to better my future and my son's. =(

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just do your best - you won't be going to school forever. I totally know how you feel - worked full time while going to school at night and have a kid. But then I graduated - and now I get more sleep and can actually spend a little more time on working out and eating better. People always told me to get up earlier and go to the gym before work - yeah, because getting less than 4 hours of sleep is really a fantastic option - I wanted to punch them in the face. This isn't your life forever - do what you can now and you'll have time later to do more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    If that's a much sleep as you're getting, I'd just concentrate on calorie deficit for now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    im sorry to hear things are so crazy. that was how i felt last year. i worked full time and overtime. my fiance had cancer and was in and out of the hospital. in the month of october he had a stem cell transplant in a hospital 2 1/2 hours away from my house. i felt like hell those weeks. i was always getting energy drinks and fast food. that is probably part of why i gained so much weight. hang in there. get some sleep!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    just plan what you want to do when things in your life calm down. maybe now is not the best time for you to be trying to fit in extra stuff- and that's ok. eat healthily, spend quality time with your kid, work hard and do your best in school. once school is done, then you'll have more time to focus on your fitness. you can't do everything at once. give yourself a break, lady!
  • msjessielynn
    msjessielynn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Do what you can when you can:)

take the long way around campus, use your breaks at work to walk. pack a lunch, or plan your meals so you can stay as focused as you can. Every small ripple can make waves:)

Hang in there, it will get better!
  • KathrynKennewell108
    Options
    Focus on learning about good nutrition. Piack up some good books. Read a few pages every day. Slowly absorb what you need to. You can lose weight without having the time to exercise. And you'll probably find you're doing incidental exercise whilst working etc. One day I tracked the calories I used up doing an average day of housework. I was amazed at how much I did without going to the gym. I find that if I narrow down my favoured recipes to something like a 'menu', recipes that I know are balanced - fat, carbs, sugar, fibre, protein, and so on, I know I can rely on them to get me where I want to go with my nutrition. Take it slow. One step at a time. If you do a little more, learn a little more, each day, you will slowly get a hold on this, even despite the craziness of an over-busy life.
  • Pfeiffer24
    Pfeiffer24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Pre plan, pre make, pre freeze all ur meals... get a crock pot and some freezer bags... take 10 mins after grocery shopping to cut n sort recipies in freezer bag... stay healthy. Let it be delicious. And while u would usually be cooking and cleaning workout... even workout with your son... my lil ones likes to do push ups n help motivate me :)... it will get better...
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I struggle with finding time to exercise also focus on diet and add a reasonable exercise goal to your already long to do list.

I would suggest you start with something like "walk for 10 minutes" once you get that 10 minutes firmly into your routine and are able to do it every day for a week increase it to 11 minutes. Keep the increases small and only increase them further when you haven't missed a day for at least a week. You won't get to 30 minutes or an hour anytime soon but by the time you do it will firmly be engrained in your mental schedule as something you need to do that you won't put off.

Ignore people who say exercising less than X minutes is a waste of time your building a habit and that is what will make the exercise work in the long run.
  • Hungrygirl88
    Options
    Thanks you guys, my eyes started to leak reading these...its nice that people care! Hugs out to all of you!!!
  • ambascom
    Options
    To be honest, for a long time I was in a similar boat (though no little ones!). I went to school full time, worked 30+ hours a week, and never had time to work out. That was four years ago. I promised myself this past semester that when I got my degree in December, I would have the time to lose the weight. In the four and a half years of college, I gained about 40-45lbs if not more (I have no idea how much I was at my high school graduation). It's heartbreaking to wake up and realize just how out of control your life is. For me, I waited until I had that degree because I knew stress was a huge factor as to why I wasn't losing weight, no matter how good I ate. (Thankfully I have a low stress job working in at a library, so I can focus on losing weight without getting all stressed out).

I don't know how far away you are to your degree but take my advice: It will get better after graduation. The x-amount of years you are in college are hard, especially when there are kids involved. Keep in mind that this is all temporary and you are doing it for not only yourself, but your son as well. I regret big time waiting until graduation to start my weight loss because I have like 70-80 lbs to lose (probably more. I'm not exactly sure what is ideal for a 5'10" woman. Right now I'm shooting for 160).

Remember, we all are here for you :) You can do it!