Best time to exercise??

Options
Hey every one! I was just wondering what time y'all exercise at?? i usually do it in the mid morning around 10. But was wondering if there was a better time to do it?? since i eat all my calories during the after noon. thanks for sharing (:

Replies

• fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I know fox news said something about that today suggested 1 hour after a meal. maybe 1 hour after lunch time
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I prefer morning workout :smile:
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I exercise at night personally. There are supposedly windows for "optimal" benefit but as long as your are working out consistently you'll get the benefits..
  • RevNimue
    RevNimue Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to work out at the end of the day as its a great stress reliever and helps me to relax at the end of the day, but that's just my personal preference. I have friends who like to start their day with a great workout as it energizes them to take on the day, some like to do it mid day. Whatever works best for you is what is best for you.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The best time is the time that you like to do it, and can do it consistently at.

The thing with diet and exercise research is that there's sooooo much out there about so many different things, it's nearly impossible to have an absolute like best.

If you like to exercise is the morning, there's a ton of research about fasted cardio, and fasted resistance training. If you like the night then there's some on intaking protein after you exercise and then sleeping causes the best repair and muscle growth.

The one absolute is that doing it, is better than not doing it. Find a time you enjoy exercising and stick with it. You'll be way ahead of the game.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like going when I have the most energy, which is typically around 10 am as well. Plus an early workout keeps me on track for the rest of the day, I tend to eat less because I know that I've already been successful working out. Gives me a boost of energy and makes me more positive for the rest of the day.
  • neh02
    neh02 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out earlier. I have a lot more stamina early on and usually want to keep going with my workouts when I do them early, compared to barely being able to finish them at all at night.

I work a pretty erratic schedule (food service) and if I don't work out BEFORE work, typically I won't work out at all. Plus, you feel good all day knowing your workout is behind you!
  • meesh045
    meesh045 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I always find that my attitude and desire to exercise is better midday onwards. If I exercise too late though I can't get to sleep lol! :-)
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the best time, but, I exercise after work/before dinner. It gives me the afternoon boost that I need after working all day so I can be somewhat coherent with my family (and stay awake until 8:30 lol). Good luck on your journey!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is when you have time to workout.

That said I can't work out at night as I have a hard time getting to sleep afterwards.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Get it in when you can fit it in. Time of day has no bearing on efficacy
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My 14 year old son who is on the football team told me the best time to exercise is after you wake up and before you eat because your testosterone is highest first thing in the morning. I reminded him that I'm a girl! He said he was talking about himself!!
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    What time do I workout? 5am

Best time to workout? Whenever you can get it done
  • shadowess3
    shadowess3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've just started working out in the mornings (around 9am) It's a bit of a hard sell for me (not a morning person) but I find it really helpful.
    1. It gets me out of bed, doing something, showered, and ready to start the day
    2. It gets the exercise out of the way, I'm very good a coming up with excuses not to do it. Getting in my workout in the morning allows me to just get it done and not have to worry about it for the rest of the day.
    3. It allows me to get to sleep better at night
    4. I read somewhere that exercising in the morning is better since it gets your metabolism going, and you can benefit from the after burn throughout the day. Called "excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC)"
    5. I also read (I think in Fat Wars) that your Human Growth Hormone is at it's highest when you sleep and so working out in the morning can capitalize on the higher concentration of HGH.

Again, the last two posts are just things I've read here and there, plus there is so much info out there that's it's hard to pick out what it legit or not.

Like others have said, it's best to find what time works best for you, your schedule and your body. Also it depends how you body (and mind) react to exercise. If you're someone who is sleepy after a workout then maybe doing it near the end of the day would be best. If you feel energized afterward, then maybe morning is best. If you are time limited then maybe during your lunch break. I think in the end it's all up to personal preference.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    For me it is first thing in the morning before breakfast - 6am.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Rght now.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    At night, between 9 and 10 for a few reasons, 1) i work days 2) if i eat more then i should, i can do more time to burn more calories. I am a jillian Michaels fan, i listen to just about everything she says or does, she once said, "don't matter what time you eat, our what time you exercise, as long as it's consistent". That's weekday i live by
  • I say that the best time to exercise is whenever you can. I like to workout in the morning (right around the 5-8 am time period) because that is when I am most motivated and ready to go. I think that a calorie burned is a calorie burned, it doesn't matter the time. :)