Not losing, already pretty healthy diet.

Options
Hey everyone!
So I have a BMI of 25 (so only slightly over) and my goal is to lose 20 lbs.
I am consistantly under my calories for the day but not by a huge amount.
I am getting enough nutrients that I can see (in addition to food take multiviatmins and other vitamins)
I am a vegetarian (still eat egg white and some diary products)
I started working out again after an injury about a week ago. Before working out I had lost 5 lbs in about 2 weeks. Now that I am working out I have gained 2 back consistantly. I am really frustrated that I am not losing. I mean, I have had pizza twice but I stayed under my goal so I think it should be ok. I dont really have anything really bad to cut out. I havent had fast food in over a year, I rarely drink any soda or sugary drinks, I don't eat prcessed meats....I don't know what I should cut out to start losing.
My body hasn't gotten tighter or thinner and my clothes fit the same. My husband is on practically the exact same diet and he lost weight and toned up right away. I am just getting really discouraged. Can someone with nutrition background look at my diary and tell me the honest truth? Other than adding meat (which I am opposed to completely) what changes can I make to lose fat?

PS. I am planning on increasing my workouts as my ankle gets better and I have began weight training again also.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is water weight - you started working out again so your muscles are storing glycogen and water.

I had a look at your diary - you should be eating more.I would suggest getting your protein up. Other than that, you just need to be patient. You are already slim - you should aim and expect to lose about 1lb a week
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Now that I am working out I have gained 2 back consistantly.

That could well be fluid retention due to both your injury or your newly established exercise regime.

It's hard to tell what is going on until your injury has fully resolved and you are back to your normal routine. If you continue to gain at that point (don't panic if you do before you have got better- much better to establish what is going on now rather than experience months of frustration) then:

a) check the accuracy of your calorie counting (are you weighing /measuring your food intake correctly)
    b) check the accuracy of your calorie expenditure from exercise (are you over estimating)
    c) re establish your calorie deficit
    d) re assess after a month.

If this doesn't work then take a break from dieting for a few weeks then get back into it.

Understand that given you don't have much too lose that this will probably be a marathon to the finish line, not a sprint.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Sara- Do you think I should change my setting to 1 lb a week instead of two?
    It is water weight - you started working out again so your muscles are storing glycogen and water.

I had a look at your diary - you should be eating more.I would suggest getting your protein up. Other than that, you just need to be patient. You are already slim - you should aim and expect to lose about 1lb a week
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    MS74- Thanks for the ideas. I did start measuring my food instead of guessing a couple weeks ago and I am doing good with that. As for calories I just do what MFP says or wha the elliptical says. Do you think it is important to invest in one of those body bugs or fitbits?
    Now that I am working out I have gained 2 back consistantly.

That could well be fluid retention due to both your injury or your newly established exercise regime.

It's hard to tell what is going on until your injury has fully resolved and you are back to your normal routine. If you continue to gain at that point (don't panic if you do before you have got better- much better to establish what is going on now rather than experience months of frustration) then:

a) check the accuracy of your calorie counting (are you weighing /measuring your food intake correctly)
    b) check the accuracy of your calorie expenditure from exercise (are you over estimating)
    c) re establish your calorie deficit
    d) re assess after a month.

If this doesn't work then take a break from dieting for a few weeks then get back into it.

Understand that given you don't have much too lose that this will probably be a marathon to the finish line, not a sprint.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sara- Do you think I should change my setting to 1 lb a week instead of two?

Yes I do. There are a number of reasons for keeping the deficit at a reasonable level - hormonal, maintenance of LBM, adherence, energy levels for the gym etc. One pound a week is a good rate for the amount you have to lose.

Try eating to that level.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    MS74- Thanks for the ideas. I did start measuring my food instead of guessing a couple weeks ago and I am doing good with that. As for calories I just do what MFP says or wha the elliptical says. Do you think it is important to invest in one of those body bugs or fitbits?

Sorry for jumping in as I know that I was not quoted, however, I do not think it necessary to buy one unless you really want to and they are not very accurate for cardio in any event. I would eat back 50 - 75% of what the machines say. That will give you a buffer, plus if you drop the goal to 1lb a week, you have a little more wiggle room if you are underestimating.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Getting an accurate calorie count will be difficult simply because of the range motion of the machine. They are not like say running machine or stationary bikes which tend to throw out much more accurate numbers.

Whether you want to go down the HRM route is up to you. I don't think it necessary really. Just average out the number between MFP and the machine value if you want.

ETA: or eat back a % like Sara has said. That's a good idea.
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I am going to change my rate of weekly loss to a pound instead. I was losing more then. I appreciate the help :)
  • 4mrunner
    4mrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're not eating enough...one of the biggest culprits for women.
  • 4mrunner
    4mrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No one should be eating uder 1200 calories a day...not even an 80 year old woman. You are putting your body into starvation mode and will slow down your metabolism. You have to give your body the proper fuel it needs.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

^^^ Exactly this!!!!!! When you start a new training program it is inevitable you will retain water. Be patient!