HELP! Need advice

Options
In December of 2011 I weighed almost 170 pounds. Through diet and exercise I got down to 130 lbs. I am continuing to do what I did to lose the weight. I exercise 6 times a week. I have switched up my workouts throughout this journey to include Pilates, running, elliptical training, Zumba, and most recently I have began training for a half marathon and doing kettlebell workouts. Along with that I eat well balanced meals with a lot of fresh produce. I am a pre-k teacher so I am always on my feet keeping up with my kids. I have gained back almost ten pounds since August. I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!! It is heartbreaking to me to see that number on the scale. I WILL NOT go back to where I was. I need help! What am I doing wrong. Can anyone give me suggestions, menus, advice? It kills me.

Replies

• chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?
  • sphillippe20
    sphillippe20 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I am also training for a half marathon and as a result actually added a rest day, so now I only work out 5 days and rest 2 (except for dog walks, but those are pretty slow--about 30 minute miles). I have read several places that it's hard to lose while training for a half or a full. Don't exactly know why (altho I assume it has something to do with keeping your body fed for the long runs), but I'm also not trying to lose (been in maintenance since right before my half training started). I have not lost any, and in fact have had a very hard time trying to get rid of 2 pounds I gained over the holidays. I would suggest adding in some more rest and make sure that you are weighing and measuring everything--I had grown a little lax and find now that I'm more conscientious, the 2 extra pounds are finally coming off, very slowly.

Good luck in your race and with the weightloss!
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could have your BF% done in a body pod or by a professional. When I cut I get into single digit bf% and look great but I also know for me at least its impossible to walk around like that year round. Some people can, but without superior genetics most cannot. Usually it takes much more effort and spot on dieting to get the last pounds off where the first pounds fall off with ease.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you still tracking how much you eat? Sometimes we lie to ourselves when we get out of the habit of measuring and logging.
  • sphillippe20
    Options
    Yes I am. I am still following a very strict, well balanced diet.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I can imagine your frustration in gaining back ten of those hard-lost pounds, while keeping up with a strict diet and exercise regime! May I ask, how much were you eating to lose weight and did you change anything at all right before the weight began coming back on?
    I am speculating (only because I've seen it happen many a time before, including to myself) that in the process of losing the weight using a calorie level at or below your bmr you may have stalled out your metabolism. Therefore, if you got to goal weight or close and then eased up just a tiny bit your body is quick to store the "extra" calories as fat.

Have you calculated your TDEE and basal metabolic rate?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Are you accurately measuring everything?
  • 8limbedpanda
    Options
    Could you be gaining muscle? I think that maybe what is going on
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just keep tracking what u eat..... If u don't go over on calories u won't get fat.......
  • suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Could all of your exercising have caused 10lbs of muscle but made your body leaner? Do your clothes still fit or are they getting tight? If they fit I would chalk it up to building muscle and changing the shape of your body because of it.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When we start a new fitness regime or add intensity to existing routines, you mucsles will retain water to repair themselves.That water can stay for weeks! Fustrating I know, but in a swoosh it will come off. If that 10 pounds shows on the scale but yourclothes still fit the same, chances are this is what is happening. You did mention you started kettleballs and training for a mararthon. Keep up the great work!!
  • micheleeleniak
    Options
    I am currently on Ideal protien and am considering going off and joining weight watchers. Has anyone else been discouraged by ideal protien? have any of you tried both and which one did you preffer?
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Get back to tracking each and everything you consume daily and get back into your cardio/pilates routine. You can do it!!!
  • sphillippe20
    Options
    I was just reading about how your retain water when our begin a new workout. I hope this is what is happening to me. My clothes still fit pretty much the same (I say pretty much because my mind has a cruel way of making me see or feel things that are not true or there). I'm sure I have gained some muscle but I still want my weight down. I track everything and am very dedicated. I'm not going to give up. Just keep working through this. I have also seen some articles about supplements (natural) that can help with weight loss. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with this?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I have also seen some articles about supplements (natural) that can help with weight loss. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with this?
    Yes: save your money. They're all scams. Go read through the "Success Stories" forums and see how many people there attribute their success to raspberry ketones, green coffee bean extract, african mango, hydroxycut, or any other over-the-counter "magic pill". The multi-billion dollar diet supplement industry preys on desperate people who want to believe there's a shortcut, "jump start" or quick fix. Don't be one of those people.

Not being mean, just giving you the honest truth. Anybody who tells you there's a "miracle pill" has something to sell you.
  • sphillippe20
    Options
    I try to stay around 1200 a day.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough - calculate your TDEE. Do you really want to live on 1200 calories the rest of your life?
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Do the same clothes fit?
    Do you have photos for yourself to compare? Take one now and put it next to the -10 one. There may be totally no difference (=you are gaining muscle).