Need to work on my arms...

Options
I love doing cardio and working my lower body, but when it comes to arms...pfft I am weak..! Any tips/suggestions to build strength and get toned/defined arms?? What has worked for you?

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Start lifting, and if regular pushups are an issue, wall pushups are a bit easier.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Knee push ups are what I started with.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    To get good as pushups, you have to do them. It's like anything else you want to get good at...............practice and repetition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LupitaWins12
    Options
    To get good as pushups, you have to do them. It's like anything else you want to get good at...............practice and repetition.

IDEA Fitness member

Indeed...but not only do I want to do a push up, I want to tone my arms. Any suggestions??
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Indeed...but not only do I want to do a push up, I want to tone my arms. Any suggestions??
    Hand position, foot elevation, etc. can leverage a push up to make it harder. Once you master the standard pushup, try the harder ones. And trust me, if you get good at doing pushups, muscle tone in your arms will be fine.

IDEA Fitness member
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Push ups
    Planks
    Using light weights at the gym, 3/4ks bicep curls, tricep dips etc? If you want to tone use light weights I've been told otherwise you're building muscle and ur arms will get bigger. Small weights, lots of reps
  • quiltingmamma
    Options
    I have two knee replacements so push ups are something I can not do. Any other suggestions to work the flabby arms?
  • LupitaWins12
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Hand position, foot elevation, etc. can leverage a push up to make it harder. Once you master the standard pushup, try the harder ones. And trust me, if you get good at doing pushups, muscle tone in your arms will be fine.

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you!! :-)
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Close grip pull ups.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Push ups
    Planks
    Using light weights at the gym, 3/4ks bicep curls, tricep dips etc? If you want to tone use light weights I've been told otherwise you're building muscle and ur arms will get bigger. Small weights, lots of reps

I think you may need to do a bit of research. Thinking has moved on a bit since women were told to only use light weights and lots of reps to 'tone'. To the OP. Get some heavy *kitten* weights and start lifting them girl! Shoulder press, bench, dead lift. All big moves will help tone not just your arms but the rest of your body at the same time. Winner!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I love doing cardio and working my lower body, but when it comes to arms...pfft I am weak..! Any tips/suggestions to build strength and get toned/defined arms?? What has worked for you?

Dumbbell or bodybar exercises for shoulders and arms (overhead lifts, pull ups, rows, flies, curls, pullovers);
    Gym bench or other stable surface (triceps dips);
    Bodyweight (pushups against wall, on knees, or regular).

Using weights for a while can help with the bodyweight exercises if you're weak.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have two knee replacements so push ups are something I can not do. Any other suggestions to work the flabby arms?

Normally, I'm not a big fan of gym machines for arm exercises, but in your case they might be a good idea as they would provide support while sitting.
  • LupitaWins12
    Options
    Awesome tips! Thank you!
  • LupitaWins12
    Options
    Push ups
    Planks

I think you may need to do a bit of research. Thinking has moved on a bit since women were told to only use light weights and lots of reps to 'tone'. To the OP. Get some heavy *kitten* weights and start lifting them girl! Shoulder press, bench, dead lift. All big moves will help tone not just your arms but the rest of your body at the same time. Winner!!

Thanks girly, but I won't bulk up right??
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Push ups
    Planks

wrong :/
    heavy lifting with few reps (as heavy as you can go for 5 reps, etc) is great for strengthening muscles and the central nervous system, and will NOT bulk you up. in fact, hypertrophy is more often seen in great rep ranges ie 8-15

OP, as a woman, you will not bulk up. I promise. You'd have to maintain an extremely high protein, calorie surplus AND follow a heavy weight lifting routine, and then it would still take months to see a difference. You simply don't have the testosterone and calories to bulk up. Heavy weight lifting in women on calorie deficits encourages strength, healthier bones, and holding onto muscle tissue when your diet would normally eat it away and cause flabbiness.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Push ups
    Planks

No chance, it's not something that happens by accident. I'm trying my damn hardest to grow and it's hard as hell! It takes real effort as a girly to put on enough muscle to get anywhere near what people would consider 'bulky'. Don't listen to outdated advice. To tone those arms you need to lift weight that really challenges your muscles.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have recently rehabilitated from a neck and shoulder weakness/injury. I find that doing the prescribed excerises is making a difference. Basically I am doing front and side raises , which the physio precribed, and have added shoulder presses and bicep curls. These sorts of exercises seem a good starting point. SStart with a weight you can lift easily, and keep adding more as you get stronger.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Push ups
    Planks
    Small weights with lots of reps build muscle endurance and NOT muscle tone. Whomever is telling you this needs to be updated on actual kinesiology, and muscle hypertrophy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LupitaWins12
    Options
    Push ups
    Planks

No chance, it's not something that happens by accident. I'm trying my damn hardest to grow and it's hard as hell! It takes real effort as a girly to put on enough muscle to get anywhere near what people would consider 'bulky'. Don't listen to outdated advice. To tone those arms you need to lift weight that really challenges your muscles.

So true...lets do this!!! Thanks again