should i open my diary, i'm soooooo scared!

Options
i've been on this site for 5 years and i love it. i love the concept, the app and the fact that i've stuck with it for so long! so now i feel like i need a kick in the *kitten* and should i include/open my diary. i've been on here for so long but it seems like there are so many negative people now. i'm pretty hard to offend but this really itimidates me. so what would you do? i feel like it will push me but
i'm also hesitant of the backlash i will recieve...so not sure......

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    people don't care about you that much. I know that sounds kinda mean but it's the truth, no person in their right mind will have the patience and time to critique a diary other than their own.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    what do you have to prove to people? who cares if they have something to say. and maybe what they say would help in some way? i leave mine open only because im a real person and im going to do what im going to do. and what im doing is working whether or not they agree.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It's not really that big a deal I think? Open it, don't open it, it's totally up to you. Maybe open it, keep it slightly ajar then slam it shut. Or have a day open, day shut, day open and repeat as often as you like. I randomly open and close mine to keep my friends on the edge of their seats. I don't think they can take the excitement some days. But hey, that's just how I roll...,
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    lol wut?

five years and you've kept your diary closed all this time? what's the point?
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have never - once - had any of my friends say anything bad about my diary - even when I have gone over ..... pick your friends wisely and they will give you sage advice when you ask - kick your behind if you ask them to - and give you a break if you screw up once in a while......

having said that I am pretty serious about eating well, so they do not have much bad to say most of the time - so yes - having it open could keep you more accountable, or make you lie about what you eat......personally I believe you can not lie to your body - it knows if you have screwed up - and will show you on the scale...

So my diary has been open since day one - be honest and you dont have to be scared :-) And by the way I know my pals actually read it as they comment on my menu quite a lot ie. "mmmm now I feel like salmon", or "ooohhh mango's!!" ;-)

Good luck whatever you decide
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    There comes a great power and sense of relief when you stop caring what other people, especially strangers, think of you. My diary is open, I know I'm not perfect and I don't care who sees it.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try opening it for a week, just to your friends? I find the accountability really helps - there are often times when I decide not to have a biscuit, a packet of Doritos, or yet another G&T, because I don't want to enter it into my log. My friends aren't overly critical though - if I go over they tell me well done for logging anyway, and they are very encouraging if I'm under a little or hit the target. A couple people are constructively critical, because that's what I've asked for.

Personally I don't like to say 'good job' on a closed diary, because I have no idea what you ate. You could be under your calorie goal, but ate nothing but jelly babies that day...I think you'll get more support if you open up.

If your friends are mean, DELETE THEM. Simple as that.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and no one is ever mean to me. If they are get rid of them.
  • scrook43
    scrook43 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I also like the accountabiliy, and sometimes when I get in a rut, maybe someone can see something that I can tweak and get me back on the right tracak again
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nobody gives a flying **** what you do with your diary. You shouldn't let what other people think bother you anyway. If you're that sensitive, just keep it closed and save yourself the headache. What you eat is none of anyone's business anyway.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    lol wut?

five years and you've kept your diary closed all this time? what's the point?

This is rude. Do diaries have to be open to have a point? How about none of other people's business?
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether you think it will help your weightloss or if you are just thinking of doing because you think you should. If you are scared of hearing feedback, it may be better to only keep it open for friends as you know the feedback will be positive.

Everyone is different though so it is hard to say.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    if having your diary open bothers you then dont do it and you will still lose weight. Remember that other people's comments are nt nasty they are just telling you things that you do not always want to hear. It is just human nature.

You will lose more weight with an open diary.

Maybe only open it to certain friends who you trust to tell you the truth.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Well, I like mine open for accountability. Like, today I overate and if people call me a fatass, I'm all for it! Makes me work harder tomorrow.
  • KSadgrove
    KSadgrove Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends, so i know who is seeing it! Even if only a few people have a look at it, it makes you feel more responsible to keep it healthy and eat well!
  • Star_Basil
    Options
    I'd say do whatever you're comfortable with. If you open it and someone is cruel about your choices block them. This is supposed to be a tool to help not to make you feel bad. So if you're afraid of honesty on your diary due to haters either keep it closed or block/ignore the haters.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Mine is just open to friends.

If you need advice though it's going to need to be open most likely.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Having mine open keeps me more accountable. I think the only ones who ever look at it are my friends and they sometimes give constructive comments but usually it's just a quick "nice day". Once in a while someone will ask for a recipe. I also get some good ideas from looking at my friends' diaries.
    ETA--congrats for sticking with this for 5 years!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Mine's open - I've never received any backlash. Had friends make suggestions or point out low protein days on occasion, but any feedback has always been good and constructive. If you feel it will be helpful by keeping you more accountable, open it. No shame! We all have days that we're over, or didn't make the best choices - that's life! :smile:
  • fishsticks913
    fishsticks913 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Mine is open..... and good or bad, I like feed back on it.
    Might be good for pointers too... I know I like looking at them for a variety of meals... someone might have something I might like, but did not think of.