Just a quick VENT

Options
There is no venting section on here...that's probably a good thing....

I'm gonna do it anyway :)

I am an amateur boxer, and a journalism student in my town decided to write an article on me. The local paper decided to print the story, and sent their photographer to get pictures of me at our practice today. I do not love attention. In fact, the opposite, I love being left alone for the most part - I'm friendly and everything, but just don't like a lot of attention focused on me. So this photographer spends the entire practice there taking pictures of me, he says to ignore him and just do what I normally would, so I do (but kindly tell him to let me know if he needs anything).

So after practice, he says, "well, I think there might be a good one in here" (his camera) and starts flipping through the pictures he took to show them to me - then he says, "the only really good one I got is this one..." and flips to a picture of a new guy (who actually started coming to the boxing gym after he stalked me at the gym I lift weights at). I know I shouldn't care, but GEE WIZ why don't you just call me ugly and get it over with! I KNOW I am not photogenic. I KNOW I am not beautiful, skinny, ripped, eye candy - I KNOW I am not a photographers ideal person. I know all of these things, I don't need him to tell me that.

End rant : /

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Don't take it personal. Perhaps he's just an awful photographer and you're too fast for him or his camera to get a clear shot.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Everyone is beautiful in their own, unique way, as cliched and cheesy as it might sound.
    In terms of physical beauty, I see nothing at all wrong with you, having looked at your profile photos.
    You look fine. And even physically, everyone has something that is beautiful about them.
    I wouldn't worry, the photographer was probably simply looking for something very specific. I doubt it came down to who was more physically attractive.
  • fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think you're crazy for putting yourself down! You ARE pretty and you DO have an amazing body!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Some random photographer didn't find you the hottest?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I KNOW I am not beautiful, skinny, ripped, eye candy

Um, isn't that you in your pictures? B/c you're beautiful, fit and ripped eye candy. I reserve the word skinny for people who need to gain weight, so I wouldn't call you skinny. Don't beat yourself up because he's a crappy photographer.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If that is you in the profile pic, you look amazing. Do not let this get you down. It is probably all about the photographer, not you.
  • KatelinIsArmyStrong
    Options
    I used to work with photographers. And they are *kitten*. to say the least. A lot of them live in this bubble, like, "My pictures don't look like I want them to, it's all your fault". Because a lot of them are perfectionist, so they assume if it's not perfect, it's not them, it's you. Which, we all know is bull****. I photographed a wedding one time, and my co-photographer got a shot at a bad angle, and I told him, "Hey, that doesn't flatter her at all" and he said, "It's her hips, not the camera". They're morons, ignore it. When they say things like that, it's because they know the picture didn't come out well, but they don't want to take the blame. They have one job, and that's to take a good photo. If they can't do that, then nobody will appreciate them.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    F him.
  • mumreeder
    mumreeder Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Your profile pic is amazing - wish my body looked like yours! He obviously is a totally rubbish photographer who couldn't get a good shot because you were moving too fast for his camera to keep up! Don't lose any sleep over it and certainly don't put yourself down - you have no reason to.
  • jlmarcin
    Options
    Don't take it personal. Perhaps he's just an awful photographer and you're too fast for him or his camera to get a clear shot.

What he said ^^ Plus, if he knows anything about writing a feature story (which if he said he is writing it about YOU), then he knows that he needs a picture of YOU to go with it and not some random guy. He's got a lot to learn about journalism. It's not you, it's him. Plus, if you were not fabulous and interesting he would not have approached you about the story in the first place!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Basically, if he couldn't get a good shot, it's his failure as a photographer and nothing to do with you.

Yes, I've worked with a number of professional photographers over the years, and they can be single minded jerks but it's no excuse for his behaviour.
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You're pretty so don't know what you mean :) maybe he came with an idea in his head already of what he wanted
    You look great, don't let an idiot upset you
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You ARE attractive. The photographer is ugly (on the inside if nothing else).
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    There is no venting section on here...that's probably a good thing....

I'm gonna do it anyway :)

I am an amateur boxer, and a journalism student in my town decided to write an article on me. The local paper decided to print the story, and sent their photographer to get pictures of me at our practice today. I do not love attention. In fact, the opposite, I love being left alone for the most part - I'm friendly and everything, but just don't like a lot of attention focused on me. So this photographer spends the entire practice there taking pictures of me, he says to ignore him and just do what I normally would, so I do (but kindly tell him to let me know if he needs anything).

So after practice, he says, "well, I think there might be a good one in here" (his camera) and starts flipping through the pictures he took to show them to me - then he says, "the only really good one I got is this one..." and flips to a picture of a new guy (who actually started coming to the boxing gym after he stalked me at the gym I lift weights at). I know I shouldn't care, but GEE WIZ why don't you just call me ugly and get it over with! I KNOW I am not photogenic. I KNOW I am not beautiful, skinny, ripped, eye candy - I KNOW I am not a photographers ideal person. I know all of these things, I don't need him to tell me that.

End rant : /

Here's the way I see it. You don't see yourself as beautiful, skinny, ripped, or eye candy, so you hear things that aren't really there. He didn't say you weren't any of those things. He said the lighting is bad in this one, and your glove is covering your face in this one, and your hair is doing this weird flippy thing that I don't like in this one.

He couldn't have meant you were anything less than gorgeous, because the simple fact is that you make beautiful, ripped, gorgeous girls feel self conscious about themselves.
  • KRobertson36
    KRobertson36 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else on this one....Your profile pic, you look amazing. Don't let anyone tell you what you are or are not, believe in yourself and refuse to put yourself down...I know that can be difficult, but it is possible.