Old You vs New You

envy09
envy09 Posts: 353 Member
To be more specific, what changes have you made in your life that the you of the past would have a hard time beveling? Personally, past me would probably have a hard time believing I'm interested in eating right and working out. I remember sitting in a chair with a bag of chips in my hand telling my friends that I would never work out and that I was just too lazy for any kind of fitness.

How about you?

Replies

• milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    17 months ago I could not run 30 seconds, now I can easily run 10 miles. I used to watch the IronMan on the TV and think "those people are crazy, WHY would they want to do that", and now I am training for my first half IronMan with an eye on the whole by 2015!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Old versus new..

The old me would never hesitate to grab a slice (or half) of pizza, or to run to the most tasty-sounding fast food joint and order up stuff. I remember the days where a MEAL would be a large french fry, two (or even three) orders of Wendy's chicken nuggets, and a large Frosty. Holy crap. Or, close to (if not) an entire pizza from Hungry Howie's.

The old me would go into the gym, walk for 15-20 minutes, do a few bicep curls, and call it a workout. The old me would never DREAM of how hard one can really push themselves to work out as I (and probably the vast majority of the rest of you here) do. The old me would have laughed if I thought some day I might have the chance to sport a body that was actually beach-ready.

Even when I was obese, I always thought it was important for people to eat right and do physical activity, but I simply never lived it. I was so lazy it's insane.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Barely touching chocolate or crisps, I used to eat them everyday. I don't remember the last time I had a coke.

I'll look at a piece of cake and think "Ugh I'd rather have real food".

I drink water every day now instead of coke and juice.

ETA: I couldn't do a single push up before I joined mfp, I can now do 300 in a day.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Not having soda or juices! I love juice and now I would much rather have a cup of ice cold water with my dinner. I also never thought I could do a pull up in my life or WANT to go for a run! I like to think I am my 'old self again' since I was thin and gained but I think I am a better person now since gaining and losing. (even when i was healthy and a dancer I didn't like 'working out' and couldn't run a mile to save my life). I Love that I like myself again and have a new respect for my accomplishments and I don't use the words I CANT anymore!
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Old me would have never gotten up and exercised first thing in the morning.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    This is actually a really useful technique that is used in therapy where you compare old me thinking and new me thinking. Excellent post OP.

Old me = Takeout food was eaten 3-4 times a week. 3 or 4 dishes from chinese. Whole Large dominos with sides. Large bottles of coke. New me = Takeout food is a rare treat and I can eat 1-2 dishes without going over cal allowance.

Old me = Counting calories is a hassle. It doesn't really matter. I don't eat that badly. New me = counting calories is relatively easy and it's fun when I find a product not on here and get to enter it for everyone else's benefit, making myself useful.

Old me = Exercise is boring and difficult, aka not fun. New me = exercise gives me more energy and elevates my mood. It's still difficult, but also enjoyable.
  • cstinson496
    cstinson496 Posts: 4 Member
    OLD ME WOULD NEVER BELIEVE THAT DIETING WOULDNT INCLUDE 100 CALORIE PACKS OF WHATEVER...THAT I WOULD EVER CONSIDER DOING THE TOUGH MUDDER OR THE CROSSFIT GAMES. THE OLD ME WOULDNT BELIEVE THAT I EAT AS CLEANLY AS POSSIBLE NOW...AND LIFT WEIGHTS REGULARLY AS PART OF MY EXCERCISE. THE NEW ME LOVES GOOD WHOLE FOOD, AND IS PROUD AT THE LITTLE I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED AND KNOW THAT I CAN HIT MY GOAL.
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Old me would never have quit smoking. New me is really glad I did.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    The old me wouldn't believe that I would ever look forward to going to the gym on Monday because I'd be upping the weights.

The old me wouldn't believe that the glass of wine that I'm having at the moment was the first drink of the week and the one that follows it will be the last.

The old me wouldn't believe that I have bought protein powders and shakes for post-workout snacking rather than just hitting the gin.

The new me can't believe that it took me so long to start lifting heavy. :-D
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Old me - couldn't do a single crunch. New me - can freakin kill with the crunches.

Old me - hated sore muscles. New me - kinda digs the sore muscles.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Old me:
    "I don't have as much energy because i'm older".
    "I can't work out as much because i'm older".
    "I need more food to keep my energy up because i'm older."
    "I think I will keep my shirt on at the beach"
    "who has time to log exercise and food".
    "I work too much to have energy for working out".

New me:

"Just do it and stay consistent because it does work".
    "it's a lifestyle change, not a diet".
    "check out my before/after pictures".
    I only drink water.
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Old me: never exercised and breaking a sweat was unheard of. New me: Sweat runs down my face in droves. Especially during spinning and weight lifting.

Old me would not have thought a day could go buy without a coke and a smile. New Me: I haven't had soda in 18 months.

Old me: typical meal did not include vegetables. Sandwhiches, french fries, pizza, onion rings. New me: I eat 10 servings or more of vegetables a day!

Old me: Yo Yo dieted and never kept the weight off more than 3 months. New Me: I have been loosing weight for 18 months straight..

Old me. Everything I ate had melted cheese on it and everything was fried or coated in excess amounts of butter. New Me. Butter every now and then and one serving of cheese a day.

Who knew. I didn't! I love the new me.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Old me would have scoffed at the idea of even being capable of running 2 miles in under 17 minutes or 19 for that matter. New me just did it twice last week. 16:35 and 16:32. I also remember saying "I don't think I could ever get into the 120s again. I am just too muscular." HA HA HA old self. You were just making excuses.
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Old me: Getting Taco Bell take-out via the drive-thru after picking up Chinese takeout and having a few drinks (I wasn't driving!). The Taco Bell was for the ride home as you can't eat Chinese food in the car easily. Sickening...

New me: Eats neither, can't be trusted with it!

Great thread!