question for joggers

Options
I've recently tried jogging. I started walking on my treadmill, then fast walking, then inclining and then adding some jogging. I usually do a combination of all so it is more of an intermitant exercise (which I hear is better for you than only one thing). I usually complete about 10 minutes walking from slow up to fast pace and then into jogging for about 5 mins, then walk for 1 min, then incline for 3 mins, then walk a min, then run again for 3-5 min, repeat ... you get the picture. The longest I have run straight thru is 11 minutes which is no small feat for me. Two months ago, I could barely run for 1 min. Anyway, it has been 2 months since I started exercising and every time I jog on the treadmill, I get a cramp in my right calf. I try to work thru it but it stays the whole time I'm jogging and then calms down when I walk or incline. When I start jogging again it starts up again. At the beginning of my workout, after about 5 mins of walking, I pause the machine and stretch my legs for a minute then back on the treadmill to continue the rest of the workout (usually about 40 mins), then some weights. Any other suggestions on how to stop my calf from cramping. Should I do more stretching in the beginning? Should I stop part way thru and stretch again? I hate stopping when I am in it fully. Help!!!

Replies

• baxterl14
    Options
    Cramping in the legs can happen a lot during cardio exercises if you're not getting enough water during the day, especially within the hour that you start to exercise. Try drinking a bottle of water within forty minutes of getting on the treadmill. If you think you've been drinking enough it might just be a need to stretch, so after your walking warm up take a break to stretch out your right calf. You can do this either by toe touches or by pressing the ball of your foot up against a wall and decreasing that angle.
  • c4chaos610
    c4chaos610 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching enough in the beginning?

I usually stretch for about 5-10 minutes before starting my run.

Congratulations on the progress!!! :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing. After stretching can you do the rest of your 40 minute workout without pain?).
    Another thing I would suggest is resting until it feels better. Also, do you take days off running? I usually only run three days a week tops when I am in good form.

It is a good idea to stretch in the middle and always stretch after your workout.

Honestly you are doing awesome and it won't hurt your gains that much if you take a week or two off.
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    hydrate!! hydrate!! hydrate!! i have only had leg cramps when i dont drink enough water before AND after i run....i always drink at least 20 oz's about 30-40 minutes before i run..and alot of water for the rest of the evening after a run..seems to work for me
  • TC1728
    TC1728 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue when I was doing the Couch 2 5K program. A friend showed me a drill that really helped. Before you get on the treadmill, stretch by taking each fooot and turn them in a circular rotation for about 20-30 seconds each. He uses this drill before he plays tennis and it really helped him. It helped me too. Keep up the good work. There's other tips at www.coolrunning.com
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    thanks to all - I will try the info given
  • MN_Runner2012
    Options
    As others have said. Make sure you are staying hydrated throughout the day. Other advice I would give:

- never stretch or run with cold muscles
    - warm up for a bit and then do some LIGHT stretching
    - do your workout and then do the majority of your stretching after
    - hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Good luck and congrats on the workout program!
  • MN_Runner2012
    Options
    Also, do some calf raises on the edge of your mill or a step. Don't overstretch though.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes? I had a similar problem until I was fitted. ALso, water the day before is important too.
  • ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try eating more potassium. This is found in bananas, etc. A symptom of deficiency is muscle cramps. Do you take vitamins?
    This and lots of water. Also, as said before running every other day is best.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    How's your ankle mobility in that leg? Does it move smoothly when you flex the foot? Can you pull the foot straight back (flex it up) without it wanting to go off to the side? Also, do you have any knots or tenderness where it cramps (trigger points)?
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do take vitamins every day - "one a day" vitamin, fish oil vitamin, B vitamin, 2 magnesium vitamins (500 each). I'm covered in the vitamin area. I will try and increase my water intake - this could be the problem and I will stretch a little longer and rotate my ankles too. I hope it helps because I am excited about the jogging. I may also invest in a new pair of running shoes - these ones are a couple of years old.
    Thanks all,
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Also, with more water comes the loss of vitamins (like potassium, c, ect!) They are "water based". So if you don't take a multivitamin you might want to start. I had an issue with "charlie horses" in the middle of the night for a while due to low vitamin levels.