Lets Talk Water!

Options
I am fairly to to MFP and i have had some sucess. One of my biggest problems is that i dont drink enough water. The recomended amount is eight glasses a day! i can usually drink like two while in class, but after that i just get really sick of drinking it....But water does fill you up and make you eat less, i know i have heard it time and time again.

So help me out here, how do you get enough water everyday??

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I am fairly to to MFP and i have had some sucess. One of my biggest problems is that i dont drink enough water. The recomended amount is eight glasses a day! i can usually drink like two while in class, but after that i just get really sick of drinking it....But water does fill you up and make you eat less, i know i have heard it time and time again.

So help me out here, how do you get enough water everyday??
    mmm I love WATER!

Try a lemon slice or cucumber slice in a glass, if you like it cold, put a pitcher of cold water in the fridge, some like it room temp, you might find you like it more than you realize by playing around with different methods. When you think about it 8 cups of water in a days time is actually pretty easy to do. If you drank two glasses during class, you took in 4 cups (8 oz. = 1 cup), so you're 1/2 way there already!:drinker:

It takes time and looks like you joined up this month so be patient with yourself, the fact that you realize how important water is and want to include it is AWESOME! Might try to space it out a bit, instead of drinking 2 glasses during class have one every couple hours or so if it's to much for you starting out.

You'll get used to it and will find it hard and miss it alot if you're not able to get it in each day.

Cheers:drinker:
  • chicka200413
    Options
    I drink one bottle as soon as I wake up, while I'm getting ready. At work, I have a bottle sitting on my desk at all times, and I keep refilling it from the water fountain. One bottle down during any workout. And one bottle before dinner and another if I feel hungry after dinner...

I do think it helps curve my hunger.

If you don't like water, try it with a wedge of lemon or some frozen berries. Even cucumber makes it nice and refreshing.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    I keep a jug of water at my desk at work (I like it best room temp). Also, I take water wherever I can. Always to a meeting if I can. I have a water bottle that I fill and drink on the way to work. When I get home, I fill it up and put it by my purse. I take it wherever I go. Grocery shopping, picking up kids, wherever - my goal is to have it done by the time I return home (where I fill it up again).

Hope this helps,

Sue :smile:
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    Options
    I take one bottle to work with me daily; it contains a little over 16 ounces, so I know that I have to have four of them a day; I have read that the early you drink it the far better off you are. So I start drinking it in the car on my way to work and that gets me rolling; when I get into the office I fill it up at the water cooler and continue drinking until I have had all 64 ounces.

It seems that the earlier I start in the day the far better off I am and then I also don't have to drink it at night and get up during the night to relieve myself, I am almost 50 - so that is amazing to me!!!!!!

Also, add lemon or lime to your water to "spice" it up (ha, ha)

Good Luck!!!!!!!
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    if you don't drink anything else during the day, it's a lot easier to reach those eight cups a day.

i can't drink water though. i just can't, it gags me there are only two ways to get me to drink water, either i'm really thirsty, or during a workout. but through out the day, i have to mix it with a pack of propel.
  • BrookeAnisse
    Options
    I use Crystal Light, most of the time. It's only 10 calories a packet. I also drink a bottle before eating. This way I don't eat as much and still feel full.
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    What everyone said is true, but most especially that you have to kind of play with it to see what works best for you.

For me, I've found I either need to drink it out of a bottle or out of one of those indestructible things (the plastic ones). I think it may have something to do with seeing how much I'm drinking.

I also can't drink water cold....needs to be room temp for me.

But, I know some people that swear that drinking it out of straws helps them.

Whatever works. I know I usually have trouble getting my 8 in a day, too! Good luck!
  • SexyIsPainful
    SexyIsPainful Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i've read a good way to get it in is to drink 1 or 2 8oz's everytime you eat. I try to break my meals into 6 small meals and drink a glass of water with each. I push for 2 but I dont make that. Then the 2 I drink while working out completes 8........ most time I squeeze fresh lemon in it. I hate drinking plain water......
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you drink water ice cold, your body has to burn more calories to keep you warm. I find it hard to drink it ice cold (it hurts my front teeth), but if I drink it through a straw it's much easier.
  • TeriB19
    TeriB19 Posts: 33
    Options
    Great suggestions!! I have several Rubbermaid 1 quart water bottles and use one everyday. I take it to work and usually like to finish one full quart before lunch, then fill it at lunch and have the second quart in the afternoon. That's my full 8 cups, so anything after that is icing on the cake. If I workout after work I'm guaranteed to finish another full quart during my workout.

