Spirulina

Options
Does anybody use it? I bought a bottle before I started eating meat again and only used it a few times. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth starting up again.

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Honestly hun...eating at your calorie goal and exercising is going to be the best methods. Unless this is something you are planning on doing the rest of your life..then don't bother with it :smile:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Spirulina is good for removing toxins from your system, so if you don't have a serious health issue that requires strong and sometimes harmful medications (like chemo), I wouldn't bother with it.

There are plenty of yummy seaweeds out there if you want the nutrients. Nori, wakame, konbu, etc. are readily available in asian markets, Whole Foods, and health food mom-and-pop stores.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A dietitian once told us during a lecture that spirulina is for the whales. Yes it has great nutrients in it but our digestive system isn't made for digesting this stuff. A whales digestive system is apparently different.
    Any Marine Biologists out there who can confirm this?
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I use spirulina while pregnant. For whatever reason, it really helps my siatica pain. I never touch the stuff otherwise. It is icky!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    it's gross. leave it alone.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It is wonderful but expensive to get in the correct form. Some of the stuff on the shelves is so processed and and has so little actual Spirulina in it that you really wouldn't get any benefits out of taking such a low dose.

It is a superfood, here is a link to an article that can explain more if you are interested.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036101_spirulina_superfood_nutrients.html
  • MrAllia
    MrAllia Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Honestly hun...eating at your calorie goal and exercising is going to be the best methods. Unless this is something you are planning on doing the rest of your life..then don't bother with it :smile:

Yep
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Spirulina is good for removing toxins from your system, so if you don't have a serious health issue that requires strong and sometimes harmful medications (like chemo), I wouldn't bother with it.

What specific toxins does it remove?
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Actually, Chorella is better for you than Spirulina. I find it helps with my skin and also helps clean out the villi in the small intestine. I love the stuff and doesn't taste gross like the Spirulina :smile: