Been using MFP for the last 10 months my success so far...

Options
dar8600
dar8600 Posts: 11 Member
Hi everyone I wanted to share my success story that I have been working on. I will also post my before and after pic as well. The story itself is kind of long and wordy but I would appreciate any input that you all can give me. This is my first posting so please bear with me. Also I want to thank the MFP people as their app was and is still an intricate part of my weight loss journey. Thank you in advance.

My Success Story…A Work in Progress
Hi, my name is Dan and I am a very fat man or I was on February 28th 2012.
It’s been said that in order to make a real, meaningful, positive and definitive change you have to hit bottom, you know really hit the low point in order to realize that you need to make a change. My low point occurred at the beginning of 2012. I have known that I was fat, not “well I could lose a few pounds”, or “yeah I should probably work out more” kind of fat. This was the “holy $%^* what the hell happened to me” kind of fat that you see roaming the United States in a disturbingly large number. It’s the kind of fat that frequents the chains of all you can eat buffets and fast food restaurants that dot the countryside. You get the picture.
Anyways, like I said, I am fat. Part of making a change is knowing how you got into this situation in the first place. I knew I was getting rounder in the middle over the years since I had gotten out of the military, but I just assumed that it was part of life. My family is made up of big Italian stock who like to eat, so I just considered this to be a family tradition so to speak. It’s weird as I look back on it, getting fat that is. It was kind of like standing on a train track and watching a train come barreling down at you at a really slow speed but you just continue to stand there on the track and watch it happen without doing anything to get out of the way. There is lots of time to make a move but you just continue to stand there and let it finally run you over. For me, getting fat was like that. It creeps up on you when you either don’t pay attention to your expanding waistline or you just ignore the fact that you pants are getting bigger and bigger and wow they don’t carry your size here at this store. When I got out of the military in 1995, I was 189 lbs. Here is some scary math: in 17 years I had put on 113 lbs. That amount of weight is probably the equivalent to a chubby supermodel. Sure, it works out to be only a little over six-and-a-half pounds a year but, still, that is a huge amount of weight.
In addition to being fat at the beginning of this journey, and that’s what it’s become for me, a journey, I was 302 pounds and I smoked. Now 302 pounds if you’re a NFL linebacker is not so bad. 302 pounds when your 5’10” and have no aspirations of playing in the NFL is a serious problem. I am sure that I was heading for a heart attack. I would come home from work and sit in my recliner too tired to do anything. I snored when I slept, and I would stop breathing for minutes at a time so often that my wife would nudge me to get me to start breathing again. I was unhappy with myself and what I had become. I had to make a change, not just for me but for my wife and my kids. What I needed was a do over, or a means to repair the damage that I had done to myself. Like the Six Million Dollar Man TV show when I was a kid, “we can rebuild him, stronger, faster…” in this case I wanted to create Dan 2.0
So the journey began without much fanfare. I had quit smoking on New Year’s Eve 2012, and turned 40 on January 14th. I figured it was a start, I mean at least I was not smoking anymore. When I quit smoking I was probably in the 290s weight wise, so that whole thing about gaining a few pounds when you quit smoking was true for me. Getting healthy was going to take some work besides quitting smoking. Sure I was not smoking, but I was still fat and unhappy about it. I needed a kick to get going. That kick came in February when my partner from work, called me up and asked me if I wanted to do the Warrior Dash with him and his niece and nephew. My first reaction was that he should stop drinking so much before he calls me because he gets these crazy ideas; however, after thinking about it, I said yeah I would do it. This was the kick in the *kitten* that I needed.
I set the start date for my program at March 1st and looked at what I had to use in my quest to get unfat. Now this was not my first attempt at trying to downsize my persona, most of us at one time or another has thought that “maybe I could drop a few pounds and feel a little better”. In 2002. I made an attempt and ordered the Tony Little Gazelle Free Style elite machine. I hate running because it made my knees, ankles, back, ego and lungs hurt so I only ran 4 times a year because work made me. Did I mention that I am a federal law enforcement officer? Anyways, I had the gazelle in my basement. In another failed attempt in 2009, I ordered the Power 90 Program, P90X and the chin up bar. Oh, I was serious about it that time. Well I did lose some weight, 24 pounds and kept it off for the summer but gained it back over the winter plus some extra which I think was my body’s way of saying “what the hell were you thinking???”
So I had the Gazelle, Power 90, P90X, (but I was too afraid to open the box, it’s all black and scary), and the myfitnesspal app on my phone. This time, on March 1st, I was going to do it. I had to do something because August 25th was the Warrior Dash that I had signed up for and paid to participate in. So I started out doing the Power 90 Program and doing the Gazelle 3 times a week. Doing both programs was for the lack of a better word, exhausting; however, as you go from doing nothing to doing something you begin to see changes. First thing, clothes that were getting tight start fitting better. I was in 46 waist jeans that were getting kind of tight. After a week, I had lost 12 lbs. I was moving forward.
Like I said earlier, I am a federal law enforcement officer, specifically a Federal Air Marshal. I spend a lot of time on airplanes and in airports so I spend a majority of my time eating out. Needless to say, this is not the optimum condition for losing weight or keeping your waistline in check. Using the myfitnesspal app on my phone has been a vital tool for me losing the weight. Anyways, four times a year the agency that I work for insists that me and the rest of my colleagues take a physical training (PT) test to show us just how physically sad we have become. Granted when I started on the job in 2002 I was 30 years old weighing in at 245 and I was feeling like that was not so bad. I had the idea in my head that as I got older I would continue to grow and I was always big since leaving the military anyways so 245 seemed like no big deal. So the PT test is 4 times a year and consists of a minute of pushups, sit ups, pull ups and just for fun, a timed 1.5 mile run. I did not look forward to the PT test 4 times a year. I would have rather had a root canal than do the PT test.
At my worst, and probably my heaviest weight I did no pull ups, 39 pushups, 42 sit ups and did the 1.5 mile run in slightly under a week, ok it was like 23:50 something but it felt like almost a week. Plus that feeling, the soreness and everything stayed with me for a week afterward. The first PT test I took after I began my program was in May and I had lost 32 lbs. I did 0 pull ups, 43 pushups, 43 sit ups and did the run in 16:03. That in my opinion was a pretty good finish. To put it bluntly I was stoked, as I had not done that well in 10 years. Progress is one of the best motivators.
The Warrior dash was on August 25th and I was down 64 pounds when I woke up on that morning. At 11:30, my partner Steve, his niece and nephew and my buddy Charlie (who was still smoking and a fuller figured gentleman like me, and I had goaded into doing this race with me) took off from the starting line. To anyone who is not familiar with the Warrior Dash, it’s a 5K, or 3.12 mile obstacle course where you and a bunch of other crazy people pay like $75 to run the course. You jump over fire, crawl through mud and get to climb over obstacles. It benefits St Jude’s Children’s Hospital, so it’s a good cause and gives you a reason for being there besides the medal, the Viking helmet and the smoked turkey leg and free beer that you get for finishing. I highly recommend doing one of these races as it was a blast. Well if you trained for it, it was a blast. My buddy Charlie wanted to kill me after the first quarter mile for getting him into this madness.
I felt great and was ready for the race so when Charlie crumpled up at the quarter mile point wheezing and saying to “go on without him” I figured I should probably not leave him lest he stroke out and his wife kill me. Steve finished the race in 1 hour 2 minutes, and Charlie and I finished the race in 1 hour 18 minutes. I was not even winded, and this race appears to have been a wakeup call for Charlie who has already decided that we are going to break an hour completion time next year when we do this.
The next day I was back at work flying from Chicago to Baltimore. Little did I realize that the blond woman in the seat next to me would become so instrumental in my journey to getting unfat.
So the flight is boarding and the last open seat on the plane is next to me. Here comes this small blond woman who says “you must have been saving that seat for me”, which I was happy about because she was small and I usually get the guy twice my size sitting next to me so this was a nice change.
Anyway I was getting fidgety and my legs were twitchy from the race the day before and while I was shifting around in my seat I bumped into my seatmate. I apologized for bumping her and explained that I was sore from doing the Warrior Dash the day before. I also introduced myself and learned that her name is Heather. She was in Chicago visiting her new grandbaby and trying to get home to South Carolina but she had missed her original flight and wound up on this one. Strange how sometimes things just happen.
So now my new friend, Heather, and I get to talking about the Warrior Dash and I mentioned how I had lost 64 pounds to do the race and how I did it using the Beach Body Power 90 program, the Gazelle freestyle and the myfitnesspal app on my phone. She proceeds to tell me that she is a coach with Beach Body and how my progress was great. She also encouraged me to start using the P90X program that I already had but was too scared to open. She also showed me the P90X phone app which I downloaded as well and she invited me to join her ‘Bringing It” group on Facebook. She is now my coach on the Beach Body website and gave me the kick in the *kitten* that I needed to start using P90X. Thank you again Heather!
On August 30th I had to take another PT test for work. I was 65 pounds lighter and I made it my goal to really do it. I mean I was looking forward to doing the PT test. My results were surprising for everyone, my boss, the training guys, my coworkers and to me especially. I did 2 pull ups. 2 PULL UPS!!!!! In its own right that was amazing to me as I had never done any before but what followed was the real shocker. 50 pushups, 50 sit ups and I did the 1.5 mile run in 13:40. That was flying. That was the fastest I had moved since I was 18 in basic training where I ran 2 miles in 13:10. This weight loss thing just keeps getting better and better.
On September 1st, I started doing the P90X Lean program. I started P90X at 237 pounds. On day 30 I weighed in at 221 pounds. Today is day 34 of the program and I am well on my way. I am still using the myfitnesspal app, the gazelle and hotel elliptical machines 3 times a week and I have never felt better. I have gone from tight 46 jeans to comfortable or slightly lose 36 jeans. My wardrobe is too big for me, and I have shrunk out of my wedding band. My wife, Malinda, who married me at 260 pounds, is amazed at my transformation. She is one of those naturally thin people that fat guys like me hate. As of today, I have lost a total of 81 pounds. My goal weight is 200 pounds, however I am getting greedy and think that I may want to get down to 190. Like I said earlier, when I got out of the Army in 1995 I was 189 pounds which would be great however If or I should say when I get down to 190 pounds I will have lost 112 pounds total which is almost one of my wife.
Well, that’s my success story which is still in progress. I have to thank Heather and Matt for everything that they have done for me both in person, and via the internet, sending me the samples to try and offering me positive feedback about my progress. The kick in the *kitten* from Heather to get me started with the P90X program has been one of the pivotal moments in my life, and I encourage anyone that is willing to read this or to listen to my story start the P90X program. If you can do the program in person with Heather and Matt, I encourage you to do it and envy your good fortune for having the opportunity to participate in a class that they teach. This will change your life. Oh one more thing, always, BRING IT!
Daniel A. Rich,
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
October 4, 2012

