Feel Fat

Options
God help me, after all that dieting and all that weight loss, I still feel fat! Lost over 50lbs, I think I lost my mind too, I can't see myself as a normal size anymore; I still go to the oversize clothes section, I still wear my X-L cloth. I don't feel comfortable when wear any other sizes; I feel people look at me and thinking why that fat lady wear that small shirt. Crazy me?????????!!!!!!!!

Replies

• bekah1301
    bekah1301 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Maybe find a shop that offers a personal shopper service as a treat? (Which I think you deserve after losing 50lb!!! Well done!!!!) They're really good at finding things that really flatter whatever body type/shape you have. I always feel best when I'm wearing something someone else has told me I look good in!
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    It's hard to view yourself objectively, especially after years of being overweight.

I'm not sure what the best path to accepting your body is but I think the first step might be to learn not to care what people think. Wear clothes that fit AND are comfortable. Give yourself permission to show yourself off, even if you may not be 'ideal' in the eyes of society.

I'm still pretty uncomfortable with my body after 40 lbs lost and I have trouble NOT thinking of myself as fat but just take it one day at a time.

Losing the mental baggage that has built over the years is far harder then losing the fat baggage! But you can do it! You've conquered your body, now it's time to conquer your mind.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    In the same idea as Bekah, I suggest going shopping with someone. I often shop with friends or my mom or sister and it's alot easier to find clothes when you have someone else with you. Sometimes you need another person to pull things off the rack for you to try on that end up looking great, but they aren't something that you would have picked. I plan on taking my fashionable 19 year old sister to the mall once I've lost enough weight to warrant new clothes. I've realized I also have trouble dressing a skinnier me. I tend to buy alot of shirts that are airy at the bottom to hide a tummy. I finally bought a few fitted shirts (i just have to stand straight so my smaller tummy doesn't stick out) and they look SO much better. Make a girls day and go shopping, I think you definitely deserve it after losing 50 lbs!
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Ohhhh I feel your pain. At times I feel the same. Something that does help me feel better is looking at old photos and comparing them to the recent photos. The other thing you can do is write down 5 things that you are grateful for....can be anything. It might help eliminate some of your negative thoughts about yourself. Be proud of your accomplishments.....WTG 50 lbs. That is AMAZING!!!!!!! and finally, take yourself out and buy something pretty to wear that is in your new current size.....you deserve it!!!!
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. I was surprised at my own emotional reaction to losing weight. I know that some people rush right out and buy new smaller clothes as soon as they can fit into them, but I have to admit that I wore my same old clothes even when they were too big for me; I finally bought jeans in a size smaller (which was actually still too big); and then a couple days ago I "broke down" and bought a pair of jeans that are just slightly loose. I'm "practicing wearing" that smaller size and trying to make myself believe it... I've been heavy for so long that I guess I lost the weight faster than my brain could adjust. :laugh: I have a couple pounds to go, and then comes the challenge of "maintenance". This whole experience has been such an unbelievable one that I keep expecting to "wake up and discover it was all a dream". :smile:

Hope you will find joy in "the new you" and ignore what others might think. You certainly have earned the right! Nice job.
  • edmanski
    edmanski Posts: 8
    Options
    Crazy I know! Was just thinking about how I would much prefer the weight just drop of my stomach because I care nothing about losing belt sizes! I mean, who wants new clothes anyway? Okay, new duds are nice, but really, I kinda like some of the threads I got....

So the best thing for me is to think from within. I know I'm feeling better. I know I'm treating myself better. I know I'm lowering risk factors. I know that being healthy is simply just "being" the best I can be. It's all perception and how we feel. And if you feel great inside about how great you've been treating yourself, then that's all that matters.

But alas, do something fun to rid yourself of some of your "Linus" safety blankets. Every baby needs to get rid of her binky, right? So find the worst shirt you've got, some socks, anything, and toss it in the gagbage. No putting it in a pile to be "charitable" because those piles never leave the house. Just take a pair of socks, and toss them! Work your way up. Break free of some of the associative anchors that are reminicient of the old you.

You are perfect and you are wonderful!
  • livewell2010
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great advices; I guess we are all normal people and hard to see ourselves as superstars, but I will have to try because my kids and my husband been telling me I'm a superstar:flowerforyou:
  • GRose
    GRose Posts: 69
    Options
    Try a new bra when you're trying on new clothes. It can & WILL work wonders!!! Lane Bryant has awesome bras & offers free sizing plus they're always on sale buy 1 get 1 half off.