Why does MFP help?

Options
2»

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. Knowledge of what I'm eating gives me power over my weight. Simple as that.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The one thing that stands out to me is the "ability" to tweak the numbers if things aren't working. If you are on a fad diet and it doesn't work, you usually give up...and gain! There's no restrictions here so you keep it simple and make it work for you.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Accountability. I don't always input my calories, but frequently checking in keeps me in the mindset of reasonable eating and consistent activity.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    The logging is very quick and easy, as opposed to other sites I've tried.
    Also, when you're craving, you can visit success stories or try to help someone else who is struggling.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I think it's the anonymity at the beginning. I wouldn't tell my best mate how much I weighed or how unhappy I was, I definitely wouldn't show pictures and talk about weight (real weight). Here nobody judges you because they are all in the same boat and have been there done that. They know exactly how you feel and that makes it all seem more possible when you read the success stories.
    When I lose weight I get a humongous virtual hug from people and a high five.
    I feel great and also being such a huge site there is someone out there at any time of the day to talk to or bounce ideas off.
    The other thing I find is if I am reading inspiring stories on here and tapping out responses, I don't have any hands left to nibble and graze!
    I know this sounds daft but I truly believe this site has saved me from what could have been (gaining instead of losing) and thrown into this FREE program comes some amazing friends who have gone from virtual to real life!
    BIG UP MFP
    :flowerforyou:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It has helped me a lot. First I learned how many calories are in the foods I eat. Realized to manage portion control. And actually in that way I can eat healthy and have treats. Also I can eat more on many days than I even realized. I have developed a routine and healthy way of relating to food that allows me to get in all my protein and nutrition even when I am feeling a little blue (usually I would respond to the blues by not wanting to eat).

I have made friends and asked lots of questions about strength training, heavy weight lifting, and how to work with past injuries. Now, I have a great fitness routine that does not cause overuse injury.

Sometimes people share yummy or interesting recipe ideas.

It sure is nice to have an online community to talk about fitness with.

The community is great. I have even asked questions about hair care and where to buy jeans.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It works for me because I've discovered I can eat almost anything and lose if I stay within my limits. It isn't a diet where certain foods/food groups are eliminated or I have to eat meat replacements or anything like that. And I find my own progress to be motivating and there is a visual record of it on my ticker!

This.

Plus trolling. Lots of trolling
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Having an actual number for calories helps because without it you just "try to eat less" which consists of never eating as much as you really want to, and torturing/depriving yourself and still feeling like, or not really knowing whether, you "ate more than you should have" at any given meal or snack.

When you're counting calories, you know the foods that you are eating are not "bad" and you can enjoy eating every meal and snack for all that it's worth. You can sit down in front of a plate full of foods that you like and 'pig out' and know you're still going to get healthier in the process.
  • ktdidit78
    ktdidit78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the calorie tracker and being accountable to myself. I've only ever lost weight when counting calories. I'm an emotional/boredom overeater (I had to go to counseling to help deal with that issue) and MFP has helped me to say no to many needless snacks and to be aware of how much and what I am eating. It has also motivated me to exercise even more than I already was. I have also noticed that some of the pre-listed exercise calories burned are WAY higher than what you're really burning, so I track that myself and I rarely eat those calories burned. I've also fixed a lot of preset calories on some of the foods I use the most. I am also a baker and cook... Love to cook! So being able to put in a favorite family recipe, for me, is priceless.

I can't really say I like the "support system" on here though. Probably just because I don't need someone telling me I'm awesome when they don't even know me. I'm not one who's ever wanted cheerleaders, I suppose. (It works for some people, just not me.) I have a few of my real life friends on here and they are my support and I am theirs. And the forums are full of people who think they are experts on their own program and feel they need to tell everyone they're wrong if they don't follow THEIR plan. The simple truth of it is that when you're first starting out, you need to experiment with what works for your unique body - maybe you do need to cut down on dairy/cheese, maybe you do need to cut back on carbs (notice I didn't say cut OUT entirely??), but maybe you just need to eat healthy, nutritious foods that fuel your body and make thoughtful decisions. It has to work for YOU and YOUR lifestyle... not JoeSchmoe42, whom you've never met, who preaches the pink grapefruit diet in every single forum.

And that is not to say I don't appreciate all the HELPFUL tips people give out, I LOVE those... it's just the bullying and preaching I have a problem with. I have been absolutely inspired by many people on here to push my workouts, to try new foods, and to face this lifestyle change with hope and joy. And to those people I say: Thank you!! :flowerforyou: I have already decided that to celebrate my first 50 pounds lost, I'm going to start running. Normally I would never consider running unless a bear was after me (it happens in my neighborhood), but I can see so much good health and fitness coming from it.

My advice to many people is to 'invest' in yourself - the time for exercise that works for your body and lifestyle, the time to think ahead and prepare nourishing foods, and the education to understand how it all works together. If you haven't seen a nutritionist or a dietician, it might be something you should do to learn about what's healthy and what's not. And to learn from a real expert what's fact and what's fiction... because I've seen a LOT of fiction floating around in these forums.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Right now, my sole use for MFP is to keep track of weight gain during my pregnancy. I fully believe if I wasn't using MFP, I'd have gained 40 pounds or more during my pregnancy. I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant and I've only put on 12 pounds.
  • peacelovecandace
    Options
    Personally, I both like and dislike MFP. I love the idea that this is community of support centered around being "healthy". Now, as to why I put healthy in quotations. A lot of people think being healthy means restricting what they eat. Saying, "Well, I can have this greasy, fried food in moderation." It is encouraging people to eat whatever they want as long as they can stay under their daily calorie intake. Then those people wonder why 5 months later all that weight they lost has slowly crept back up on them. What MFP should be doing is teaching people to actually live a healthy lifestyle. Too many people on here are worried about being skinny rather than being healthy, and health should be their main objective! Being skinny does not mean being healthy. And eating a ton of crap while working out does not make you healthy either. So many people are just consuming calories left and right without caring what they are putting into their bodies. FOOD SHOULD BE FUEL. If you have a really nice car that you worked super hard to buy on your own, are you going to use the cheap gas on it? Or are you going to go premium so that your car will last longer and run better? The same goes for our body. We need to STOP TREATING OUR BODIES LIKE THEY'RE TRASH CANS! Being healthy is 60% nutrition, 20% cardio and 20% strength training. We should be eating less processed foods and more fruits/vegetables.

I guess in the end, I just wish MFP would truly encourage people to live a healthy lifestyle all around.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. It's really interesting to read of your experiences with the site. I feel as though I suddenly have a lot of supportive new friends.

^^^This is the number one reason I like MFP above other calorie trackers I've tried. I've gained a lot of positive, motivational friends and we push each other. Cheer successes, hug when needed, and kick butt when needed. ;)

EDIT: I've also gotten a lot of my close friends and family to join and there's something different about the interaction here regarding our weight loss goals. It's more beneficial and less likely to sound like criticism when we push each other here.