What's the best choice in an Indian restaurant?

Options
It's hubby's birthday tonight and its only fair to let him choose the restaurant for his birthday treat so he has chosen Indian food. What's the best option for me to eat? I have around 1000 calories left today and I can eat most things.

Anything in particular I should avoid?

Thanks x

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    This comes up all the time, it's worth running a search.
  • jpell420
    Options
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/10-ways-eat-healthy-indian-restaurant

Haha. I was just reading this article. I'm sure it holds true for women as well.

Go with tandoori! Yum.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    homemade, hahaha we use to go out but then we created an amazing recipie by combining a few and now we have it 2x a week my husbands favorite meal ever.
    sorry seriously I don't know I would do research check to see if there is a website and any nutritional info... if not check into some homemade recipies online for approx cal for what you like to eat... and then either stick to that or enjoy the night (I don't know where you are on your journey, me I would count but I am not where i want to be yet and am very strict with myself till then, but my husband is also very strict with himself as he wants me to get to my goal weight and then we will celebrate together! So we have both forgone birthday dinners and cakes and christmas treats for this last year together.)
    Sorry I guess I am not much help but if you want a great recipie I can share it. pm me...
    the recipie is for curry chicken
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Only think I can think of off the top of my head is the tandoori chicken. Most of the dishes with sauces I can think of come with large amounts of clarified butter or cream. Maybe dal?

Good luck.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would go for the chicken tikka (breast meat and doesn't have a sauce, just coated in spices and cooked in the tandoor oven), a small portion of plain boiled rice and some cucumber & onion raita (plain yoghurt with cucumber and onion in it). Really filling but low fat and about as healthy as you can get in an Indian restaurant! Enjoy whatever you have and if you go over your calorie count, just be really good the next couple of days and it should all even itself out...
  • shearnerve
    shearnerve Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tandoori Chicken. Small amount over rice, small salad to start.
  • vivek85
    vivek85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Stick to South Indian vegetarian food, Light,healthy and not too much masala. Things like Idly,Dosa, Sambar, any indian fish dish. No Naan but rotti is good. Strictly no food court foods or 2 curry for $8.