What's more important to you?

Options
I always see people complaining on here about the scales not moving. So I ask this question, What's more important to you; the number on the scales, or the way you look in the mirror and the way you feel? If it's the number on the scale, then don't workout, don't lift weights and you can be skinny fat. If it's the way you look in the mirror, then lift weights and workout so you can be tone and fit. I wish people wouldn't get so obsessed over the number on the scales because when it doesn't move they get discouraged and give up. I'm one of those people, but I've changed my mindset and those devil scales do not control me anymore. That number is not what's important to me. I want to be strong, fit and healthy, not skinny fat. Also remember, muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is however more dense than fat and therefore 1 lb of muscle takes up less space than 1 lb of fat. One more thing lean muscle tissue burns more calories than fat, even when you are doing absolutely nothing. Just some thoughts I had this morning. Have a good day.

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hm. I want to be skinny. Damn straight I do. I also want to rock the bikini that I was always terrified to wear even when I was skinny. I want to look better at 32 (6 months away) than I did at 25.

Getting there and STAYING there requires putting health and fitness above simple dietary changes. Thus I do. Being stronger, fitter, all of that - it feels great. It gives me more confidence than I would have thought possible. I am surprised and amazed at how getting healthier has been changing my composition, not just the number on the scale. Continuing these behaviors even AFTER I've hit goal weight is going to be important.

But I ain't gonna be able to rock the look I want to if I'm overweight. So yeah, that number on the scale? Pretty damned important, too.
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I meant skinny fat.
  • crystal9999
    Options
    And there is a BIG difference in a 130 lb skinny fat person, and a 130 lb toned person. So, those numbers on the scale can be very deceiving was the point.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Touche and good point.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Love, love this post! I think there are way to many people on here obsessed with the scale. They weight everyday or log that they lost less than a pound... really? You can loose and gain up to 5 pounds in a day. I don't even own scales and probably weight myself 5 times in 10 year. I am more interested in the way you look in the mirror and the way you feel.
  • ChubbyMcFatpants
    ChubbyMcFatpants Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started going to the gym, the number on the scale stopped moving. AND I AM ECSTATIC!

I am so psyched about the numbers staying the same or even creeping up a bit, because I know I am working hard, I know I am sticking to my calorie goal, and I know muscle weighs more than fat. So I just assume I am losing fat, gaining lean muscle, and that's making my numbers settle. It's actually really encouraging.

Good post! A lot of people are way too fixated on the numbers, and are not paying any attention to what their body is saying!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Also remember, muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is however more dense than fat and therefore 1 lb of muscle takes up less space than 1 lb of fat.

doesn't that mean that muscle weighs more than fat?
  • crystal9999
    Options
    Absolutely, I had to finally come to the realization that I have to look at the big picture and not just the number on the scales.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Give me my tape measure, how I look & feel, and how my clothes fit over that silly scale any day.

I have been up and down with the same three pounds for over six months, but in that time I have lost fat and inches, and dropped a full pants size. :bigsmile: Who cares what the scale says?

Grab that measuring tape, take some photos - both are a better way to see your progress.
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Hi crystal9999,
    Great post :-) I agree with you
  • crystal9999
    Options
    Also remember, muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is however more dense than fat and therefore 1 lb of muscle takes up less space than 1 lb of fat.

1 lb of muscle equals 1 lb of fat, just like 1 lb of concrete equals 1 lb of feathers. It's just that the muscle and concrete take up less space.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    To be honest, neither. I don't care that much about my appearance or the scale. They are both just ways of measuring progress, but for me, the real motivation is my health. I want to feel strong and avoid diabetes.

The fact that working out and eating right makes me look better is icing on the cake. The real goal though is to be strong and healthy when I'm 80, and to feel good right now.

It's working... but it can be hard to tell at times how my progress is going. I just have to stick with the concept of eating well and working out and do it for years at a time. It took me about 2 years to lose 20lbs and a pant size, but the effort was worth it because I'm feeling more stable than I did before. It's a slow journey, but it's worth it.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

muscle takes up less space than fat.. you Can have more weight in muscle and have a Smaller body. That's Why many people believe muscle weighs More...
  • roadtripper23
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs in a matter of 6 months last year. The scale hasn't hardly moved since than, but I have been walking, doing pilates and yoga and eating right for the past year. Even though the scale hasn't moved I've gone down more than a dress size. For me it is all about feeling great and looking healthy and toned. I try not to be to concerned about the number on the scale, though I do watch it to make sure I don't go up since I've been battling the weight game for many years. Getting on once a week is important because it is easier to take off a two lbs gain than it is to take off a 10 lb weight gain.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

1 lb of muscle equals 1 lb of fat, just like 1 lb of concrete equals 1 lb of feathers. It's just that the muscle and concrete take up less space.

yes, i understand that, but the being more dense part means that muscle weighs more than fat. if you're going to compare 1 lb of anything to 1 lb of anything else of course they weigh the same. doesn't seem meaningful to say that.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Both. The scale is a partial marker of progress. I can usually tell when I'm thinner by looking in the mirror and all the people around me saying how much weight I've lost lol. Even though the scale didn't move at all the last month people who hadn't seen me in a month were like "oh you lost weight". wtf lol
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Numbers on the scale are just feed back for me. Nothing more. Of course I do not want the number to be large but that being said. I could really care less what the number is if I look good in my skinny jeans.

I do belive you need to be conscience of the scale but not obsessed with it.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    yeah.. i get what you're saying...but the scale has to move...because when you're overweight..you're overweight. If a woman weighs 200 pounds and is supposed to be 135..it is disheartening when the scale stops at 170...she doesn't want to weight that..

I also see people on here who look fit muscle wise..but you can tell they still need to lose the weight...they look defined but big.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Healthy - for me I just want to be healthy. I struggle constantly with that damn scale. I am a petite 5'1" and every lb shows. But for me I want to run a 10K (soon) and beat my 5K PR. I eat healthy and love wine (that is my not losing weight problem).

I so need to start strength training more and that is my 2013 goal. The scale can collect dust and I will watch my clothes fit better and my endurance improve.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    yeah.. i get what you're saying...but the scale has to move...because when you're overweight..you're overweight. If a woman weighs 200 pounds and is supposed to be 135..it is disheartening when the scale stops at 170...she doesn't want to weight that..

I also see people on here who look fit muscle wise..but you can tell they still need to lose the weight...they look defined but big.

Agreed. And not everyone wants muscle definition. I hate the term "skinny fat" because it comes off as kind of insulting. You're thin, overweight, or somewhere in between. But it doesn't make sense to look at someone who worked hard to get down to a healthy weight and say they're still "skinny fat" because they don't lift weights.