My Success Story….The Update
I have been meaning to write this update for some time now but I have always seemed to have something else stealing my time. In any case, here is the update. I took another PT test in October and blew it out of the water, I mean I owned it. 5 pull ups, 50 pushups, 50 sit ups and 1.5 mile run in 12:42. That was my last PT test for 2012 so I am really looking forward to taking the next one in 2013.
A couple of weeks ago, I started the Beach Body Shakeology program at my Coach’s urging. I have never been a real fan of meal replacement shakes mainly because they never filled me up. I have to admit I was skeptical; however. I have become a big fan of it and encourage anyone who wants to make this kind of change in their life to definitely try it. I carry it on the road with me and this has become my go to breakfast every day.
I finished my first round of P90X on December 6, 2012. I weighed in at 200 lbs. What took 17 years of poor food choices, not exercising, a lack of will power and some serious denial to do, I managed to undo in only 281 days! Was it easy? No, not at all. I was probably one of the hardest things that I have ever done. There were days where I did not want to work out, days when I was weak willed and ate stuff that any sane health conscious person would be like “what the hell is wrong with you???” The “pig pie” pizza incident comes to mind, 5 types of pork topping 3 types of cheese, hot peppers…so wrong but so good. Was it worth it? The pig pie, no well…no, making the changes and losing the weight. Absolutely!
Since hitting my initial goal of 200 lbs. I have continued working out and have set a new goal of 185 lbs. When you lose 102 lbs. what’s another 15 right? I am currently weighing in at 197 and wear 34 waist jeans. I am doing a maintenance form of P90X while I wait for my next program, Les Mills Combat, to arrive from Beach Body. Recently, I took my old suits to Men’s Warehouse to get resized. My old suits were size 56 and needed to be adjusted to fit me when I got them 2 years ago. The guy who works there looked at the suits and said that there was no way to resize them that much so I had to buy 2 new suits. I am now a size 46, right off the rack no alterations needed which is nice.
I also have taken the serious step of getting rid of all of my “fat clothes”. I donated 27 pairs of jeans, 14 pairs of pants, 12 pairs of shorts, and a bunch of shirts, sweaters and belts to charity. I no longer need them and, hopefully, whoever gets them will only wear that size for a short time before they decide to make a positive change in their life. I did keep a pair of my size 46 jeans that my daughter and I can wear together. Just a little reminder for me to show how far I have come.
As I look back over 2012 and all that I have accomplished, I have a feeling of pride in what I have done, losing the weight, finishing my Master’s degree, completing the Warrior dash and basically succeeding in creating Dan 2.0. I am without a doubt in the best shape of my life. For my next challenge I have decided that I am going to run the Cleveland Half Marathon in May of 2013. A year ago, I would have gone to get my head examined for even thinking about doing something like this. Now being healthy, working out and challenging myself physically and mentally has become somewhat of an obsession.
My successes with the Beach Body programs and my weight loss has not only affected my life but also the lives of many of my coworkers. I have several people in my office working out and dropping serious weight. One of my friends is down over 50 lbs., Steve, who helped me get moving, is down over 60 lbs. and there are several others. My wife has been doing the Power 90 program for 45 days and has lost 2 inches off her hips and has her six pack back. My sister is also doing the Power 90 program. I have to show my drivers license when I travel all the time and the picture that is on the ID barely looks like me. I am constantly asked how I lost all the weight, and I keep telling everyone that with the right tools, anyone can do this. I was called a “weight loss rock star” by one person who I was explaining my transformation process to.
While I have had a lot of success, I do have what I like to call “Fat Guy Regret”. At 40 years old you look back on what you have done over the last 40 years and evaluate what you could have and should have done better. There are plenty of times where I could have done more to change, should have started earlier and because of whatever reason, I wasted a lot of years being unhappy and out of shape. When you look at a Beach Body infomercial it’s hard to imagine that you can have the same type of success or get the results that people have in the commercial. I never thought it was possible for me to have this type of success. One thing is for sure. If you follow the programs, do the work, meaning pressing play and bringing it anyone can have this type of success. The only way this doesn’t work is if you decide not to make the commitment.
Well that’s all I got for now. I hope that my success story has helped someone decide to make a positive change in their lives like I did. This change is one thing I will never regret. I urge anyone taking the time to read my story, to make a commitment to being the best that you can be. It’s hard work but hey, nothing good is ever easy. 185, I’m coming for ya!!!
Take care and always Bring It!!!!
Daniel A. Rich
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
December 14, 2012