(Yeah, I pee a lot)

:)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I keep those little plastic lemon juice bottles in my fridge and add a squirt to my water. I have a water bottle that holds 32 oz. and I have a rule for myself that I must finish at least two a day. I use Crystal light sometimes too. I also have a large plastic water cup that has a straw and it holds 16 oz. I drink one every morning while I wait for my coffee to finish brewing. I only drink water with meals so it is not a problem getting at least 10-12 cups a day :drinker: . I like crushed ice and lemon wedges with the water I drink at meals. If you do it long enough drinking water becomes a natural habit (I do make a lot of trips to the bathroom but I figure that is o.k. as I am probably burning some calories walking back and forth :laugh: )
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    I'm at school all day long - it was tough to get in all my water because I definitely didn't want to spend $1.25 for each bottle of water at the vending machine.

I purchased a 24-pack of water & I carry 3 bottles in my book bag...it get soooo heavy that I promise myself I don't want to carry that thing back to my car LOL, so I make sure I drink all my water. The hardest part is running to the bathroom all the time.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to drink COLD water, too. I like mine to be room temperature and plain water can get kind of boring and hard to drink. I like to use the flavor packets,too. I used to let myself get dehydrated(not on purpose) and only drink when I'm SUPER thirsty. Logging my water has helped me become more conscious of how much I drink. And I've been drinking much more to curb hunger.
  • HannahMarie65
    Options
    thanks alot all, this has helped me alot!!
    Thanks Again :):)
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!! I have several Rubbermaid 1 quart water bottles and use one everyday. I take it to work and usually like to finish one full quart before lunch, then fill it at lunch and have the second quart in the afternoon. That's my full 8 cups, so anything after that is icing on the cake. If I workout after work I'm guaranteed to finish another full quart during my workout.

(Yeah, I pee a lot)

:)

I do the same rubbermade 1 quart- I know i must drink 2 per day. Now I end up drinking about 4 per day!!

( i reach for water now instead of food )
  • melly66
    melly66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is true about you body burns more calories drinking it cold. I always knew that but found it hard to do too. I love the idea of using a straw.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It is not easy to train yourself to drink that much water if you are not use to it. Here is what I did. I purchased a 20oz bottle with a built in straw from Walmart. I make sure I get through three of those a day. The straw helps alot because you suck on it and before you know it, the water is gone. There are several water flavor infusers at the grocery store. Try a few and see what you like. Lemon, lime or cucumber is also a great addition to plain ol' water.
  • msspriss
    msspriss Posts: 14
    Options
    I love water!

I sometimes think about the wonderful texture of the water as if flows into my mouth, how it is something, yet it isn't. How it is pure nothing, and it is wet and beautiful and pure. I try to concentrate on the beauty of how my body is made up of so much water, my brain is made up of so much water, how this is what my body needs.

I do try and keep a water bottle on me at all times. I find that I get munchies if I don't drink water. I don't remember to drink it if I don't have it on me. I usually have one or two bottles of water, and I refill them several times.
  • 1godiva
    1godiva Posts: 5
    Options
    my doctor says that the recommended 8 cups is also including the water that is in the foods you eat. you may be getting more then you think if you are eating alot of fruit and veggies. i drink distilled water which tastes great and helps me drink what i need. i also get board with water only so i mix it up a little. sometimes i use crystal light, sometimes herbal tea bags, an occational diet soda, and i freeze water in those homemade popcycle molds and suck on the ice like it is a regular snack. it helps me avoid the late night munchies.

i also drink as soon as i get up, befor i go to bed, when i brush my teeth and at each meal. regular spaced intervals help it seem less of a chore and soon becomes habit.