When is it best to have the days bigger meal

Options
I know the answers to this will have as many reasons as there are people but I would definitely like your views. Is it best to have the bigger meal at lunch or dinner.

Replies

• koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    For ideal metabolism I would say earlier in the day. But I also believe that there is a lot of benefit to be had from sharing the evening meal with family. I have my larger meal at dinner so I can sit across from my husband and share food and companionship. (Eating lower calorie balanced meals is not hurting him any either.)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't really have MEALS, I moreso 'snack' through out the day. Though since I have upped my calories I do have a few 400-600 calories meals sometimes rather than my usual 200 calorie 'snacks' (snacks still include meats and fruits and such), but I keep the large majority of my calories for the evening, cause that's when I am more likely to think about food. And if I had to try to NOT eat, I think I would be more likely to binge.
  • shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For ideal metabolism I would say earlier in the day. But I also believe that there is a lot of benefit to be had from sharing the evening meal with family. I have my larger meal at dinner so I can sit across from my husband and share food and companionship. (Eating lower calorie balanced meals is not hurting him any either.)

I agree: I'm not sure what it is doing for my metabolism, but I have a great sense of well-being and energy into the evening when I eat breakfast and then have a good meal at lunchtime. It definitely improves my happiness score! I like eating with my family in the evening, too, but I have a lighter meal - maybe not so many carbs.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I like to eat bigger for breakfast or lunch because I have all day to burn it off (and I do plan the burning-off part into my day). But if I eat too much at dinner and go to bed full I wake up hungry again and that means I didnt burn off dinner before eating agian.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I really like this point. I love having dinner with my husband and sitting with him and talking. He is being healthy too so that helps but we make tea and sip it together after to spend time together after a salad or somethign.
  • bodypumpfan
    bodypumpfan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    breakfast then the metabolism start working
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    During the week I eat a larger evening meal with the family, at weekends I have a larger breakfast. My danger time for over eating is at home so I try and build in the mealtimes to stop me snacking. Good luck
  • purplepiggy1
    Options
    I like having even sized meals and definatley allowing for snack in between each meal, but usually my dinner ends up being larger then finished with dessert!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I eat 50% of my calorie goal after 7pm...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    When is best is a purely individual thing and should be based on adherence, gym performance, energy levels and lifestyle. Intra-day meal timing has no direct impact on your metabolism.

I like to eat most of my calories in the evening as this is when I am hungriest and it is easier to prepare a larger meal then. I also usually lift in the morning and so eat as late as possible to take advantage of the calories.

This is a good read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Basically each to their own!

I eat in windows, so I eat 100% of my calories between 3pm and 9pm. I have 300g cottage cheese after my workout then a big meal 2 hours before bed. I don't like going to bed hungry. Eating a big breakfast or lunch makes me feel lethargic, slow and lazy all day. But that certainly isn't the same for everyone.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'd say try to have the biggest meals earlier in the day and then keep scaling them down.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    breakfast then the metabolism start working
    Your metabolism doesn't stop working overnight.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think the best time is the time that suits your personal preference, fits into your lifestyle and helps keep you on track with whatever your goals are. If having a big breakfast sets you up for the day, go for it. If eating breakfast makes you ravenous mid-morning, then maybe it's not a good idea. If eating late at night gives you indigestion when you go to bed, then that's not a good idea either.

I tend to eat lighter earlier on - I either have a small breakfast, or skip breakfast entirely. I have lunch of about 350-450 calories. I then have a larger meal after about 7pm, and snacks in the evening up until I go to bed. If it's a day when I have a lot more calories to consume because I've exercised a lot for example, then I will try to have a bigger lunch or snack in the afternoon too.
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My docs told me it's all about calories in calories out and time of day means nothing.

Worked for me, as always in the past I used to try and switch my eating habits and failed. Now I eat most of my cals in the evening when I am really hungry and now stay within my goals.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    whenever you feel the most hungry. For me it is in the evening so I save all my calories to the evening for that reason. It works for me :)
  • ChrisRoss_01
    Options
    I believe in the old adage, "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper." It seems to be working for me. If I ate a large dinner, it would go to the waistline, even if I was a little under on calories for the day.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Whenever you like. I eat most of my calories after 9pm (1000+ cals) and it has never affected my losses one way or the other.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a big breakfast with lots of protein (eggs, bacon...) Having a big breakfast helps me to stay in control all day. :) Eating a decent lunch is nice too....I don't like eating a big meal at night...gives me nightmares! :) I say breakfast for the big meal. :)
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    For me, lunch. If I don't eat throughout the day, I'm cranky and shaky and I end up overeating. I also would rather consume energy when I need it-during the day, and not go to bed with a full stomach. This is just my preference though, not any science behind it.