Anyone into CrossFit?

Options
I did CrossFit last year for three months before my husband returned, hurt (non combat related, broke his ankle enough he needed surgery stateside), from Afghanistan. I lost 20 lbs. doing CrossFit combined with Paleo.
I let myself go once my husband came home and gained all my hard work! I am so disgusted. But I have the form and know how to perform CrossFit and I journal-ed my results. Thus, I have quite a selection of different work outs, and finding resources at home to use, I started to put together CrossFit exercises. I do it every other day, as it is quite intensive. I do notice it is easier to get back into, since I have done it before. On the days I don't CrossFit I do a Yoga DVD, to stretch my sore muscles.
Once I am back to my last required weigh in (199 lbs) I will go back to the gym on base with my trainer, haha.
Just feel out of shape, and ashamed I let myself go, so I have a goal to work towards now!
Wondering if there are any other CrossFit enthusiasts out there?
I copy my journal into my blog. By the way!

Replies

• Marianke
    Options
    *Bump*
  • mauiwalker
    Options
    Hi, I Crossfit 5 times a week, although at a slightly modified rate. I've been doing this for seriously for about a year, and have lost 40 so far, now I'm 184 and want to drop 40-45 lbs. New to the program here and can't seem to find any workout stats on calories burned in the activity list. Have you seen anything worth while? Thanks
  • Marianke
    Options
    They say that an intensive workout burns on average 97 calories burned for 10 minutes. Usually my workout lasts 60 minutes to 75 minutes. I just made my own exercise and calculated 6x97 calories. It is really hard to calculate calories burned for CrossFit, because of the variation of the exercise by day, so I go off of an average and add that. Sometimes it may be a little more, sometimes a little less.
    I don't know if since I created this exercise if it is available to the community now to enter, so if you enter it, it actually may be in there! :)
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been doing crossfit about 9mos (last 6 mos. at Rx). I agree there doesn't seem to be a good way to track it. I use 30-45min of "calisthenics". That seems to be pretty close for me. Marianke...an hour long crossfit workout? That is super long in my experience. Most WODs are in the 7-20min range with hero WODs pushing up into the 30-40. At my box we do warm-up followed by technique training, the WOD, and then the "cash-out" and the whole thing is an hour. Wow...that is a lot of volume.

I don't really think I've lost much weight at all with crossfit but my body comp has changed considerably. I'm leaner, faster, stronger, etc. I'm getting more serious about paleo and eliminating more grain and dairy. Since I started that with the new year I'm down about 5lbs.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am not a fan of Crossfit. It is very expensive, and the exercise routines are too extreme for most people.

While it's true they can "scale down" the workout, who wants to be in a gym where the majority of participants are mancho tough guys, and you are just wanting to get in a reasonable workout? Crossfit would make most people feel like a first grader trying to compete with college kids. Because of the extreme nature of the workouts, Crossfit participants tend to have more injuries than people involved with more reasonable workout programs. And if you get injured, your exercise options will be very limited until you heal.

For the vast majority of the population that wants to get fit, there are much better options out there than Crossift. Check out thee YMCA and other local gyms that offer group classes and personal trainers.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I power lifted for 12 years and quit for 10. Lost 50 pounds in 4 months when I started back. Now I am doing both crossfit and powerlifting. People who haven't done crossfit don't really know what the truth is. As for injuries I haven't gotten any yet. Most of the stuff is doing what you can do and it will get better. They are not all macho athletes, people from all walks of life go to mine. We are all supportive of each other too.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Believe me, most Crossfit boxes/gyms ARE extreme and overpriced. If the one you go to isn't, you just happen to be lucky.

But if anyone is thinking about trying Crossfit, make sure they don't make you commit a lot of money until you have a chance to find out what it's really all about -- something most people don't realize until they've already sunk a lot of money into outrageous Crossfit membership fees.
  • Marianke
    Options
    Believe me, most Crossfit boxes/gyms ARE extreme and overpriced. If the one you go to isn't, you just happen to be lucky.

But if anyone is thinking about trying Crossfit, make sure they don't make you commit a lot of money until you have a chance to find out what it's really all about -- something most people don't realize until they've already sunk a lot of money into outrageous Crossfit membership fees.

Yea, you are right, I am lucky. My husband is Active Duty Military, and we have access to the on base gyms, and will have access even after he retired in 4 years, as he retires the full 20. The one on the Air force side and the one on the Army side. I go to the Army side, as it is closer. It is free to military, military dependents and government workers, no membership fees. CrossFit is also free. We have two CrossFit trainers and they give CrossFit by appointment and one has walk in hours between 11-1 monday to thursday and teaches two CrossFit classes a week called Back2Basics from 4-5. CrossFit is also free. These are government contracted trainers. They get paid by the government. The trainer I had is really good. That good, that Westpoint Military Academy asked him to come train Army Cadets for three weeks.
    On the Air force side they have a CrossFit gym. On base there are quite a few CrossFit challenges too.

Our trainer does have you sign a waiver, and it asks if you have any physical problems. If so, you need to get a slip signed by your medical provider with the approval of you doing CrossFit. If the doctor does not approve, he won't let you do CrossFit. If a soldier got injured, or had surgery and wants to get into CrossFit, he sometimes does a moderated or specialized work out for that soldier/ or military dependent. We had a pregnant lady who did CrossFit before she got pregnant, and once she got pregnant, he modified the work out for her. When I hurt my ankle during a fall, he modified the work out for me.

I have to admit, I am about the only woman there when I go there. But, the guys that I work out with are either retirees, government workers, and younger soldiers. Funny enough, they encourage me to work harder, to strive for a better goal and to push on. They are really nice and when my husband got hurt and I was gone for a while, they had wondered how I was doing.
    I guess no macho in our gym, as we are all "family". We encourage eachother instead of putting eachother down.
    I really don't care either what anyone thinks of me and how I perform. If I make progress I will cheer, I will celebrate that. My fellow CrossFitters will cheer me on, too.
    There are a few more women during the Back2Basics classes.
  • moomoo84
    Options
    I start my onramp in mid Feb

Our gym is one of the best priced in the area, my hisband is RX level, my 3yr old and 4yrold do crossfit kids, I have tried out a couple of classes and had nothing but support and constant guidance from the most experienced and those who were newish too. Sure there are some buff guys - all gyms have those guys! Not one of them is an idiot and doesn't think they are better than anyone else there. Our gym is very family orientated and they won't go all ape**** on you if you aren't paleo.

CrossFit costs more because you are pretty much having a personal trainer. There are no more than 12 people in a class for our gym

As for injuries - heck you could injure yourself in any sport!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Crossfit is KNOWN for being extreme. That is a fact that the Crossfit organization pushes. If people want to do extreme exercises and get extreme fitness, fine.

BUT ... the vast majority of people that go to the gym do not want or need that level of extreme exercise routines, nor do they seek extreme fitness. They just want to go to the gym and get moving to keep their health in good shape, burn some calories and possibly lose some weight. To those people (who are in the majority) the kind of extreme training provided by Crossfit can be beyond what they need, or want to engage in or pay for.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    While it's true they can "scale down" the workout, who wants to be in a gym where the majority of participants are mancho tough guys, and you are just wanting to get in a reasonable workout? Crossfit would make most people feel like a first grader trying to compete with college kids.

While I understand and appreciate your personal preference, this statement is untrue. The majority are not macho tough guys, we have all shapes, sizes, genders and ages at our Crossfit. One of the most consistent regulars is a 50 year old korean lady, so I hope people will not be scared away of trying it. Everyone at my box is supportive and friendly and from what I hear/read on the Crossfit group board, most other boxes are like this too.

Yes everyone's needs and preferences are different, but all things are worth a try. There is more often than not a free intro class for anyone that wants to try it and I'm sure if you were still unsure after the first class they would let you come a second time at least as well. I know after the first time though, I was hooked.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I am sorry to hear you got hooked on Crossfit. Yes, many Crossfit boxes offer free classes and make it seem doable to the newbie and try to make you think they have something special you can't get at other gyms because that's the easiest way to bring people in and get them hooked.. But after you finish the "on ramp" and the workouts become more extreme, participants are often "encouraged" to push their bodies harder than they should to keep up. and many end up getting injured..

This article in the NY Times is important for anyone considering Crossfit to read -- "Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Crossfit is nothing but a BRAND with an expensive PR campaign. You can get workouts that included a lot of variety without having to get involved with the problems associated with the Crossfit organization if you do a circuit training or boot camp class instead.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree you can get variety elsewhere, and again it's personal preference. I don't expect everyone that goes to enjoy it as much as I do. I've lost 150lbs already doing cardio, morrrrrrre cardio, weight training, zumba, spinning, boot camps, sports...the list goes on and on.....for ME, this is the first thing I am absolutely enthusiastic about attending. I am interested in charting my weights and strength progressions. I'm excited being able to do 6 pullups with an assistance band today when I couldn't do any two months ago. To me if you go to a certain class every day, i.e., 5:30am for me, you see the same people and you become sort of a team.

I thought the pricing was outrageous at first as well, but class sizes are limited, so you are receiving personal attention. I used to pay $50 a session for a personal trainer, so I see this as a bargain that I'm getting a personal trainer 5x a week for $125 a month. I'll absolutely take it.

I find I personally thrive in the competitive (competing with myself and my previous times and weights) atmosphere, but I would never recommend my mom to do it, she is happy spinning away on a bike and sitting by herself lifting dumbbells, whereas I'd rather hit myself in the head with one than do a boring dumbbell routine anymore.

It is doable to newbies - I weigh 240 lbs and started in December. I'm not exactly the fitness model or the young girl in the booty shorts in the crossfit ads, neither is the 50 year old korean lady. Anything you can't do, you don't do and it is scaled down.

Also idk about other Crossfit boxes, but my coach does not allow newbies to just pick up 100s of lbs of weight and just start deadlifting. He will give us a PVC pipe, show us the move, watch us do it and if we can't pick it up or do it incorrectly we're not ready for it yet and he will give us something different to do, so your article from 2005 that was posted maybe perhaps shed more light into the future of Crossfit that coaches should help on technique more....I know mine do and they watch us do it with the weight we have on the bar first before the workout begins. If it's wrong we are to take weight off becasue it's too heavy.

Anyway, whatever method people choose to pursue fitness is up to them, good luck to everyone and whatever you all choose :) At least we're all moving!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    There are other gyms that offer teams and competition for those who want it.

You don't have to go to Crossfit to get that either.

For example, a local gym is offering a "biggest loser" type program where they have several teams that exercise together several times a week, doing a wide variety of activities, and are weighed every week to see who lost the most.

If Crossfit really wanted to make their program for everyone, they would not set such demanding goals for their workouts that force nearly everyone to scale WAY down in order to do some version of them.

BTW, a Crossfit coaching certification is one of the biggest jokes in the fitness industry. All people have to do to get one is pay Crossfit a bunch of money and answer some questions. From what I've read, people don't need to have any kind of physical education or coaching experience beyond that to qualify as a Level 1 Crossfit Trainer.
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    <
    I CF and love it. I do at home in my shop though. I have been to the local BOX and keep in touch. My newest shirt is from that BOX. I also belong to a group on here called Crossfit Love. Join and you can discuss all things CF and not shredded for it.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Those of us that chose not to drink the CrossFit Kool Aid and can see the less-than-positive side of the Crossfit organization have the right to express our opinions and educate people too!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    <
    I CF and love it. I do at home in my shop though. I have been to the local BOX and keep in touch. My newest shirt is from that BOX. I also belong to a group on here called Crossfit Love. Join and you can discuss all things CF and not shredded for it.

Obviously, the fact you participate in CrossFit makes you completely unqualified to offer an opinion on CrossFit. Haven't you been paying attention?
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I did CrossFit for about 2 years. Except...not the traditional. I did Workout of the Day and used their general training plans and exercises, and based off some Google research on muscle groups, had put together a ton of 20-30 min routines. It was pretty awesome. But as noted, traditional CrossFit is really expensive.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Crossfit is just a brand name. The exercises they use have been around for ages. Anyone could put a bunch of exercises together and have basically the same thing without all the expense.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    :sad:
    6rsiuv.jpg