Acorn Squash Recipes

Options
PRMinx
PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
Hey all! I just picked up some great acorn squash from the farm yesterday and can't wait to eat it. Normally, I would bake it with brown sugar and butter, and that will fit into my calories for today, but I thought I'd see how you all like to prepare it. Recipes anyone?

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I do it the way you do, with brown sugar :) I'm making it tonight with my dinner.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just got this in my email a few days ago...I have yet to try it, but it sounds delicious.

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Ingredients:

1 medium acorn squash
    1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
    ½ cup uncooked quinoa
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    ½ medium onion, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    ½ large bell pepper (preferably red), chopped
    1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
    1 cup fresh spinach
    ¼ cup raisins
    2 ¼ teaspoons cumin
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
    2. Cut squash in half, remove pulp, place squash face down on a large baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes or until done. Squash should be tender all the way through.
    3. In the meantime, in a medium saucepan, add the broth and quinoa, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cover. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes.
    4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic, onions, carrot and bell peppers. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.
    5. Add garbanzo beans, raisins, spinach, cumin and salt to the mix and continue cooking for a few minutes.
    6. Add the quinoa to the skillet, stir well and remove from heat.
    7. Once the squash is done cooking, remove from oven. Evenly spread the butter over the entire inner squash and sprinkle with the brown sugar. You can break the squash up a bit with a fork so that the butter and sugar are spread more evenly throughout.
    8. Stuff each half of the squash with half of the quinoa stuffing mixture and serve

Serving = 1/4 squash stuffed. makes 4 servings

Obviously your totals will be different depending on the ingredients you use, but here is what was in the email so you have a general idea of nutrition:

Calories: 367; Fat: 11.3g; Sat Fat: 2.1g; Carbs: 64g; Fiber: 7.7g; Sugars: 19.7g; Protein 8.1g
    Vitamin A: 98.7%; Vitamin C: 68.8%; Calcium: 9.2%; Iron: 23.9%
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm no help. I like it with butter and brown sugar too! :laugh: Last night I had that, with a teeny bit of cinnamon, mmmm.

Besides that I've done roasted acorn squash wedges: Cut squash in to 8 wedges, skin on. Coat with olive oil, roast at 425 for 20 minutes then baste the squash with a melted butter/brown sugar and *rosemary* sauce. Continue roasting until squash is cooked through, golden and delicious looking.

I've also added cubed acorn squash (skin on) to a tray of other winter veggies (carrots, new potatoes, sweet potatoes) and roasted those.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Great recipes. I'm definitely going to save both of these. I may be too lazy tonight to execute, but I love these recipes for a lazy weekend. I bet they make the house smell great, too.

ShmoozyQ - I wouldn't have thought to put rosemary in the butter/brown sugar mixture but now that you mention it, that sounds fantastic.
  • cbuggin22
    cbuggin22 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump