slimfast diet help

Options
Hi all, i need some help with my slimfast diet. Any others trying it too?

Replies

• NuBlossom
    Options
    I'm not going step-by-step anymore but it does work...for me at least.:smile:

What I do is use vitamin d milk instead of skim milk. I throw in a nice chunk of ice and blend it. I LOVE IT!!:heart::heart: The added ice makes the regular 8 oz almost twice as much, it taste better, and by putting it in a blender it eliminates that powdery taste.It is the perfect supplement for breakfast which I usually tend to skip.

I'm no longer on the 3-2-1 diet but I still replace two of my meals with a shake and sometimes just one meal. I hope this helps!!:wink:
  • Krissy60687
    Krissy60687 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im doing the slimfast 3 2 1 diet...but I use either equate weight loss shakes cuz theyre cheap, or special K (they curb my appetite much better)..but theyre the same calorie content as the slimfast shakes....the only exercise i get is walking a few miles at work every day...im going to try to start some good cardio workouts soon though. I've lost 12 lbs since January 1st when I started...Ive had several slip ups but not too bad. I dont feel its been very hard to stick to. My energy level is good (unlike when I tried Atkins a few years back) Most days I only hit around 1000 calories though, cuz I dont always eat the snacks..but then somedays I go over and hit 1300 to 1400 but thats the most Ive had since the beginning of the month..For three years I couldnt get under 203 lbs no matter how hard I tried but as of yesterday I am 198 :) So far so good. Good luck to you!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Here is my question: Will you continue to buy slim fast for the rest of your life and use it to replace meals? If not, why do it then? Isn't it smarter to learn how to eat correctly and exercise so you can sustain that lifestyle long term?
  • cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ive tried it before..never had any luck with the drinks satisfying my hunger..good luck to you though.
  • agatasz
    agatasz Posts: 21
    Options
    I will be trying Atkins diet (low carbs). Well excited! Had my first shake today and was great !! That is only 6 weeks diet but i know people who lost a lot of weight on it :)
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Here is my question: Will you continue to buy slim fast for the rest of your life and use it to replace meals? If not, why do it then? Isn't it smarter to learn how to eat correctly and exercise so you can sustain that lifestyle long term?

This.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I lost lots of weight using slimfast as a teenager. I lost muscle, gained stretch marks, learned nothing about healthy eating and triggered over a decade of yo-yo dieting and a binge eating disorder.

I've since gained several vocational qualifications in nutrition and weight management. My number one piece of advice would be to not use meal replacements or any diet not designed according to your individual needs.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i tried once and i was starving to death... i like the general calorie count diet much better.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You have to eat as many veggies as you can or you will start to constipate. Also your food portions will increase once you get off the slimfast because real food is more bulky. So if you do not eat large amounts of veggies and fruit - you will revert to carbs and starches once you get off slimfast.
    Slim fast also has nasty sweetners and bulking ingredients (swell up in your tummy to make you feel full).
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is full of carbs and sugars and not very much protein(which does a better job of satisfying hunger) The only time I use it is when I'm on the run and don't have time for breakfast (A tin has lasted me 14 months!)
    It's much better to follow a healthy balanced diet which you can track on here, teach yourself better habits that you can use for life :flowerforyou:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Why do people continue to use Slimfast? Let's practically starve ourselves for a couple weeks to lose 10 pounds and as soon as we get off of it, we'll gain 15 pounds back. Sounds like a good idea to me.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like the bottle shakes, but mainly as a way to add protein to my diet (I buy the ones that have 20gms/drink). I do not do meal replacement and usually have one WITH breakfast. They taste good, low carb and the sodium isn't that bad. It's a great way to jumpstart your weight loss journey, but it's much more important to learn HOW to lose weight and how to eat while you accomplish that.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not going to blame people for using it. The problem is we as a culture know nothing about proper nutrition and diet. We have been convinced that weight loss only happens when we eat minimal amounts of food short term. We have been trained to think "diets" are the way to go, if you want to lose weight, and taking a meal replacement will help that goal. Many of us are guilty of this line of thinking at one point in our lives, so I give these people a break. I just hope they can be enlightened to a better and more sustainable way.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight on Slimfast (and seems like most other diet plans out there) and look at me know, with 108 pounds to lose. None of them ever taught me to watch my own portion size and how much exercise I needed. You will probably lose weight but it's not going to be a long term solution for you. I have rebooted my way of thinking, and living, and have lost 7 pounds since Jan. 2nd. It's so much easier now with apps and websites to turn to and machines that calculate your calorie burn for you. Take it from me, someone who has yo-yo'd for 20 years, the best option is calorie counting (really easy here!) and exercising. I am just eating whole foods and home cooked meals (other than the salad from Qdoba's with daughter last night), no frozen meals, no protien shakes, not even any special K snacks. And I'm finding it to be pretty simple. It's more time consuming and takes some planning, but I'm realizing it's easier than I always made it out to be, I feel good about it, I'm less tired (down to one cup of coffee from 3) and I'm proud of myself for doing it this way. And my family is being forced to eat healther too!
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options

totally true ! Sometimes its handy before a workout or soon as getting home afterwards, having said that I wont buy any more!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I did it when first starting out. I did lose about 40 lbs with it. My case was different I think. I had just had major surgery that took out a portion of my stomach and things did not digest well for several months. My doctor said to try the shakes just to get nutrition in me without being in pain. I still use the shakes now and then.

I say short term is good. Long term...not so much.
  • stephelan
    Options
    She didn't ask to hear the downsides to the the Slimfast diet, she asked for help on the diet she was doing. Different things work for different people, no need to stomp on her parade. People who snipe topics like this is one of the reasons I left the MFP forums for a bit.

The Slimfast diet was actually what I used to jumpstart my weightloss. OBVIOUSLY I didn't stay on it for more than a month or two but I lost 20 pounds before I had the motivation I needed to kick it into eating right and working out.

Just make sure you have fruits and vegetables and healthy snacks in between the shakes! I did a shake for breakfast, snack, shake for lunch, snack and then a well-portioned healthy dinner. After a while, I exchanged the lunch shake for real food and then after even more time, got rid of the shakes all together. Worked for me! Have lost 80 pounds overall and owe my jumpstart to Slimfast.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You have to eat as many veggies as you can or you will start to constipate. Also your food portions will increase once you get off the slimfast because real food is more bulky. So if you do not eat large amounts of veggies and fruit - you will revert to carbs and starches once you get off slimfast.
    Slim fast also has nasty sweetners and bulking ingredients (swell up in your tummy to make you feel full).

Constipation is not the problem most people have with Slimfast- a lot of people get the runs!
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Constipation is not the problem most people have with Slimfast- a lot of people get the runs!

Diarrhoea can be a problem with slimfast if you make the shakes using the powder and milk. I was on it for a time but the bloating and tummy gurgling just became a bit much for me. I actually found that I lost the exact amount of weight as eating vegetables, healthy fish and fruit as being strictly on the Slimfast diet. However everyone is different and some people experience no side effects at all.

I'd say slimfast is definitely only short term and should just be used to used to kickstart your weightloss.Otherwise for sustainable lifestyle change,I would go with other people's advice and say focus on eating nutritionally well balanced meals.

Good luck
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am like many others on here. I use it when I am in a crunch. I have a 6 pack of slim-fast chocolate shakes, of which 4 are still left and I have had that pack for about 3 weeks. Why? Because I use it when I am too tired in the morning to make breakfast (I work nights, 12 hr shifts). That is the only time I do slim-fast shakes. I prefer to make my own shakes.

I usally do a breakfast shake in the evening when I go to work (coffee+milk+protien powder+oatmeal) and it tastes a whole lot better than the slim-fast and it keeps me fuller longer. ]

Do yourself a favor and take the time to learn healthy eating habits. You will be a lot more likely to keep the pounds off than if you did the slim-fast diet. I doubt you plan on drinking slim-fast at breakfast and lunch every day for the rest of your life. Get out of the fad-diet and into a lifestyle change. It might take you a few months longer to get there, but in the end it will be a lot more self-satisfying.