I'm training for a half marathon and I'm scared/nervous.

Options
I'm on my second week of training and I'm nervous about it all. I tried doing it once before but quit half way through because I was going to school and got too overwhelmed about training/showing up for the race. This time I got my dad to join me but I keep having all these doubts pop into my head, like what if I can't make it or get injured. I'm also a college student and feel like once school starts again it's going to be much harder to stay on the same schedule I'm on right now. I mean I know I can do it if I'm smart about training but at the same time I keep having to fight this voice in my head that says it's a goal that is too far out of my reach, especially with me having extra weight to lose.

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You can do this.
    Keep telling yourself that. With training for distance a lot of it's mental - if you go out knowing you can do it it'll be a lot easier than if you go out with doubts.

When's the race?

Feel free to add me if you'd like - I can try to motivate you. On February 11 I start training for a full at the end of May.
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Dont give up. Focus on the process. Maybe some short term goals leading up to your race could help keep you motivated. Maybe like run a 5K. Before you know it the race will be here and you will be ready.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It's understandable to be nervous, but each time you run, set a small goal for distance or time or whatever you need. What happens if you need to walk? Nothing. There is nothing wrong with walking a little during a race or training unless you are in it to win which most people aren't. It's hard and it can be discouraging BUT you are still doing something really amazing. You are still going to complete a distance many won't even attempt. Simply go out there with small goals and tell others what they are. That way, you'll be more determined to keep them. I am also training for a 1/2 and I tell my family every time I go out just how far I plan to run. Every time I get back, they ask if I did it and get so excited when I say that yep, I sure did. Also, think about how awesome those times are when you go out and run and aren't studying and sitting in a class--put your music on and enjoy. You'll come back more focused and ready to do your school work. Good luck!
  • luvlife869
    luvlife869 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The race is on April 21st so I have a while to get ready. That's awesome! My goal for the end of the year is to run a full but I want to get the half marathon out of the way first and get over this mental block that I keep having.

Thanks to both of you! I'll definitely focus on today and not think about when the race is going to happen. I'll also try and fit in a few smaller races so the half marathon race doesn't seem so overwhelming.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Good for you - best way to lose weight is to run.
  • luvlife869
    luvlife869 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks Valerie! I needed that! :)