In order to avoid disappointment

Options
I think I'm going to weigh myself once a month. haha

How often do you weigh yourself?

Replies

• bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Once a week is best. At the same time of the day, same day of the week, same scales.

Once a month is fine but you need the motivation of regular weigh ins
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    Officially? Twice a week, ish. I like a Saturday a.m. Check in, and one of the groups I'm in weighs on Tuesdays... But I'll jump on the scale in between if I feel skinny :). And I check my perception in the mirror every day.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    I don't weigh at all. I care about inches and how my clothes fit.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Once a month can work. You can keep track of your measurements, of how your clothes feel, to let you know in the meantime. Lots of members have had long-term success with once a month weigh ins. I'm a little varied on how many times I weigh. I sometimes go a week. Sometimes I go two weeks. Over the holidays, I weighed every three days. Just find where your comfortable and go from there!
  • browneyes97
    Options
    Officially, once a week. But I do occasionally jump on the scale a morning or 2 a week. You weigh less in the morning:)
  • Leanalgreen
    Leanalgreen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Twice a week works best for me. If you're trying to lose weight it's best to have set goals for the week. Most usually go with two pounds. So I'll weigh myself once in the beginning of the week to see where I'm at and then I'll weigh myself again in the middle. If I'm reaching my goal it motivates me to keep working hard and if I'm not at the goal yet I still have half the week to kick it up a notch.

If you do it once a month you may avoid being disappointed throughout, but you may be knocked right out of the game if you weigh in at month's end and find out you've lost nothing. The disappointment at wasting a month would be huge. If nothing else go with once a week so you can track your progress.

And as everyone else has said the scale is definitely not as important as inches.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I think once month would probably be ideal - you should stick with changes at least that long to see results, you wouldn't be concerned with fluctuations.
  • grodi01
    Options
    I have been trying to wait for 2 weeks to go by before weighing in. I find I have a bigger weight loss to report. I had to move my scales out of my bathroom and into a different area of the house so I wouldn't be tempted to weigh myself daily or sometimes MORE!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I weigh once every 2-3 weeks on the shipping scale at work, I don't like to be disappointed either!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Once a week is best. At the same time of the day, same day of the week, same scales.

Once a month is fine but you need the motivation of regular weigh ins

That's actually a really huge assumption. If you had said " I need the motivation of regular weigh ins," it would have been true.

OP, I weigh once a week because it's what works for me. There is no "best," but it should be no more than once per week if you don't want to get distracted by daily water weight changes.

ETA: I have found that as I continue consistently with my lifestyle, I have a lesser need for the motivation of the scale, and I am actually considering moving to monthly weigh-ins as well. Do what works for you.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh every morning before food and after the loo. It keeps me motivated.
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to track intake/cal burn. I'm not worried about the numbers emotionally, just mathematically.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Officially once a month... and for 2013 also take progress pics on the first of every month... If I'm feeling good about how my body is looking though sometimes I'll hop on more... never more than once a week though.
  • jennifersue88
    Options
    2 times a month
  • grodi01
    Options
    I am very disappointed this morning. I have been TRYING to weigh myself every 2 weeks. Got on scale Sat. to see a 1 pd. weight loss. Not happy about that but life goes on. I have been tracking my food daily staying around 1200 calories. I have been exercising 4 times a week. Cardio and weights. I am 47 yrs old. I have been doing this "diet" since Jan. 1st, logging myfitnesspal since 1/4. I am willing to wait it out and keep doing what I'm doing but if anyone has and advise for me....I'll gladly take it! Thanks for the support!