Fast heart rate & calories burned

Options
So I'm pretty out of shape. Even just walking at 3.3 mph with a 1% incline my heart rate gets up to 150 BPM max. How am I supposed to keep my heart rate in my target heart rate zone if by just walking, it goes above it? Also, if I stay in my target heart rate zone, it doesn't feel like i'm doing anything.

As for calories burned, my heart rate monitor says I burned 614 KC by exercising at 3.3mph for 35 minutes, but MFP says I burned 235 or so. Which value do I trust?

Thanks

Replies

• deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing a HRM with a chest strap that you entered you r(age, sex, weight) data, then I would say that is more accurate than the treadmill. If you entered your weight that will make a difference in what it gives you credit for.

Now as for the zone, are you working out in a fat burning zone? I like to feel that my cardio is challenging me. There's a lot of good information out there about the different types of cardio you could be doing. Different training will yield different results.

If you have time later you could go check this site out. There's a lot of information that is good to know.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    So I'm pretty out of shape. Even just walking at 3.3 mph with a 1% incline my heart rate gets up to 150 BPM max. How am I supposed to keep my heart rate in my target heart rate zone if by just walking, it goes above it? Also, if I stay in my target heart rate zone, it doesn't feel like i'm doing anything.

As for calories burned, my heart rate monitor says I burned 614 KC by exercising at 3.3mph for 35 minutes, but MFP says I burned 235 or so. Which value do I trust?

Thanks

The best thing to do would be to see a doctor and get a stress test. When I started using a heart rate monitor I was alarmed because my heart rate was off the charts when I exerted myself and when I stayed in what the "fat-burning zone" I couldn't break a sweat. It turns out that women often have higher heart rates because they have smaller hearts. My heart rate also recovered very quickly after I stopped, which was a good sign. I ultimately had a stress test, which was normal. I've never been overweight; I'm not sure that a heavier person should just push himself if he has doubts. Maybe you could do a combination of endurance cardio, like walking, and HIIT.

I ignore all calorie estimates on exercise equipment and HRMs. They're usually not accurate. Besides, I look to calorie reduction for most weight loss. If you're creating a good calorie deficit and working out consistently, you'll lose weight.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Perspective might help me some here, but I have no idea what 150 bpm is in correlation for a max heart rate. I do one that has me put in my resting rate and uses a forumula based on my age.

http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm

It's slightly different for zones.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    As you indicated, your heartrate is high walking because your aerobic fitness is poor. You are doing the right thing to improve it. For right now I wouldn't be overly concerned with the heartrate. It will come down as your fitness improves. For the long term, the best way to improve aerobic fitness is to exercise for long durations at around 75% max heartrate. For you, this would be around 157 bpm. Right now you are there walking. Pretty soon you will have to run to get your heartrate that high.

Aerobic condition improves slowly but it can continue to improve for years. Because of the specific physiological changes induced by the exercise you should see some improvement every 3 to 6 weeks. The more you exercise within your current capacity the faster improvements will occur.

Just to give you some idea of what kind of improvements can occur with dedicated and correct training, I am 53 years old and have been doing a lot of running for 2 years. Right now when walking outside at around 3 mph my heartrate is usually between 60 and 65. That is lower than my resting heartrate was when I started.

So, you're doing great. Keep it up and the improvements will come.
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Denise, I am wearing a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. After reading your post, I got to thinking how my heart rate monitor determined my target heart rate zone. After investigating further, I noticed that I set my target heart rate zone, not the watch. I bought this HRM about four years ago and haven't touched the target heart rate zone since, so maybe that's why I'm not feeling anything in it.

I will parouse those links you sent and use them to set my target heart rate zone. Thank you.

Copine, I have had a stress test. I had one about a year ago and the cardiologist was not worried about my results at all. In fact, he seemed kind of perturbed that I was even requesting a stress test :P

614 KC seems like kind of a lot for 35 minutes though, don't you think? I'm 6'5" and 323 lbs, by the way, if that helps put anything in perspective.

Thank you both.
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information and encouragement Scott. That's amazing that your heart rate is so low.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Denise, I am wearing a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. After reading your post, I got to thinking how my heart rate monitor determined my target heart rate zone. After investigating further, I noticed that I set my target heart rate zone, not the watch. I bought this HRM about four years ago and haven't touched the target heart rate zone since, so maybe that's why I'm not feeling anything in it.

I will parouse those links you sent and use them to set my target heart rate zone. Thank you.

Copine, I have had a stress test. I had one about a year ago and the cardiologist was not worried about my results at all. In fact, he seemed kind of perturbed that I was even requesting a stress test :P

614 KC seems like kind of a lot for 35 minutes though, don't you think? I'm 6'5" and 323 lbs, by the way, if that helps put anything in perspective.

Thank you both.

I'm glad to hear that you have no underlying heart condition. Maybe you just have a faster-than-normal heart rate. Perhaps as you lose weight and become more conditioned your heart rate will decrease. BTW, you will get a benefit from staying in the fat burning zone only if you have a VERY long exercise session. Google an explanation of the difference between the exercise zones.

The benefit of a heart rate monitor is that you will learn what is normal for you.