PS; A quick thanks to my Coach, Heather Bell, you have been an intricate and vital part of my success and had it not been for a chance encounter I would possibly have never started P90X or made it this far.

Update Part 3
This update is probably filled with some of the most exciting activities that have happened in my journey to date. Last week I got a phone call from Richard Neal. If you don’t know who he is Google his name and you will see probably one of the most inspirational stories ever. In any case, my coach was instrumental in this phone call and I have to say it was another instance of perfect timing. I had been stuck for the last month at 197 lbs and I was beginning to think I would never make it past that mark. Richard gave me some ideas to try and when you get advice about losing weight from a guy who has lost half his body weight and gets featured on 20/20 you tend to listen cause he knows what he is talking about. Armed with a renewed vigor I pressed on. I am now starting week four in the Les Mills Combat program and I have busted through my plateau. I am down to 194 and only have 9 pounds to go to reach my next goal of 185.
Yesterday I was contacted by Beachbody and informed that I was selected as December 2012 monthly success story $1000 winner. How is that for motivation? Also I turn 41 on Monday. Happy birthday to me!
I will have an update when there is more for me to share.

Take care and always BRING IT….or now, KEEP IT REAL AND STAY WITH THE FIGHT!!!!
Daniel A. Rich
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
January 12, 2013

Update #4
I became a coach for Beachbody on January 14, 2013. After much urging from my coach I decided that I needed to give back to and what better way than to help others feel as good as I do. After putting my before and after pic on my Facebook page for all to see, I am still disturbed by the before one myself and announcing that I have become a coach, I have been contacted by several people to help them do what I have done. All I have to say is thank you for the opportunity to help you. I want you to be even more successful than me! If I can do this so can you.
In other news, I am still on my journey to 185 and finishing week 4 of Combat. I weighed in this morning and lost another pound bringing me down to 193 lbs. Only 8 more to go.
Take care and always BRING IT….or now, KEEP IT REAL AND STAY WITH THE FIGHT!!!!
Daniel A. Rich
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
January 18, 2013

