How long until your stomach shrinks?

Options
For people here that have started where I am, how long until your stomach shrinks? I am on day 3 today of my diet. Day 1, my stomach growled non-stop, and I was hungry all day it seemed, but I did not give in. Yesterday, I only got hungry right around the time I ate my meals. This morning, my stomach is growling away. When I am super hungry like this, that's when I tend to eat bad stuff, although I refuse to anymore, so I will have a banana and some cottage cheese. But when can I expect my stomach to shrink ,and my hunger issues, to be less frequent? Am I going to just have to get used to being hungry? I am trying to eat healthier foods, and smaller portions.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? I ask because a lot of people when they start off don't eat enough calories.

It takes your eyes a lot longer to shrink than your stomach, I can tell you that!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? I know that some people say they needed to go hungry for a bit to shrink their stomachs, but personally I haven't been hungry the whole time I've been here. If your calorie goal is appropriate then you can work on getting enough protein and fat. That will help you stay full longer. Another trick I have learned for myself is to have hot tea, coffee, or broth. Something about the hot liquid seems to help. But if you're still hungry after that, you need to eat. Just make it something healthy. As you noted, if you're really hungry you're much more likely to get out of control and blow your day.
  • masfe
    masfe Posts: 17
    Options
    You can't target where you lose fat, and it's different for everyone.

Some people lose weight on their stomach first, some don't. Just keep losing weight and as you become lean eventually your belly fat will go away
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    water! when my stomach growls I go for water. It has helped in the long run :) mine has shrunk without me noticing!!

:drinker:
  • SVMR17
    SVMR17 Posts: 33
    Options

Some people lose weight on their stomach first, some don't. Just keep losing weight and as you become lean eventually your belly fat will go away

masfe: I think the original poster is referring to shrinking his stomach (the organ where the food goes) --- not the belly fat. He is trying to make his stomach smaller so he becomes fuller faster (something different than spot reducing, which you're right, is not possible).
  • Willkathmum
    Willkathmum Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you are eating healthier foods you can probably eat larger portions, my meals often look much bigger than previously as I am eating lots of veggies and wholesome foods which aren't as dense in calories. I'm not an expert as have only been going since the beginning of January but I often have a drnk initially when I think I am hungry, plus with me it is breaking the habit of eating rather than the need to eat.
    Good luck!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    water is quite a good hunger suppressant in my experience.
  • masfe
    masfe Posts: 17
    Options

masfe: I think the original poster is referring to shrinking his stomach (the organ where the food goes) --- not the belly fat. He is trying to make his stomach smaller so he becomes fuller faster (something different than spot reducing, which you're right, is not possible).

oh ok :D
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I took some advice from these forums recently and tweaked my macros so I'm eating a lot more protein and it has made a big difference to how often I feel hungry. I'm now eating 40% of my calories as carbs, 30% as protein and 30% as fat and it has made a HUGE difference!

Drinking lots of water helps a bit too.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    I don't know about how long your stomach takes to shrink but I'll vote with the people who say drink water (or unsweetend herbal tea) when you're hungry. I was amazed when I started logging calories how many calories were in bread and oil and how few were in things like courgette (zuchini I think in the US) or mushrooms (provided they're not fried). If you cut fat out of your diet (use a non-stick pan and far less oil for example) and bulk up with stuff that is really low calorie then you can eat more volume so you're not as hungry.

Oh try to cut out sugar too as it makes you hungry (by changing your insulin levels), I don't think anyone has shown sweeteners doing the same thing but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Your stomach never physically shrinks.

Your hormone levels will change which makes you feel full faster, this may take a matter of days for some people but it could take a couple of weeks. Keep on eating the appropriate amount of calories and filling foods and the hunger should be minimal.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Your stomach never actually shrinks, it's the same size. Eat some celery or a pickle?
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It took me about 10 days to get used to the new pattern, remember if its a sudden stomach growl it is not physical hunger it is more of a habitual thing.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I spread my calories out over 6-8 meals. Plus if you eat clean you can eat a LOT more food.
    Also most hunger pains are dehydration. Drink 100 oz of water a day and especially if you get hungry.

The trick is to never get hungry.
  • 1goodgranny
    Options
    Make sure you are eating lean protein foods. They stay with you longer so you'll feel hungry less frequently. Fiber, too. Fiber will make you feel more full and, um, keeps things moving along. Remember that a lot of the hungry feeling is because your mind and body are used to being stuffed. Now you are eating less so your mind is waiting for more, more, more! Get used to feeling "satisfied", not stuffed.Visualize yourself eating smaller portions and more healthy foods. Visualze your future self-lean, healthy, energized.
    When you start feeling hungry,eat a protein bar and drink a glass of water, then find something to do! Get up and move. Go outside for a walk, vacuum a floor, orgainize a closet, etc. Just don't allow yourself to get too hungry. If you do, you'll want to over eat at the next meal.
    Don't hope for too much, too soon. You'll set yourself up for failure that way. Stay steady. Work toward your goal every day, every day, every day.
    More than anything, keep going. Take it one day at a time. Do well today. Do well tomorrow.
  • karen4ever
    karen4ever Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Myth or Fact: If you cut down on your food intake, you'll eventually shrink your stomach so you won't be as hungry.

Answer: Myth. Once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan.

Edited to add, got info from here - http://women.webmd.com/pharmacist-11/stomach-problems
  • darthjen
    darthjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, from my understanding. For me, my stomach is the first thing to shrink. It's also the last thing to grow on my body and it's my body telling me I need to desperately stop gaining weight. The first thing to accumulate fat are my butt and thighs, also the last parts of my body to lose fat. It took about a month or two for me to see inches lost around my mid-section and that was with a lot of exercise and a lot of calories cutting.

Just reviewed the thread and noticed you may mean decreasing your stomach size not fat removal. I drink three liters of water daily; two liters should be fine for you, I drink three thanks to exercise. Also split up my calories between six meals so I'm never hungry except for in the morning. Also, filling up on healthy options like vegetables and lean protein choices you'll notice that you will have A LOT to eat with very little calories.
  • cherioh
    Options
    From my own reading, it can take two to three weeks for your stomach to "unstretch" down to it's normal size. Like others who have posted, I am concerned about the growling and the feeling of hunger you are experiencing. I have only had this type of issue when I ate far too few calories which can send your body the message that it needs to lower its metabolic rate. Unless you are using something like fitbit, you may have underestimated your average or normal activity rate which in part determines the number of calories you should consume for weight loss. I applaud you going for the banana and cottage cheese and not giving in to the nasty food. I also have found that hot drinks help me feel full like another person posted. One of my newer healthy habits is to drink a full glass of water before a meal and a full glass with the meal which helps me feel full too. Another trick is to eat a half or full portion of almonds, walnuts, or pistachios along with a glass of water. The healthy fat and protein will give you long lasting energy and the fiber and water will help stave off your hunger until your next meal.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am following MFP strategy of losing 2 pounds a week, and to do this,I need to take in 2430 calories a day,and I always try to take in around 2300. Not exercising yet until next weekend,that's when my gym membership starts.

Thanks for all the replies & advice
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Smoothie, Smoothie, Smoothie, Smoothie. Best thing i did was get into Smoothies.

If thats too high in calories, try a chunk of Watermelon.

Ive tried the water thing. Its never really worked for me. Still feel hungry after a short while.

Grazing works a treat too. Just keep it heathy and you can eat all day.