Excuses are like...

Options
Ok, So I am pretty frustrated with myself right now. I decided I was going to get my butt in gear and make some changes. A friend recommended this site and so far I love it. What I am not loving is my lack of motivation to actually do what I've set out to do. All these BS excuses keep popping into my head.

At first it was: " After I have this baby and am cleared for exercise, I'm on it! ( September)
Then It was: "Oh, hey it's Thanksgiving. Might as well wait til the holidays are over..."

A few days before Christmas I started really paying attention to what I was eating and portion control.

Then New Years rolls around. Been reading up on a bunch of stuff, super pumped to get started. Got my notebook all snazzy with my goals and detailed outlines of what i am going to do and when. From Dec 22 til about a week and a half ago went very well. Granted I still pretty much ate like a teenage boy- BUT i was eating less of it and lost 3 lbs.

Then I got bored... Then the excuses started coming back....:ohwell:

It will be easier when we move, I'll exercise then.
When taxes come back I can get ________ (things I don't REALLY need to lose weight)
When it warms up I can start walking.

I am getting on my own nerves! I NEED TO JUST DO IT!!!! :blushing:

Replies

• klund73
    klund73 Posts: 10
    Options
    Awww! I feel your pain. Unfortunately, excuses were always my reason to not take better care of myself. Then I started thinking about stuff. REALLY morbid stuff... like what if I got into a car accident and broke my back and could never walk again? Or, what if I contracted a really horrible disease and it affected my ability to utilize motor skills and couldn't run anymore? Or, even, what if I fell down the stairs and broke my leg and the infection got so bad that it had to be amputated? (Told ya, pretty morbid stuff!)

These thoughts were what really kicked me into gear to do this. I have a friend who is wheelchair bound from a horrific accident and wishes everyday that he could just take a couple of steps again. I have a neighbor who is wheelchair bound and can't get her garbage to the curb (I do it for her)...

Here's my point (or my epiphany if you will...) I have two perfectly good working legs that I am taking for granted everyday that I don't use them to better myself. Am I tired all the time from my hypothyroidism? Yep. Am I struggling to not feed my face because my hormones are all out of whack and can't tell me when I am actually full? Yes ma'am. Do my joints feel achy from months of sedentariness and my knees just want to be jerks? *ehem* Hell yeah. Are these valid excuses to not get up and do something awesome for myself that will most likely cure all of these "ailments"? Nope!!

We can make all the excuses in the world to not do something, but when it comes right down to it, we can't really come up with ONE valid excuse that should keep us from doing anything. When you decide in your mind that you want to do it, that's all it takes. Sorry for being so grody... :o)
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    When you feel like giving an excuse, think, I am cheating myself only. Put a photo of your target weight on the fridge and when you are tempted to eat junk.

Always have your next meal or snack ready so that you don't go looking for food.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Here's my point (or my epiphany if you will...) I have two perfectly good working legs that I am taking for granted everyday that I don't use them to better myself. Am I tired all the time from my hypothyroidism? Yep. Am I struggling to not feed my face because my hormones are all out of whack and can't tell me when I am actually full? Yes ma'am. Do my joints feel achy from months of sedentariness and my knees just want to be jerks? *ehem* Hell yeah. Are these valid excuses to not get up and do something awesome for myself that will most likely cure all of these "ailments"? Nope!!

That is awesome. I have never thought of it that way. Fantastic way of looking at it!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    with each delay you're most likely gaining weight that will take you months to get rid of once you're on track. I did that.. put off starting this until after the new year. Now I have 10 extra pounds from my normal start weight when i need to lose. I try not to get angry with myself as i work so hard to get these ten pounds off..to get to my usual overweight starting point. Six more to get down to that...so? another month at least. It is a drag.
  • NixxyPetal
    Options
    I think a lot of people will sympathise with this...it's so easy to give yourself a reason not to do something... Have you heard of the Beck Diet Solution? There's a book, and a workbook, and it's basically cognitive behavioral therapy self help. I have a copy sitting on my bookshelf that I keep meaning to commit to, so maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but I have met people it worked wonders for. Good luck :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    That's SAYIN something if you're getting on your OWN nerves! :laugh:

We all make excuses. It's why I have my lovely figure today! :tongue:

Excuses are like armpits. Everyone has two of them and they both stink.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I hear excuses all the time, when I am with a client and they feed me so many excuses I will eventually stop pestering them to get moving. If I am bugging you that is a good thing, you don't want me to stop hounding you,