Replies

• brandiepair
    Options
    Wow, that's an awesome story!!! I'm in the middle of my first round of p90x. You inspire me!! Keep it up!!
  • dar8600
    dar8600 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • MeriLeMay
    MeriLeMay Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Awesome story and inspiration. Thanks for sharing!
  • Lrodda6
    Options
    Wow! Amazing story..congrats you really motivated me to stick with my plan.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You are the man! Way to go, dude! You are an inspiration.
  • peggy822
    peggy822 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What a great story! I just walked my 1st 5 k last week and I am doing the warrior dash this summer, no matter what!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Fabulous read. Thanks so much for sharing this inspirational journey.
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    THANK you for posting!! A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Your story might just be what I needed to get my *kitten* in gear!
  • KimL122
    KimL122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is an absolutely AWESOME damn story...I mean totally AWESOME. Congrats to you.
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    This is a very inspiring and well written story.What a journey. Congats on your healthy lifestyle. I'm 45 and finally taking charge of my health and well being.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You have NO IDEA how much I needed this. I'm bored, tired and cold and in a complete funk. your words are just what I needed to fight through and get me over the hump. Im actually a little teary right now. Thank you. You will be an awesome coach.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Wow, amazing job! I admire you!
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great story and very inspirational. I'm going to check out Beach Body to see what it's all about. It has inspired me to really try to reach my goal by the end of the year. Thank you. And...Happy Belated Birthday!!
  • Karintjie
    Karintjie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wow! just wow!! What a story!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Wow. Am so glad I read through all of that, what a fab story. Well done you!!
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    great story dude. I missed my workout this morning and was thinking about going for a beer and saying to hell with it all. i guess im going to blow that off and go to the gym. Sharing this stuff can really help people going through the same things.
  • danielcartmel81
    danielcartmel81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thats amazing keep it up &i remember when i got to my goal of 200 its an amazing feeling and building new goals and dreams is the best part
  • jerman01
    jerman01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Keep it up.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    DAR, first & foremost, congrats, a great job you have done. My story is pretty similar to yours. When I was a kid and teenager, I was thin. When I was 18-24,I was solid, exercised, and worked out. I am 6ft tall with a large frame,and was around 200-215 during that time, very comfortable weight for me (where I hope to get to again). Then came my mid 20's. I put on another 10 or 15 pounds, but didnt worry too much. I got married at age 25, and I was 228, and within a couple weeks, I remember the scale turning from 229 to 230, and I joked with my Wife that married life was already making me fat. But like many others, I was happy,content,newly married, not dating or trying to impress anybody, and stopped working out. Big mistake! I have my mom's metabolism. She was very thin until her mid 20's and then started packing on weight very fast and got up to 300 lbs over many years, as if somebody turned off her metabolism switch, same as me. Within a few years, I was into the 260's and settled in at 265 for quite a while (man would I love to be back there now, even though it is still higher than I hope to get to). Then,I broke my leg, and for a total of about 16 weeks, was in various boots, etc,no activity, no nothing,lots of couch time, out of work, and my diet stayed the same, and before I knew it,i was 300 pounds. When I hit 300, I started fighting to get down, and started working out and went on a couple diets. I got down under 300, and then back up over it. Then, my Wife became pregnant with my Daughter. I started eating eveything she at, plus some, and got up to 330. Then, for the last few months, I had a non-stop hunger & cravings, and ate and ate, all the way to now at 353 pounds. I am double what I was when I graduated high school, and I still remember after I got married and the scale went from 229 to 230, and wish I could go back in time and make a change right then. Now, I am on blood pressure med and cholesterol med, and am worried about diabetes which is sure to come if I dont stop it, I have a 2 yr old daughter who I want to see grow up, and a great loving wife. I have finally put my foot down, and stopped the madness. I am only 3 days in, but feel more motivated then ever before. My goal is to get to 215-225 lbs eventually,but anything under 250 I would be happy with. I joined a gym, and will start going this upcoming week. Shooting for 2 pounds a week, and thrilled with the idea that this time next year, I could be 100 pounds less. I wn't lie, I do enjoy food, snacks, etc, so I got rid of that stuff,and will ignore it. As much as I like that stuff, a 200 calorie snack or candybar takes seconds to eat,but takes 30 minutes to burn off, not really fair, so I dont want any part of snacks, candies, etc. Anyhow, I hope to have similar success to you and hope to get the same results. Good luck the rest of the way!
  • anndmorg
    anndmorg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WOW! Such a inspirational story.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!