C25k, 30DS, and weights

Options
Hi.

(Note: I'm pretty sure my diary is open.)

I'm on W6D1 for c25k, Day 6 of 30DS, and I've introduced the weight machines into my workout week.
I had to take a day off of the 30DS(now 2 days) and I had two days off of c25k and found I could hardly run as well as I did two days ago when I did W6D1 the first time.

I *know* I'm not eating much. It's not that I'm not trying to eat, it's just that I don't have time! I use my lunch hour to run/workout, and sometimes I have time to grab a pita before lunch, sometimes after. But lately, ... Not so much.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question: Am I biting off more than I can chew?

What's your advice? I want to keep running, but I want the strength too to use the muscles I already have and no not lose any more lean mass. I'm hovering 185lbs with 63.5lbs of body fat. As my life is hectic, I like the idea of big burns in small times. However, I am a realist and more than willing to work for the body I want. Is 30DS enough of a strength cross train for me? Or just push through the exhaustion?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nope, can't see your diary. :wink:

If you don't have time to eat, then you will end up sabotaging your workout efforts due to lack of fuel. You already noticed a difference in your performance and mentioned exhaustion from all the workouts - not eating isn't going to help that at all, and will slow any weight loss.

Are you doing c25k and 30DS in the same day? Are you taking any rest days during the week?

I don't have a lot to go on since I'm not sure of your schedule or exactly what you are (or aren't) eating, but if you are trying to do all or even two of these workouts in the same day, I'd back off. Alternate days of c25k and 30DS (or skip the Shred and do the machines, whichever you like better or have time for), and make sure you are taking AT LEAST one full rest day. The body needs time to rest, and muscles repair and grow during that down time.

And food is very important, even more that the exercise, really. You can lose weight on how you eat - sure, adding exercise is better, but if you don't have the time and sacrifice nutrition to push through another workout, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Hope that helps!

Great read here on overtraining and under-eating: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

Not saying necessarily that you are overtraining, but if you don't have time to eat, you could end up with similar problems.
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it would help more if we knew your schedule was like? How many times a week are you doing C25K and strength training?

I'm currently doing 30DS as well, and I'm doing a 10K trainer as well. I do 30DS everyday, but the 10K trainer 3x/week, and add in maybe one or two extra strength training sessions (only 20-30 min) a week.

Don't over due your workouts! Make sure you find rest...over exercising is never a good thing. Your body needs to rest & recoup. Also, like the above poster mentioned, make sure you are getting enough to eat! Your body needs the proper nutrition & fuel those workouts you're doing.
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ... I do everything everyday. Or try to. Today I did c25k and weights, but Tuesday I did c25k, Shred, and weights. I'll try to open my diary
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There, I opened it. Sorry!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    ... I do everything everyday. Or try to. Today I did c25k and weights, but Tuesday I did c25k, Shred, and weights. I'll try to open my diary
    Yep, I can see your diary now - you definitely aren't eating enough, and I would say even without your busy work schedule, you are working out too much. The c25k program is not meant to be done daily - it's designed for 3 days a week, which helps prevent injury.

Heck, I logged my 500th straight day at MFP yesterday (I think it was yesterday), I'm about a pound away from my goal weight, and I don't even work out as much as you do! :tongue: I completed c25k last year, and I still run 3 days a week, and do strength the other 3, and always take at least one day off - sometimes two days if I feel I need it, or if I'm just busy.

Pick one a day - alternating c25k and either of the weights programs should be sufficient, especially if you eat well. And by well, I mean meet your calorie goal - there are days in your diary where your net cals for the day were probably less than 500. No bueno! :noway: Food is fuel - you can't expect your body to function well when you're pushing it so hard and barely giving it any fuel. Eat too little and you're just giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Have a read through this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Brilliant info there, with links to tools to help determine what you should be eating, and how to set your calorie goal and macros for fat loss. I've been following it for months, I eat 1800+ calories a day, with the workout schedule I mentioned. Fat is coming off, muscle is showing through (see my arms & shoulders in my profile pic? 3 days a week! with dumbbells!).

You don't have to workout like a mad-woman and eat like a bird to lose weight - in fact you likely won't lose the weight, and certainly won't end up with the body you want, if you stay on the path you're on. Back off the workouts, get your nutrition - you'll feel better and your body will thank you! :bigsmile:
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump.