Week 3 no loss...anyone else?

Options
I am curious as to how many of you during your journey have experienced a weight loss stall, or a week of no weight loss early on. I..as you may have guessed weighed in this morning on week 3 and no change. Although I am a little disappointed I realize that some weeks are better than others but it got me thinking...how many others have experience this early on?

If anyone is looking for support and motivation please add me ( I can also use it as well) :wink:

Replies

• s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am curious as to how many of you during your journey have experienced a weight loss stall, or a week of no weight loss early on. I..as you may have guessed weighed in this morning on week 3 and no change. Although I am a little disappointed I realize that some weeks are better than others but it got me thinking...how many others have experience this early on?

If anyone is looking for support and motivation please add me ( I can also use it as well) :wink:

Do you eat enough?
  • Susie0307
    Susie0307 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had some weeks early on that were little to no loss, maybe even a slight gain. Hang in there!! I'm a little frustrated now, after 6 months, having no real loss in 2 weeks. Looking for some tips here myself!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Everyone has weeks where they don't lose. I had 3 months once with no change. Just make sure your calorie goal is appropriate and that you're honestly and accurately logging, and then trust what you're doing and be patient.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    Both I and a mate had total stalls for several weeks last year but we both started loosing weight again (for no apparent reason) without changing what we were doing. Annoying when you're going through it but in the long run it's normally fine.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Week 3, and you're down 6 pounds? You're right on track. There's a very good chance that you will not see a loss every time you weigh in, but it will work out in the end, no worries. Just don't start cutting your calories waaay down in an attempt to "jump start" things, you'll just end up frustrated, and hungry.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Week 3, and you're down 6 pounds? You're right on track. There's a very good chance that you will not see a loss every time you weigh in, but it will work out in the end, no worries. Just don't start cutting your calories waaay down in an attempt to "jump start" things, you'll just end up frustrated, and hungry.

^^This
  • isabulle13
    Options
    Hi Domino!

I believe I am entering the "zone". From experience of getting back and giving up on losing weight, I have a "stall zone" weight. I am there now - I was steadily losing 1-2 lbs every week and now it's slowing down, and I know I'm getting to the point where it's "stuck". Every time this past year I would get discouraged, and I would lower my calorie intake (already set at 1200) for 2-3 weeks, workout more and longer, and then give up for a number that doesn't change, my body exhausted and starving. I usually don't eat my workout calories...

I am reading about upping your calories instead. Some days I am good with 1200, some other days I am starving and I am now considering I should just eat a little more when that happens, and just forget about the scale. Maybe also just weight once a month.

Do you work out a lot?

Good luck, keep going!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    It happens. No worries.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you're eating enough.

You need to figure out your BMR and TDEE. Your BMR is what you would be fed in a hospital, if you were in a coma, in order to just maintain essential body functions. If you're eating below that, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

When the engine in your car is out of petrol (I checked, you're in EN, it's petrol there), the engine stops. Calories are your petrol. If you want your body to work efficiently, you have to remain fueled up, right?

So, your TDEE is how many calories you're burning daily. If you eat at your TDEE, you don't lose, you don't gain. Miracle maintenance numbers.

Eating at a deficit of your TDEE is recommended. I shoot for 20% less than TDEE.

And keep in mind that it isn't necessarily linear. Just because you're eating at a deficit doesn't mean that the weight will come off on the same weekly schedule.
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am a slow loser and have weeks when the scale does not move. For me, I remember that my goal is better health & the weight loss is a bonus. Sometimes though if you change your exercise, go up or down 500 calories for a few days etc will give you a loss. Stay with it, it will come down.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This can be used in general but make sure you drink more water, at least 8 glasses a day is good.
    This has been able to knock people out of the 'zone' while others start losing weight after increasing their calories, you could simply be eating too little nutrients.

Hit that Protein and Fat minimum!
  • domino38
    domino38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks guys for all your help!!! I realize that it is a journey and that some weeks will be better than others. The first week I lost 5 pounds, the second 1.4. This week 0. So it wasn't what you would call a even weight loss each week. I know that the first week was mainly water weight .

I guess I was really just looking for the assurance that this does happen and can happen early on in your journey.

You guys are amazing! Thanks again!:wink:
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes. I went through a 2 week stall. Then I did a serious review of my nutrition/exercise log. I realized that I wasn't taking in nearly enough water. I computed my water requirements, bought a Brita water bottle that is always near, and the weight started coming off. But then it stalled a week later. This time I didn't wait so long. I reviewed my log and wondered if I was taking in enough protein. I researched that, found out that I was seriously protein deficient, so that I must be burning muscle for energy. That lowers metabolism. I increased my protein - which meant that I had to increase my calories by about 250 (up to about 1250) and I'm back in the weight-loss groove.
  • jniels1975
    jniels1975 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great! I am in the same boat, it stinks because this is the time when people tell me they notice a change but the scale stays the same and I am so hungry for more compliments (and treats). Let's stay with it and see, I bet we are getting too focused on the scale. I feel pretty good, look pretty good and I know I have been working hard, I bet you'd say the same!
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I went from Halloween until roughly December 24th with no change. No scale movement at all.

During the holidays I worked, so extra party type food and get togethers with calorie bomb comfort food did not happen. It is very frustrating.

Since Christmas I have went from 175 to 168. I upped my calories slightly. Added a lot more weights at the gym. Have had a few days of eat whatever. And also had days where due to life, I have literally been to busy to do more than grab multiple protein drinks as food for the day.

All I can say is hang tight, and ride out the storm.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Try a 2 month stall. My body got to 33lbs lost and just went "NOPE" and I stayed there for 8 weeks.
  • KRobertson36
    KRobertson36 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know when I started, I was riding a bike for an hour a day 5 days a week and I put weight on....I have come to realize some times when I switch up my activites I'm using different muscles and they will begin to build up and add weight. I have been told by more than 1 person to use measurments to see the differences in the loss of fat.

Hope this helps.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Its been like 4 months for me with no weight loss so don't feel bad. Just got to change the intensity of workouts to shock the body again.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    yea during week 3 I gained 2 pounds after having initially lost 3. Talk about frustrating. I figured to just keep going and sure enough the weight was off in another week.