no weight loss yet - ughhh !!

Options
I've been eating 1300 calories per day, with the odd treat and exercising 3 times a week plus walking the pram for an hour per day most days and after 7 days got on the scales this morning and have not lost a single pound.

I need to lose about 20lbs of post pregnancy weight.

What am I do wrong ????

Does it normally take a while for the weight loss to register ???

Appreciate any advise from more experienced users.

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    1. You could have been gaining muscle during your exercise sessions. Sometimes, the weight doesn't come off, according to the scale, but your body measurments get a little smaller.
    2. If you have eaten foods high in salt (sodium), your body could be retaining fluids. Do you drink lots of water (aiming for 8 cups per day)? Lots of water is needed to flush your food and extra salt and wastes from your body.
    My suggestion: Keep following the program with lots of fruits, veggies, healthy carbs, lean protien, healthy fats, and exercise. This combination will work with time and (occasionally) patience.
    You can do this! We are rooting for you!! Have fun with your sweet baby--take lots of naps together. BJB
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Your muscles could be retaining water if exercise is new to you. Give it a few weeks. I lost only 2 1/2 pounds my first month and 10 my second. Buy yourself a tape measure and keep track of your measurements. I didn't lose much weight at first but I lost several inches from my waist and hips because of the exercise.
    Hang in there! Sometimes it takes a bit for our bodies to realize we're serious.
  • Aelflaed
    Aelflaed Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey there Sunita,

We're kind of on the same boat except that I haven't just had a baby.

Been really good watching my calorie intake and walking 30 mins everyday but I haven't lost! worst, I put on 2 pounds!

I was told I may not be eating enough and putting my body in starvation mode. Maybe that's your case as well?

Good luck!
  • sunita75
    sunita75 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there.

I did wonder the same thing, but when I calculated my BMR, it suggested 1300 calories was the right amount for me given age, height and current weight.

Im hoping my body is just adjusting to all the exercise etc do will keep perservering.

Good luck to you
  • Aelflaed
    Aelflaed Posts: 6
    Options
    1300 cals is right for you if you're not doing any exercise. If you are, you should eat more or your body will starve and keep the weight on!

Example: for my height, weight and age, my body needs 1400 cals in order to lose weight and still manage to go through the day. But if I add exercise, for example I walk 30 mins each day, I'm burning an extra say 150 (I don't really know how much) calories a day, I need to eat those 150 cals back or I'll starve. If I starve I don't lose weight. I stagnate, or pile on pounds.

Hope that helps! :-)
  • sunita75
    sunita75 Posts: 10
    Options
    I tend to burn about 400 calories per day through exercise, and struggle to eat enough to make this up, so it could be that I'm eating too little and body is storing fat cos of starvation.

It's actually quite hard to consume additional calories without eating rubbish though I find, plus tend not to be hungry.

Will give increasing calorie intake ago though and see if it helps.

Thanks
  • msdeborah
    msdeborah Posts: 11
    Options
    Don't try so hard and don't think about what you can't eat, think about what you can eat. Go for canned fruits that you put in plastic containers for snacks and meals. Drink natural juices. Hide the remote from yourself so you have to get up and walk when you could ride whenever possible. Be true to yourself, we didn't gain overnight and we won't loose it overnight. You can do this. Every little thing you do will help. Eventually. Let's GOOOOOoo. Be encouraged. I'll probably even gain a little back, but I won't get off the see-saw. :flowerforyou: