Are body fat scales at all accurate?

Options
My new scale says I'm 34.7% body fat. I'm currently 118.4 lbs and just under 5'0 (151.5cm).

I understand that this is considered obese, but I don't really look obese. I can see my upper abs and I wear pretty small sizes in clothing. Online body fat calculators put me at around 26-27% body fat, which makes much more sense.

The reason I'm concerned about this is that this makes a big difference in my TDEE and my BMR. If I am 34.7% body fat according to a couple formulas that account for body fat % in calculations my BMR is much lower than I thought it was based on 27% body fat (1150-is vs around 1300-is) and so is my TDEE.

Replies

• pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump...anyone??
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about body fat scales as I've never owned one but I find it very hard to believe that at a weight of 118.4, even if you are under 5'0", that you would have 34.7% body fat.

My recommendation would be to get a pair of calipers and see how those work for you!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust an electronic scale to determine BF%.
  • yobeme
    yobeme Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would like to know which one is more accurate (scales or calculators) as well.
    I'm the opposite - calculators say 31% and a set of scales measured me at 25.5%. I'm not sure which to believe. It's a big difference.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    In my experience... way inaccurate. Mine says 25%.

Uh, nope.
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    Short answer: no.

Longer answer: No, because a variety of different factors can influence the scale's body fat measurement, including whether or not you drank/ate something recently etc. You can't trust those things at all.
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    They're hideously inaccurate, how well hydrated you are at the time makes a significant difference to the result displayed.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    They are probably okay for tracking gains and losses. They aren't all that accurate. I over heard a trainer tell a guy the handheld device is within 2%. I figured it was within 5%. If you must know, a Dexascan is probably the most cost effect and accurate method, but still it could be off 5% as well. My handheld says 12%, Last time I checked, the military method figured 17%.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    They're hideously inaccurate, how well hydrated you are at the time makes a significant difference to the result displayed.

If you use them at the same time each time under the same situation they will be more accurate. First thing in the morning after taking care of your business is the recommend method for the hand held device.
  • devastation77
    Options

I saw a YouTube video once where a dude said they can be thrown off by having a glass of water.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you use them at the same time each time under the same situation they will be more accurate.

Not if it's wrong to start with. It will just be more consistently wrong.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They are very inaccurate. I did a write up here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have an Omron BF%-measuring scale. I know it's notoriously inaccurate, as the electrical impedance current it uses to determine your BF% goes through your feet...and never gets past your lower body. If most of your extra fat is in your lower body, it will read high. In my case, it reads about 5 percentage points higher than calculators or my mirror tell me. I use it to track the (downward) trend of my progress. The absolute accuracy doesn't matter as much if you just want to measure your progress.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Not at all, those things are terrible with being accurate and reliable. Either calipers or a water displacement test are the most accurate, I think.
  • ma_oeuvre
    ma_oeuvre Posts: 123
    Options
    I tried one once and it gave me an astonishingly low BF% and BMI. When I checked it properly, it had me down as 7' 4''.

I wasn't even wearing heels.

(And I am so not 7' 4''.)
  • ma_oeuvre
    ma_oeuvre Posts: 123
    Options
  • squashyhelen
    squashyhelen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Actually, the Omrons are the worst. I had an Omron as well and it put me at 29.9% body fat. The gym's handheld one put me at 21.4% and my new EatSmart Precision scale put me at 20%. I think the gym's is more likely to be accurate (give or take a few). Probably you can assume that you can subjct 6-10% from the Omron number. :D
  • NormalizeJac
    Options
    Mine actually gives me the same reading as the handheld device used at my company's health fair and the online calculators that I've used. AND it went up proportionally when I gained a few pounds too and has been very consistent. As long as I weigh in the morning after using the bathroom and I'm not dehydrated then it seems to be accurate for me. I think I have the Ozeri band.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Actually, the Omrons are the worst. I had an Omron as well and it put me at 29.9% body fat. The gym's handheld one put me at 21.4% and my new EatSmart Precision scale put me at 20%. I think the gym's is more likely to be accurate (give or take a few). Probably you can assume that you can subjct 6-10% from the Omron number. :D

I have an Omron...lol..

If I subtract 6-10% (say 8%) I would be close to what the online calculators that ask for measurements calculate. Around 26%. Which makes much more sense. I just invested in a $6 set of calipers so I'll see what that calculation gives me, and go from there.

I knew I'd let things get out of had with my weight, but I was pretty shocked when that scale said I was actually obese. I mean I still wear a size 2.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    My scale's BF measurement varies up to about 12% any given day, saying I have 32-44% BF, while online calculators put me at 25%, and visually I appear about 25-30%. So yeah, I'd wager they aren't very accurately (or mine at least). I'm probably going to buy a pair of calipers soon.