How do I log Kettlebell workouts?

Options
Not really sure how I would log Kettlebell workouts, and I do not have a HRM. Any ideas?

Replies

• taniaandmichael
    taniaandmichael Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Maybe circuit training??
  • JBWILLOW
    JBWILLOW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks Crosby, that's what I was thinking
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I do kettebell exercise too... so I looked up some info online. Here is what I found, not sure how accurate:

The results showed that the average participant burned about 20 calories per minute during the kettlebell workout, which equates to 400 calories during a typical 20-minute kettlebell workout.

Found it on here: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast
  • JBWILLOW
    Options
    I do kettebell exercise too... so I looked up some info online. Here is what I found, not sure how accurate:

The results showed that the average participant burned about 20 calories per minute during the kettlebell workout, which equates to 400 calories during a typical 20-minute kettlebell workout.

Found it on here: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast

Cool thank you so much!!
  • taniaandmichael
    taniaandmichael Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've seen that. It just seems so high. I wonder if how heavy the weights are matter. I'm only using 7lb and 10lb right now.
  • JBWILLOW
    Options
    I know I have seen that in multiple places as well. I just looked again and saw it a few other places, so it must be somewhat accurate
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    An HRM is worth the investment.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    "strength training" under cardio on your exercise diary? Without an HRM it's difficult I know, but that's what I use for weight lifting at the gym. Well done for doing it!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing it burns 20 calories a minute, and yes, the weight used would matter.

Even going all-out, it is hard for me to burn 10 calories a minute... That would have to be some extremely hardcore work.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

That's way too much, depending on your weight and age and whatever else...

I do a hardcore kettlebell workout, about forty minutes of go, go go, nonstop with a 15lbs kettlebell...I am 5'8, weigh 176lbs and according to my Garmin HRM burns between 314 and 320 calories in that time - not even close to 800....
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    According to my heart rate montitor, I burn about 10.5 calories per minute.

I'm 6 Feet, 285 lbs. I'm thinking 20 calories per minute are a bit high.

FYI, it's also possible that I'm a slow wuss.

Edit: This is using 25lb to 50lb kettlebells depending on the exercise.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    According to my heart rate montitor, I burn about 10.5 calories per minute.

I'm 6 Feet, 285 lbs. I'm thinking 20 calories per minute are a bit high.

FYI, it's also possible that I'm a slow wuss.

Edit: This is using 25lb to 50lb kettlebells depending on the exercise.

LOL, if that makes you a slow wuss, I think I might be dead with around 8 cals a minute!:laugh:
  • ithink2020
    ithink2020 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The 20 calories per minute refers to doing the Kettlebell Snatch. The American Council on Exercise proved that doing the snatch/swing burned 20.2 calories per minute.

“We estimated oxygen consumption and how many calories
    they were burning aerobically, and it was 13.6 calories per minute.
    But we also measured the blood lactate, so anaerobically they were
    burning another 6.6 calories per minute,” explains Porcari. “So
    they were burning at least 20.2 calories per minute, which is off
    the charts. That’s equivalent to running a 6-minute mile pace. The
    only other thing I could find that burns that many calories is crosscountry skiing up hill at a fast pace.”

Here is the link to the article on it: http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf

With that said, most people do KB Swing/Snatches in intervals. So, if you are doing equal work to rest for 30 minutes, you would only count 15 min of actually swinging.

Hope this helps,

Matt
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I love working out with kettlebells. Just sayin'.
    Helpful discussion!
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell is my new love!
  • edelhega
    edelhega Posts: 1
    Options
    In the exercise section here it works out as 423 calories for a 45 min session ????
  • MaggieHesebeck
    Options
    I do this daily and I don't have any doubt it burns that many calories. I sweat my rear off and feel more burned out than if I were to run a 10k in under an hour. And that burns almost 700 calories. I use heavier weights though, at least 20kg bells for snatches usually and at least 24kg for swings. I'm 185lbs and 5'8".
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'd call it strength training. Maybe circuit training if it's a high intensity one that involves kettlebells. But probably strength training
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    In the exercise section here it works out as 423 calories for a 45 min session ????

Where did you find kettlebells in the exercise section here?