Brand Spanking New!

Options
Hi Everyone

Thought I would introduce myself, my name is Jaimee I live in New Zealand.
I consider myself a reasonably fit person (ride horses, walk, swim etc) however I know that I have some kilos that need to shed.
I myself don't feel like I am at a healthy weight - Infact I KNOW I am not. I am weak - have a major sweet tooth and just love food!
I try to eat healthy and regular, however its the afternoon pick me ups that get me...

Pleased to say that at the same time of doing this I am quitting smoking. This will be my second day smoke free. I hadn't really smoked 'full time' for the last month, but I am going to stop that social smoking (the odd one a day then far too many on the weekend!)

I will be walking 5 nights an evening, and swimming (hopefully - time permits) on the weekend, incorporating horse riding also on the weekend, and occasional week nights. BUT now that the sunlight is dwindling that is hard.

I live alone, so that provides me with the control of food I consume for dinners etc.

Any healthy! low fat recipes and tips for those afternoon pick me ups would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• sdscouser
    sdscouser Posts: 320
    Options
    HI there and welcome to a great place. Good luck with your weight loss
  • jimjamjandles
    Options
    Thanks!
    Its the start of something new.

It seems MFP is the place to be - so many new members!

I am looking forward to meet people from all around the world. I have completed my first day, and can definately see there is room for improvement!
    Have found I am addicted to updating this though!! :)
  • sdscouser
    sdscouser Posts: 320
    Options
    that is not a bad addiction to have
  • jimjamjandles
    Options
    Haha i dont think so.
    Have started to become more aware of calories and counting and what choices to make :)
    Am updating my blog daily too...
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    Hehe I thought with a name like that that has to be a kiwi, and sure enough...

Welcome!

Afternoon pick-me-ups get me too - that space between about 1 and 4, I have to learn how to handle better than I currently do.
  • jimjamjandles
    Options
    Haha how does my name scream Kiwi :P its the jandals part ...
    Its a few form of my nicknames then it kinda rolled off the tongue :)

Yes I am mainly orientating on fruits, and am religiously calorie counting now - I always check to see which is fewer calories before consuming.
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they're not called that aaaanywhere else in the world LOL a sure giveaway
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I also have troubles with the afternoon snacking (or snacking period). I have found that when I am having a craving for something to chew gum helps to curve that. Since I have been eating better I have lost five pounds. This website has been a help to know where I am at in the calories and such so that I don't overdo it. I hope that you can reach our goals!
  • jimjamjandles
    Options
    Thanks for the tip :)

I am very watchful of what I eat, so its paying off. Lost 500gm in 4 days!
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you will really like this website. It has been a wonderful blessing to me! This time last year I was quite overweight and unhappy. I started this life change in August of 2009 and today I am almost 33 pounds lighter & 4 sizes smaller. I weigh less today than I did when I was 12 years old. (I am 39, married, and have 3 & 6 year old boys). I am running a 5K on Saturday...something I did once, 10 or 11 years ago. I feel SO good. I still have another 21 pounds to go before hitting my goal though.

Where do you live in New Zealand? I have friends there and have been...though it's been more years than I'd care to count!! I had a wonderful holiday there, lots of great memories! It's a beautiful country. If you have a sweet tooth, that country must be torture though. I can STILL remember all the wonderful sweets. :laugh: Ever been to a place called Strawberry Fare? It was in Wellington. Wonderful desserts!

I wish you well on your journey to better health! If I can help, let me know.

Susan
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

It's so great to see more Kiwis on the site (who can help add to the database, grin).
    Good luck :flowerforyou:

BUT now that the sunlight is dwindling that is hard.

I hear you--I'm really missing the long evenings of summer!
  • jimjamjandles
    Options
    I live in Auckland, which is in the North Island. However originally born in Dunedin, in the South Island :) I try to keep my Southern Girl alive by living on a farm and doing all the out doors things I can! :)

Haha, yes I do notice that the Database is mainly USA and I have updated a few with products in NZ.

Feel free to join the Weekly Weigh in for KIWI's on Wednesday, starting next Wed. I will post a starting post and feel free to add comments, your weigh in and suggestions - etc. All about helping each other and providing motivation :)
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Oooh, an NZ weekly weigh-in? Awesome. I'll watch out for it :D
    Thank you!